• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Case 450 Dozer owner

Sailorman

Occupation
castle builder
Hello,
I recently acquired a 1965 Case 450 (no letter) dozer w 6 way blade for only $0.21/ lb! It is mostly worn out but should be just what I need to do some grading and enhance my 1/4 mile "road" down to the river. No hours showing on the meter but starts right up, smokes something fierce and other than brakes, seems to work fine. There were no track pads on the chains when purchased but I got 72 of them and look excellent. The right side chain and sprocket were well past being worn out. Thanks to Kevin S. at Tracks & More, I successfully just in stalled a 27 T sprocket and 37 link chain. Pumped it up tonight and looks great. Just waiting on new bolts to arrive to attach the track plates. Taking the other not so badly worn sprocket to my welding shop friends tomorrow to build up the teeth. I have lots of questions and issues to solve but will address those in a separate thread. The 450 joins my Kubota L3600 w backhoe which has been very helpful getting the new chain on.
Ed

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Sailorman;)!

I have lots of questions and issues to solve but will address those in a separate thread

Bring it on!:) Lots of good Case people here.

And pictures. We crave pictures.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Generally speaking, welding the teeth of a sprocket to build them up - is not a good idea.
The teeth may likely become brittle & they will break up quicker than ever.
Chains & sprockets should always be replaced on both sides at the same time. (in the perfect world, all rollers & idlers too)
By the sounds of it you bought the machine after someone else has replaced only one side at an earlier date, & has now half worn it out.
Maybe a good idea to buy another new sprocket & fit it to the worn side, instead of paying someone to make it wear out quicker....& cause more undue wear to the chain bushings.