• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need to move a lull 1044c-54 with blown (knocking) engine - towing question!! help!

sepulchral

The machine will start and run long enough to unswitch brakes but i have nothing to move it to see if brakes are actually disabled in time before a mega wrecker comes. The engine sputters and dies within 5secs of starting.

The manual says that you need to apply pressure to the parking brake system for inoperable vehicles... do i still need to do this if i can unswitch the brakes before motor cuts out? Please help, thanks.

Tractorguy

Yes, because the brakes are spring applied hydraulically released...doesn't the machine stop rolling once it shuts down? If it doesn't then you can do it all day. If it does you'll have to jack the brake off. However be sure to find the spec because you can mushroom the brake pistons and blow axle seals if too much pressure is applied. We had a guy do it and it was a pain in the neck.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Not sure where the brake drum is located but if it is on the drive shaft or inboard of the wheels you can pull the planetary covers and simply pull the axles. They roll much nicer without drivetrain moving anyway. If the axle is part of the planetary cover (most are not) you will need plywood or some other cover to put back on.