• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Needed a bit more air:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Found myself needing a stationary compressor on my blast line so purchased this:

upload_2020-9-19_9-46-19.jpeg

upload_2020-9-19_9-48-25.jpeg

upload_2020-9-19_9-48-57.jpeg

upload_2020-9-19_9-49-32.jpeg
1983 built 750cfm Ingersoll Rand with a 6V-71 Detroit Diesel engine which runs well. No history on the unit and it has been setting for several years, but started relatively easy and doesn't need much before going back into service. It will keep 90psi of line pressure with the 2" ball valve wide open. Very simple in operation being all pneumatic controlled with exception the the mechanical senders monitoring the engine and air end.

1693TA

Occupation
With the exception of one access door, the silencer padding is all present and intact, as is the exhaust. When all closed up, it's really not too bad to be around. My shop has a 2" pipe stabbed through the sidewall and feeds the blast line. This compressor will remain outside and noise should be tolerable. I'll then not have to disconnect my other compressor to do blasting remote from the shop.

1693TA

Occupation
The screen printing has fallen of the proofmeter in the hours recorded area. The electronic tachometer does work for a spell but not accurately, and then falls off to zero. Going to replace it but I really have no idea as to hours. Machine has a poor repaint from an obvious resaler at some time, but the serial number of the machine, engine, and air end all match within the same build timeframe. Prior owner told me you cannot pull it much over 20mph as it really "sways" behind you. I winched it up, and hauled about 60 miles on a gooseneck trailer without problems. Owner's manual states it weighs just over 11,000#.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Used these at the quarries, only way were transported site to site was trailered, wheels and tires/tracking only good for short distances SLOW Speeds as in yard or jobsite moves. Check adjustment of Tach pickup head, maybe even pull it check for look fragments stuck to the magnetic sensor head.

1693TA

Occupation
Hi and thanks. The 27SI Delco alternator drives the tach via the "P", (pulsed) output terminal. No "Hall Effect" drive involved with this setup. I would delve into the tach further, but there is a hole punched through the glass of the instrument:

upload_2020-9-20_10-21-3.jpeg

I found one via online marketed for replacement that has a programmable proofmeter for total machine hours, and a per run totalizer. This will be great as I can monitor fuel consumption on the actual run time of the compressor easily.

1693TA

Occupation
I've discovered just how much water this compressor will produce with it's discharge air stream so purchased this to help a bit:

upload_2020-10-16_6-30-42.jpeg
upload_2020-10-16_6-31-7.jpeg
upload_2020-10-16_6-31-39.jpeg

The discharge air from the compressor is quite warm so going to mount the cooler above my paint room and utilize the heat in the winter for the shop area. This unit is not electrical powered and runs quiet, so noise will not be an issue.

1693TA

Occupation
Air compressor tends to need a "sniff" to get fired off easily as the temperature drops. There is a current ether injector which is a manual affair shown on the left side of the photo:

upload_2020-10-19_6-30-58.jpeg

One has to open the side door and manually depress the plunger for a shot so kinda loud as the engine roars to life.

Diving back onto ebay, I found this 24VDC actuated "kit" so ordered it to install as there is room in the exterior operator panel for mounting the pushbutton:

s-l1600.jpg

Once this is mounted, I'll be able to get the engine started without opening the doors in the colder months.

Kinda funny how commonplace these things used to be but seldom seen any longer.

skyking1

That cooler/heater is slick, I love the air powered fan. All very good kit IMO!
I worked with a 1300 of the same type, driving H piles for a bridge job. 3" discharge hose through an oiler/valve combo. Never gave a thought about the tons of water it must make.

Last edited: