• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New compact track loaders for mulching

Corey1966

I currently run a Cat 299D with a Fecon mulching head and a brush cutter. I'm done with the Cat due to the tracks coming off all the time. I work alone in allot of swampy areas and I'm tired of bringing in a excavator to pickup machine to put a track back on!
Now I'm looking at a new machine. Anyone have any favorites out there?
I work in allot of low land areas, have my share of rocks also.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
Cat just came out with a special d3 with a mulching head. Looked pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Are you running rubber or steel tracks on the 299 ? What rollers are on the front and back idlers - single, double, or triple flange ?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
If you are full time mulching then it would be a good time to look at a dedicated machine. Using a CTL/MTL in this game is like using a pick as a sledge hammer IMHO

f311fr1

You should be running triple flange idlers. I wont stop a track from trying to detrack but it helps. Look at the ASV/Terrex machines.They are MTL's not CTL's. They do not like gravel work at all. I own both a Cat 299D2 XHP set up for mulching with the guards and aux roof mounted cooler and two ASV RC series set up for mulching.

Corey1966

I have rubber tracks. Cat has updated carriage so it's just like the newer machines. It's still popping tracks off. No fun in a swamp. I basically have to bring in an excavator to pickup machine. Way to expensive and time consuming.
I don't do full time mulching. I use this machine on my land for all purposes. I do mulch and use brush cutter about 40% to 50% of the time.
I'm looking at ASV but the dealer is almost 3 hours from me. Anyone hear anything about Kubota, Takeuchi, or Deere G series?

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
do you have rock guards on it ? i have seen some forestry packages with rock guards on them , just like a regular dozers have . if you like the machine this might be a cheaper option .

Corey1966

Update:
Going with ASV 120.
Tried out some other new machines this week and this machine is the best for my situation. I was very impressed. It ran circles around the caterpillar.

f311fr1

The ASv is more nimble. Just remember to keep your tracks out of loose rock and gravel. What are you going to do with your 299D?

f311fr1

I think you will really like the ASV. Track Loader Parts has parts and servise literature for free. They are also a great parts source. I sent you a PM.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
maybe some pictures and price and location ,somebody here would buy it

rutwad

Update:
Going with ASV 120.
Tried out some other new machines this week and this machine is the best for my situation. I was very impressed. It ran circles around the caterpillar.

I thought ASV was bought out by Terex but I just Googled the ASV 120 and saw it. Is it the same as Terex PT110?.

f311fr1

I have a CAT 299D2 XHP with the mulch package and roof mounted cooler. If you get sideways on a hill with a 2000 lb mulch head and turn tight it WILL try to de track. I do run triple flange reont and rear idlers.