• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Never Moved Equipment Before

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
What kind of pine? White, Red, Jack? A 1x3 by 8 foot long Knotty pine board is is 7 bucks a pop here. Shame to push them over

Compshooter

Well the dozer was picked up without me present and delivered the next day. The driver unloaded for. me. He said it was low on coolant and hydraulic fluid. Not sure about the coolant but it had a flowing hydraulic leak when he parked it for about two days. It was coming from under the right side of the cab from what appears to be the two hard lines feeding the ripper in the rear. It has since stopped leaking probably because the pressure has dropped. I'll have to take off the ones side of floor boards in the cab to inspect further.

As far as the pines go, I believe they are red pines. They are reddish in nature and have 1-3" bark flakes that come off when you lean against them. I also have one stand of old Hemlocks.

It is weird in that I hunt down in South Carolina and they grow pines as a crop for telephone poles. Up here the only thing loggers want are the hardwoods. When the oil and gas boom was happening my forester guy told me they would chip the pines and use them in the O&G field for something. I can't remember what though. Anyway the boom is over, no more lease and no more demand / use of pines apparently.

Oh well. This will be interesting. I'm in no hurry really.

cfherrman

Or if you were building something.

Only thing we use wood for is under pumping units, 3x12 x 10' rough cut Douglas fir.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
When you grab the needles, they are in clumps of 3 red, white is clumps of 5. Generally here it is red pine that they use as hydro poles. There is a big controversy going on here as Irving oil has been spraying to kill the hardwood growth so they can have more spruce logs to make lumber an sell it to the USA