• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

need some pointers

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
just in case i get another chance to run our track hoe which i probably will i hope, i wanted to ask some questions. im not totally new to them ive worked around one for a long time, but have been in the seat for less than 50 hrs, over a 15 year career, out of all the questions that are going through my head while at work i mostly want to take care of the machine not digging or tracking in a harmful manor. the last two times ive run it ive had to go along a highwall cleaning, and pull dirt in from along an edge both times i tracked along going parallel to the edge, i know that its not the best way to dig, you should always be facing in the direction your digging, with the idlers on the end your digging right? ive seen guys put a track hoe in some scary situations and the pics ive seen on here, but actually being in the seat is a whole different story, i know mostly i just have to learn as i go just like everything else. but if there is anything or any tips ide like to hear them. i know for sure that moving it with my feet is taking longer to get used to than i thought it would, also how easy is it to tip one over, im getting more used to it all the time but getting the feel of the balance points is another story, hats off to all you hoe hands :notworthy

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Their pretty hard to upset. I have had a few excavators in scary situations myself. I think the biggest thing I learned when I was first getting on them was only do what you feel comfortable doing. Each time I jump on a new machine I usually like to just "play" for a couple minutes. The first thing I normally do is to put the stick out as far as I can over the front and the side of the tracks and drop the bucket 4-5ft really fast (without hitting the ground) and suddenly stopping it to get a feel for how well balanced it is.

Yeah you're right, you should always dig with the idlers facing the excavation. I always knew about getting junk around the final drives and the motors but never thought about the fact that end of the undercarriage is a little longer and provides better stability.

And this one I know some people will disagree with me, but I was told as soon as you get a feel for the controls and know what everything is going to so... run er wide open. None of this 3/4 throttle stuff. I always run er full wood.

dayexco

in an unstable ground situation, by working facing into your excavation vs. working parallel with it, should the bank give away, this at least gives you a chance of backing away from it.

Reuben

Keep in mind the balance point is always changing.Keep the lowest center of gravity possible,run smooth,no quick movements,always keep a loaded bucket as close to the ground as possible.MOST IMPORTANTLY ALWAYS WEAR YOUR BELT!!!

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Well you will probably learn the most by just practicing on the machine. The main thing to do is to make sure you grease the bucket pins on a daily basis! If digging over the side of the tracks, keep the machine far enough back so ifthe edge collapses the machine will not go over too. if going up a hill, try and to use the bucket to help pull yourself up. when making a 90 degree turn, use the bucket and swing to help turning easy - this will take some practice to achive this smoothly. excavators can go on some steeps slopes, I've had to put my feet on the windsheild before to stay in the seat. just don't be a fool and raise the boom all the way up and swing around on a steep hill or you will be cleaning out your pants. I also like to run the machine one notch below wide open so that everything will move and flow smooth.
I never wear the seat belt, took me two years to find out that one machine had a seat belt in it. dropped my phone and had to go diging for it under the seat and walla, seat belt

I may be able to find a few quick video's of some of these thing if you want?

Last edited:

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
MOST IMPORTANTLY ALWAYS WEAR YOUR BELT!!!

Reuben hit the nail on the head :thumbsup

I cant emphasize how important it is to wear your seat belt.
I learned this the hard way....
And almost fell out of a 450 Hitachi as it started to go over when the bench I was sitting on gave away.
And like a dumb ass, not only was I not wearing my seat belt,
I had the front window pulled up out of the way.
The only thing that kept me in was my right leg jammed up against the upper right window post.
A really dumb move on my part....
Why?
I let someone hurry me up which caused me to brain fart.
The resulting brain fart impaired my judgment and routine which almost landed me down on the haul road with the machine on top of me.

Regardless of what anyone says, use your seat belt.
Make it a habit.
Like breathing....something you do without even thinking about it.
:cool:

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
very well said guys being a hoe hand for about 5 years now. the most important things ive been taught were to wear your seatbelt and and always dig over your idlers not your drive gears.one thing i also try to remember is adjust your mirrors, especially on your blind side have somebody help you out, i find its easier that way so you dont have to get in and out constantly.keep and eye on your teeth and lifitng hooks. when using a quick coupler on a hoe, dont pry from side to side if you get into diggin in rock its eaiser to dig with a smaller buket loosen it up and throw the big bucket back on to load out. hope this helps!

rino1494

Few things to add. Don't use your bucket in a side to side motion. It is too hard on the swing and pin/bushing in the stick/boom. Protect the bucket cylinder. It is easy to forget about it because you can't see it. I've seen guys curl the stick in and set the boom down and the bucket cylinder is sitting on a rock. Also, if you are digging and you hear the hydaulics are squealing, you are working the machine too hard. When digging, take a chunck off the top and keep working your way down. Don't start at the bottom and work your way up. When dumping the bucket, try avoiding to banging the bucket or extending the stick all the way. If you extend the stick all the way, you will hear a hiss. It takes time to get used to it, but you will be fine.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
thanx alot for the replys so far, rino1494 that was one thing i did figure out by myself, i tried to swing a little bit while i was digging, i could feel it on the second time that it prob wasnt good on the machine, but now i know for sure. so if you are digging in sticky material, especially when its cold out, do you clang the bucket once in a while, if thats what you call it when you dump it hard all the way to the end of the cylinder, or do you get out and use the track shovel once in a while or at the end of the day?

dirthog28

Instead of curling the bucket back banging on it trying to get the mud or frozen dirt out I will alot of times extend the bucket and arm all the way out and postion the bucket so the bucket pin and bucket teeth both hit the ground and raise it up and down a couple of times hitting the bucket on the ground, try and find a spot on the ground that is fairly solid so your not hitting the bucket in the mud. 95% of the time the material will fall out with just a couple hits.

Another pointer I always like to do is always try and keep your tracks level, will keep from the machine being so rocky and jerky. Alot of times just throw a little bit of dirt under one corner and track back forward. If your doing trenching look ahead of where your going and occasionally throw a bucket of dirt in the low area to be ready.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
thanx alot for the replys so far, rino1494 that was one thing i did figure out by myself, i tried to swing a little bit while i was digging, i could feel it on the second time that it prob wasnt good on the machine, but now i know for sure. so if you are digging in sticky material, especially when its cold out, do you clang the bucket once in a while, if thats what you call it when you dump it hard all the way to the end of the cylinder, or do you get out and use the track shovel once in a while or at the end of the day?

Sometimes you have to bang the bucket back to shake the material that has been packed in the bucket to get it out. If that does not work you can stretch the boom all the way out and tilt the bucket all the way back. Put the bucket about 12" above the ground and then drop the boom to bang the dirt out. yes it's somewhat rough on the machine but it will get the dirt out. just don't be like some people I know who drop the bucket full force at a height of 4-5':eek: onto solid rock to bang the dirt out.

dayexco

we typically have 2 excavators onsite...one digging, one with a vibe plate to compact..when soili conditions get that way, we just "rattle" the digging machine's bucket with the vibrator...works slicker'n snot on a doorknob

rino1494

Sometimes you have to bang the bucket back to shake the material that has been packed in the bucket to get it out. If that does not work you can stretch the boom all the way out and tilt the bucket all the way back. Put the bucket about 12" above the ground and then drop the boom to bang the dirt out. yes it's somewhat rough on the machine but it will get the dirt out. just don't be like some people I know who drop the bucket full force at a height of 4-5':eek: onto solid rock to bang the dirt out.

I watched one of my competitors one day dig a foundation. The grademan would check grade and if he was a little low, he would grab a bucket of dirt and fill it in a little and proceed to pound the living crap out of it. He would drop the bucket from about 8' high and hit the ground so hard that the tracks were coming off the ground. They have 4 excavators and every one of their buckets wiggle around like a wet noodle.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
excavators

637Slayer, Looking at the pics you posted of your nightshift on the 360 I think you are at the bottom of a cut pulling the batter down. If that is the case then there is nothing wrong with working crosscarriage, just be aware that the machine is at its most unstable in this position. That said, keep the bucket low and reach out slowly with a full bucket will teach you about stability, I think you will be quite suprised how stable you actually are.
If your pulling muck down, try not to pull the spoil in too tight to your tracks, when reaching out try working a few feet short of max reach. Be careful to check where you are travelling/working, its easy to get engrossed in pulling the batter, moving along a bucket at a time and suddenly get a heart stopping moment as you drop off a 2 foot step or alot worse.:eek:
Personally I would advise you get in the habit of working over the idlers whenever posible. ( pulling batters DOWN being an exception) you need to know that when you PULL on those levers you are going backwards. One day the second it saves not having to remember which way your tracks are facing may save your life.
Most 360 that you see on thier backs have the boom up to the stops and have gone off a step, doesn't have to be a big step, backwards.
Good luck, master that machine then get wheels on it. :drinkup