• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Case roller hood rant

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Well we got a new rental Case SV208 sheepsfoot roller on site. Well we used it a little and ran it down middle of the haul road to park it in our staging area. The SOB broke down in the middle of the road. Not really a big deal it happens(happens a lot on this POS).

We to take a look at to see if we get it going and off the haul road. 5 of us down there can't get the hood open. It pulls up about 6" and then just stops like it caught on something flexible. Hose, wiring harness, or something like that. We mess with it and mess with it trying to see what its binding up on... Well the POS starts. If you can't guess it dieing/not starting on us has been a problem ever since after several trips out here by the mechanic. Again not really a huge deal we are getting by and the dealer is working with us to get it fixed.

The problem the next day I pulled out the manual to read it to see if there was a trick to opening the hood. After thumbing through the manual for a while and "reading between the lines" a little I figured out how to open the hood. There was an 2 manual control vales that you had to set and a pump jack you have to jack up the hood with.

Come on. I have a hard enough time getting everyone to open a hood and pull out a dipstick. Let alone spend a good 5 mins to check the oil and some POS roller. I'm sure OSHA has something to do with this. Back strain opening the hood on a roller or something.

OK thats my rant for this month. Thanks for reading enjoy the rest of your day. :drinkup

JDOFMEMI

Unless there is a door in it, I bet the oil never gets checked if the hood is that hard to get up.

Tinkerer

I don't know if it applies to your Case roller, but I remember running a roller with the hydraulic jack for raising the hood. The purpose of it was to keep someone from dropping the hood on their fingers and or hand.