1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

NEW Cat 150 AWD

Discussion in 'Motor Graders' started by 20/80, Jun 4, 2021.

1. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    I've never chained the front. I don't have any traction loss and/or steering loss when running in AWD. Actually the steering is more responsive. With small snows, 4-6", and no drifts, I don't chain up at all.

I use heavy duty 2 link crossbar chains on the rear. I like Peerless brand the best. Easy to use latch system. Seem to last longer than other brands. Can't prove that.

2. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Thanks, where I have no experience with the AWD on ice and snow yet I was just going by what the Cat Rep pointed out, when your in AWD your front tires wants to slide left or to the right when on ice more than a none AWD unit, we do a lot of ice blading on shiny ice caused by the crazy temp swings here, 40F and raining then falling to 15F in 6 hours, that's why I was thinking carbide studs for the front tires, and chains for the rears, we make all our own ladder type chains.

ovrszd likes this.
  3. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    I'm not familiar with CAT AWD. On a JD machine there is an on/off switch for AWD. Then there's a dial switch that allows the speed of the front tires to be advanced or retarded compared to the speed of the rears.

When pushing snow I run at 0% which means all tires are running the same speed. If I need to gain a bit more traction for direction control I might bump the fronts up 5% or so +.

When doing ditch work or steep bank work I run the fronts at 10% or so +.

When working in mud I run the fronts at 20% or so +.

I've never experienced a situation where I use AWD in negative settings.

4. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    Cat AWD controls are much the same as the JD controls.

5. 20/80

20/80 Senior Member

operator
    A bit of a update on my 150 AWD, Mother Cat is remotely monitoring my machine from a far, Cat is monitoring the erratic tranny shifting i'm experiencing when operating the machine from time to time, I was spreading gravel a week or two ago and my 150 took a funny spell and started shifting erratic on me two or three times while in manual mode, wasn't very long and a Cat tech made a surprise visit a day or two later and took the machine for a ride, I was off that day so I didn't get to talk to the Cat tech.

6. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    Good response on their part. CAT, DEERE and I assume every other manufacturer has the ability to monitor all their machines. JD calls it "JD Link". Two of the coding problems were corrected thru JD Link. Although they told me I didn't have a problem. Suddenly it just stopped throwing those two codes. Funny how that works.

Bummer part is trying to get it to act up while the tech is operating it. If it didn't, they will record the visit as "no problem".

Thanks for the update!!!! This particular problem would be very frustrating!!!

7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Everyone who buys either brand gives the manufacturer the right to monitor your machine and use any information derived for their benefit without paying you a dime for that data. It's in the sales contract. They also charge you a subscription fee to be able to have the same access to that data in real time.

hvy 1ton likes this.
  8. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    I never thought of it as over reach on the manufacturer's part. I also never thought I should get paid for the data. We don't pay any fee.

Nige likes this.
  9. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Can you look up the operation on your cell phone?

10. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    Never tried. Why would I need to?

11. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Then you probably don't have the subscription.

12. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    And why would I need it?

13. John C.

John C. Senior Member

You probably wouldn't but if you were in a county with six or more running ten hours a day in an area of about 300 square miles, it's a good idea. It still has a monthly subscription, even though you apparently didn't know about it.