1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

new dozer tracks

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Mike L, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    We need to replace chains and pads on our komatsu d65. Anybody have any after market recomendations?

2. cyclone77

cyclone77 Member

Owner operator of kansas oilfield Dozer service
    Might want to check with your local cat dealer, pretty sure they manufacture for all types of machines. In my opinion they are the only way to go as far as quality and hours that you will get out of them. I bought a machine (d6rxl) that Had an aftermarket undercarriage put on prior to us purchasing the machine, only got 1300hrs out of the undercarriage before it went into catastrophic failure. I would be very Leary of anything aftermarket

3. Deeretracks

Deeretracks Senior Member

Shop Foreman
    There are some quality aftermarket brands, you just need to be careful of some of the junk coming out of China and Korea. I use a lot of Berco and haven't had any issues. Stay away from V-Track unless it's a farm machine you rarely use.

4. cyclone77

cyclone77 Member

Deeretracks. How many hours are you getting out of the berco's? My machine came with a IRT undercarriage supposedly "brand new" from a used dealer and we only got about 1300hrs before idler bearings went out and slightly before that pins started to seize up. First indication of crappy undercarriage was that Master links were welded together because metal was so soft that bolts kept pulling out.

5. trackdoc

trackdoc Well-Known Member

Currently working as a HD Mechanic Trainer in Kyr
    I would expect 4500 ish hours out of Berco

6. cyclone77

cyclone77 Member

We are getting anywhere from 5k to 7500hrs out of a Cat Hd undercarriage in a somewhat coninuously changing environment, rock, sand, clay, and a lot of mud/water truck pulls

7. Deeretracks

Deeretracks Senior Member

Shop Foreman
    4500hrs is about it for us using Berco or Deere OEM. All our machines are JD hydrostats so they eat u/c faster than the older machines.

8. bob455

bob455 Member

I would get the komatsu seal and lubed tracks pricey but worth it!

9. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

How many hours did the OEM tracks go?

If the life was good with them, think carefully before changing what works for what might.

10. lbrecht

lbrecht Member

let your Cat dealer product support rep quote it, let them know what you expect to do with it and environment you plan to use it in. big expense but you will get back what you spend. had a d6n lgp go through a set of v track rails in less than a 1000 hours. Berco not bad but wont last like cat.

11. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    jdofmemi, we got 7100 hrs out of the oem tracks. we ended up buying itr chains from tracks and teeth. under $9000 for tracks and pads with a 2 year warranty. hopefully they hold up alright. they showed up yesterday and I tried to put them on today but we recieved 39 link chains and we need 45 link.

12. Dickjr.

Dickjr. Senior Member

I bought a dozer that needed rails and sprockets , the seller opted to put a set on for me, they used ITR. So far so good with 400 hrs on them since May. It is on a smaller tractor , D39EX. I did question this , and called other suppliers about ITR. There is 3 different grades , and I have the better of the three.