• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

need your opinion

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
Im 23 and Ive been working for my current company for 18 months now. I think ive proved im worth more than when i started. I know i should just be happy to be working but between my bills and helping my parents out with theirs (father has been out of work for almost a year) it leaves little left.
I run equipment, Class A cdl, and repair and service the machines. (i went to school to be a mechanic and was one for 2 1/2 years.) i do whatever else i have to from welding and torching to woodworking and sheetrock.
I did get health insurance after 6 months so i have to factor that in. I get paid hourly but only for 8 hours even if im there longer. No vacation, holiday or lunch pay. I come in early everyday and if i know what we are doing i get everything together. Ive come in on sundays and got a machine ready for monday because i knew we needed it. didnt even get a thank you.
company is small. Son, his father, me and finally a laborer(i guess thats what you would call him but he isnt much of anything) again. For a while it was just the three of us and even when they are there im working alone.
My question is what would i be worth to your company you? MAybe what i make and go through is normal.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What you are worth is a subjective question that can't be answered truthfully by someone who doesn't know you or your work.

I can say that your pay structure sucks and is probably illegal in that the employer is making you work extra for no extra pay. Even so times are tight and jobs are scarce.

If it were me I'd keep drawing a paycheck with an eye open for a better opportunity somewhere else.

Good Luck!

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
Well when you hire a new employee with certain qualifications you know what your willing to pay them without knowing them or their work. Right?
Thanks for your opinion.

grandpa

Im 23 and Ive been working for my current company for 18 months now. I think ive proved im worth more than when i started. I know i should just be happy to be working but between my bills and helping my parents out with theirs (father has been out of work for almost a year) it leaves little left.
I run equipment, Class A cdl, and repair and service the machines. (i went to school to be a mechanic and was one for 2 1/2 years.) i do whatever else i have to from welding and torching to woodworking and sheetrock.
I did get health insurance after 6 months so i have to factor that in. I get paid hourly but only for 8 hours even if im there longer. No vacation, holiday or lunch pay. I come in early everyday and if i know what we are doing i get everything together. Ive come in on sundays and got a machine ready for monday because i knew we needed it. didnt even get a thank you.
company is small. Son, his father, me and finally a laborer(i guess thats what you would call him but he isnt much of anything) again. For a while it was just the three of us and even when they are there im working alone.
My question is what would i be worth to your company you? MAybe what i make and go through is normal.
I run equipment, have a class a with tanker endors. repair and service machines, welding and torching and woodworking, answer the phone and regularly work more than 8 hrs a day and i too get no vacation,hoiday or lunch pay. Sometimes I get no pay at all, and never get a thank you for I own the company. My advise to you would be to go ask them, if they think your worth it and can afford it, they will probably try to pay you for your services, if they cant you will probably be looking for work.

Last edited:

Grader4me

Well, if you've been there for 18 months then obviously you are doing a good enough job. Sounds like you guys have a communication problem. It also seems like the owner is taking you for granted. They must trust you and also realize that you are a dedicated employee as you come into work early and also come in on Sundays to get everything ready.
If I was a owner of a company and had an employee that did that on his own...well..I would definitely be showing him my appreciation in some way.
I would talk to him about compensation of some sort. Maybe he couldn't do anything for you right now but perhaps in the near future he could.
I'm with grandpa...Just talk to him would be my advise..:)

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
Graderforme, I do plan on talking to him about the issues i have shortly. I was just trying to get an idea if im underpaid or not. He has mentioned a raise 4 months ago but never followed through with it so that will make it easier on me.
Im not looking to leave the company as we have more work than we can handle and feel they will grow quite a bit in upcoming years.
Thanks