• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Cummins engine

Tenwheeler

Did someone mention Deltic..?
The most common model was classed as an 18-cylinder. 3 banks of cylinders in a triangle formation, 3 cranks, 6 cylinders in each bank, each with two opposed pistons. They make a nice noise too. Skip to 2:55 for the really tasty part......

Those look really impressive. One of my grandfathers worked for Illinois Central Gulf. If I recall correctly he said 1 good steam locomotive would pull 100 cars over Mt Vernon hill. When the diesels came out They had to put in a side track miles away. Hook up three more engines to make the pull. Then unhook, go back and wait for the next train.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Not enough threaded bits for you nut stranglers

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
It might be a pain in the ass to work on but no valve train parts to wear out and no adjustments. Fire it up and go.
What, not enough threaded bits for you nut stranglers

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've worked on Fairbanks engines in my earlier years and there are still plenty of nuts and bolts and a whole lot more o rings and seals you have to worry about. The cranks also have to be timed and the gear trains are a pain to set up. They don't mention the fuel system in that square box either. Like most military crap, they will be doing years of bug chasing to get all the engineering to work good enough to make a half way reliable vehicle. Then the eco idiots will come along and want the furnace and the cow pi$$ put on.