• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need to find a used/reman cylinder for Cat 426

edgephoto

So I got a killer deal on a Cat 426. I am new to these big boy toys and I am struggling trying to find places to find a used or reman. cylinder.

Anyplace you can suggest to call, email or link to I would be appreciated.

My boom would drop almost immediately and I planned to repack all the cylinders since the seals are all dried and cracked. Well I found the issue with my boom dropping. There was a very sligh dent in the cylinder and so the piston and cylinder are damaged beyond repair. I hit a local shop and he said that he can make me a new cylinder but it would be more than $1200. I am looking to find a good used one. I am find if the rod is pitted as mine is nice.

IMG_6415.JPG IMG_6426.JPG

Ct Farmer

For rebuild repair try these

Devine hydraulics in Montville. Many locals like them and they make parts in house.

New Hampshire Hydraulics. Big shop that does a lot of work for several major local dealers and construction firms. Good reputation and they will pickup the cylinder.

Fluid Power in Lancaster, NY. Very good work and they do it all in house. Had them rechrome and rebuild the bucket cylinder on my Volvo. Amazing work and detail. Very reasonable price on that big of cylinder.

Be careful, there are several firms in the area that call themselves rebuilders and do little more than chuck a cheap China seal kit in.

edgephoto

Thanks for the replies. Being new to this world I am lacking contacts and go to places.

I have contacted several dismantlers, including the one posted here, and am waiting on replies. I am sure I won't hear anything until at least Monday.

I also have a lead on a rebuilder near where my machine is and will go there Monday and get a quote. Might be my best option at this point. I was hoping to get out of trouble for less than than it appears it will cost. Oh well I guess you have a big boy piece of equipment you pay big boy prices. I did get a good deal on the machine and including this I am still way ahead of the game.

@Nige I need one of the boom cylinders. 9T5222 is the complete assembly. The cylinder only is 9T5221.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Sense you are in CT you could try Conequip parts I think they're in NY ph# 888-983-7847

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
We’ve had threads here where cat rebuilds were cheaper then local rebuilds .
Call Cat for prices.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
@Nige I need one of the boom cylinders. 9T5222 is the complete assembly. The cylinder only is 9T5221.
Sorry I thought it was a loader lift cylinder you were looking for. Also didn't realise you had a Parts Manual. FYI 9T-5222 Cylinder Group is replaced by 6E-0109 if you are trying to track down a complete cylinder assembly. The barrel for that is a 6E-0110.

Second the above recommendation regarding Cat pricing. I'm showing a new piston for $235 and a seal kit for less than $100.

When looking at parts, the following came up. The barrel is discontinued, even the replacement 6E-0110. The system says to contact -
"VINTAGE PARTS INC. @ VPARTSINC.COM
PHONE # 920-356-0653"

Last edited:

edgephoto

@Nige Thanks for the info about Vintage Parts.

I am guessing I have to go through a Cat dealer for Vintage Parts. If I am not logged in to their site Caterpillar Inc. is one of the choices. I created an account and now the menu no longer shows Caterpillar.

When not logged in I searched for all the different possible part numbers. Nothing came up. When I left the search blank it gave me all the numbers but they appear to be in the format of seven numbers (xxx-xxxx) instead of the Six digit format with the second digit being a letter(9T5222). Is there a cross reference available?

I need one of the following:
9T5222
9T5221
6E0109
6E0110

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
With the Cylinder Assembly having been discontinued by Cat i think that you can call Vintage Parts direct otherwise there would have been no reason to include their phone number in the documentation. Give them a call, you have nothing to lose.

With or without the dash, in the Cat system it makes no difference. Anywhere else such as Google you might well be advised to try both with and without the dash.

edgephoto

I plan to call them tomorrow. Just wondering if you knew wheter or not they would talk to me or I need to go to a dealer.

I ran into this a few years back with a small piece of John Deere equipment. JD discontinued it and I found a supplier of obsolete parts but had to go through dealer to buy it. Luckily local dealer could be talked into it. At forst they wanted nothing to do with ordering the part for me.

I am sure the Cat dealer is not all that interested in hunting down parts for a 30 year old machine owned by a homeowner. I stopped to pick up my online order the other day and the place was crazy busy. They were nice but I am sure my $200 order was a nuisance.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I plan to call them tomorrow. Just wondering if you knew wheter or not they would talk to me or I need to go to a dealer.

I ran into this a few years back with a small piece of John Deere equipment. JD discontinued it and I found a supplier of obsolete parts but had to go through dealer to buy it. Luckily local dealer could be talked into it. At forst they wanted nothing to do with ordering the part for me.

I am sure the Cat dealer is not all that interested in hunting down parts for a 30 year old machine owned by a homeowner. I stopped to pick up my online order the other day and the place was crazy busy. They were nice but I am sure my $200 order was a nuisance.
You can also try Schaefer Enterprises ph# (800)626-6046 I think they are in Groom Lake, Ill.

edgephoto

@Nige Vintage Parts was a no go.

@Coy Lancaster Appreciate the info. I sent them an email. Their website does not list what I need. We will see.

My brother got a referral from his friend in the equipment repair business for a local shop that can fix it. I left it off today for an estimate. I should know in a day or two how much this will cost me.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
For what it is worth I have used Vintage Parts for other manufacturers and found them nice and helpful to deal with. I had to have my dealer number to deal with them though, maybe it is different with Cat.

edgephoto

Well I did find a couple places that had reman cylinders for under $2000. I found a couple used ones for $1500. Shipping is not cheap since the cylinder weighs 120 lbs.

I dropped it off to a place for an estimate on repairs. $1400 for new cylinder and piston. I am going this route.

I appreciate all your advice.