• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need (some) advice

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
I've got a Korean built hydraulic hammer that I bought in 2003, it's name is Daemo, good hammer, it's in the 725 impact pound range, but sometimes it feels like it is loosing the "whackage", it has over 2000 working hours on it, and someone suggested to have it rebuilt, but I say it's just the Nitrogen chamber that might need some pressure checking, I'm stumped on this one, the last hammer I had I put only 1000 hours on it and it completely failed.

Rebuild or recharge?!?!?

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Ron, I would check the nitrogen pressure before using that breaker. If the nitrogen is low it can damage the carrier machine. I blew the hydraulic filter apart on my S185 while using a rented breaker that was low on nitrogen. It had the same problem you are describing with the blows from the hammer being weaker than it should.

I’m surprised you have that many hours without recharging the nitrogen, It must be good quality.

Attachments

• S185 Hyd. Filter.JPG
    S185 Hyd. Filter.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,473

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
Yeah that hammer got me into a world of headaches at Bobcat Country, they kept hissing and spitting at me over some BS that it'll never last more than a year and I should've bought a Bobcat hammer blah, blah, blah, whatever.

It's a damn good hammer, built the same (almost) as the rest of them like Stanley and Rammer, Bobcat's just seem to need higher oil flow rates to work, that was a turn off, I only need 10-16 gpm, and another hammer I have only needs 8-14 gpm, that's going on the mini this year.

Looks like Rollins Machinery will be seeing me this week.

Fishfiles

Nitrous powered hammer time coming in 2010 , ha

bob-CAT Ron , did I ever tell you I have friends who call me Bobcat Don , don't tell anybody though -------I have always been able to pretty much tell if the nitrogen is low by the sound , blows per minute , productivity and hose pulsation , by sound I mean a ding , seems a lot of hammer will ring the bell when low , also if it sounds like a machine gun it ain't usually good , it should sound more like a semi automatic weapon ,and thridly , if the hoses are pulsating excessively it is usually a sign of low nitrogen , alot of the new hammers only have one port to charge a chamber , the older ones had two and even three chambers , a change of weather can have an effect on the charge , the charge is usually on a chart that reflects the atmospheric temperature the unit is being operated in to the psi of the charge , if it is low and border line , a weather change can have an negative effect --------nitrogen charging is a over looked maintance by may contractors and rental houses , I see people beating on the concrete all the time and not getting anything accomplished , don't know how they make any money , spend 8 hours doing what could be done with the same equipment in 1

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
I actually only have 500+ hours, not the 1000 as I previously stated, I looked back in the records and did some "real" calculations

My symptoms are pretty much normal, the out going hose pulsates alot, no more than usual, although since switching to CAT, it seems less due to the higher operation pressure that CAT uses, same sound as it did when it was new, and the energy is there, but only if it's stood straight up and down, but only about 80% of maximum. This Daemo hammer has only 1 chamber and the manual states a pressure recharge of 200-241 psi, I'll shoot for 230 psi to be safe.

I do have to locate a repair facility near by as the manual states that after 650 hours, the entire hammer has to be disassembled and rebuilt back to factory specs, I can get the repair kits on my own through Daemo direct, but finding a repair shop qualified to do it would be an asset.

As for the recharge, Rollins doesn't sell them anymore, but they do service what they sell, so if I don;t hear from them in 3 days, I'll "sneak" into Bobcat Country and have them do it.

Fishfiles

hammer time

It isn't hard or very expensive to get set up to recharge yourself , and production will increase if you keep it to specs , what type of charge valve fitting is the hammer using ,all but a few hammers are basic fittings , the allied , atlas copco and kents use something that is unquie , but getable , all you need is a bottle fitting , tee, gauge , some fittings and a hose ------- I saved some money on buying nitrogen bottles , I have three , one medium size for the shop , and two of the small size for the truck , all three were oxygen cylinders that were easy and free to come by , that I took years ago to the local gas supply and they changed the valves on the tanks for $15 each , they can change from oxygen to nitrogen or even argon for the welder but once changed they can't go back to oxygen from what they tell me , ---------the small tanks will charge about 7-10 hammers depending on size and cost $10 to fill , what I have been doing is to link the little tank to a medium tank with a gauge , two hoses and fittings , I can equalize the big tank to the little tank , it don't totally filled it , but enough to do a few hammers with having to go back to the gas supply house -------------650 to rebuild sounds kinda low hours , seems it should last longer than that -------

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
650 is a lot of hours for my hammers, half the time they sit around in the weather and the other half they are worked in bad conditions, everything from sand to manure getting stuck around the upper part of the pin and bushings, not to mention that the point is only 8" long now, it was 12" long when I bought it.

I did find a local company, www.thiessenteam.com they sell alot of BTI products to local quarries, so they know their stuff. Right now the hammer is charged, but the shop will keep it for the weekend to re test in the morning, that way if the pressure drops 1 psi, they know that it needs rebuilding.

Fishfiles

Long sit times

While at the rental company we use to store our hammer that where not in a bobtack braket ( excvaator hammers) in the upright postion in mounts that we had welded up , was told years ago by a Kent rep that when you store them flat on the ground for long periods it shortens the life of the seals , don't know how much water that really holds

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
Success!!

Got it home, the tech guy told me the chamber was almost empty, so I ran it on a rock for a few minutes, wow, what a lot of power now!

Fishfiles

Hammer Charging

Remember this , the charge may last a year , 3 months , a week or a day , it may be empty or close to it as we speak , :usawhen you go to hitting with it it may last 10 minutes , I think you should consider setting yourself up with a charge kit and keep it charged to specs so as to get the most punch for the time punching , also by monitoring the charge it will let you know when it's time to have it resealed -------Construction Tool Parts ( 1800-500-5221) Jackie or John ,very nice people who have all kinds of Bobcat aftermarket and hammer parts , they sell a charging kit that is pretty neat , I have had this thing for close to 20 years , what makes it unique is it is capable of checking the charge and only losing 1% of the charge in the process , it is as simple as screwing it in the charge port , like checking a tire , it came with about 4 fittings to do different hammers , I can do all Bobcat , Stanley , Kent and a few other brands with it , the NPK , Teledynes , Allied and Atlas Coppco don't work with it , but it may work on your hammer

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
If a hammer needs to be charged that often, it most likely needs an overhaul, 5 years/500+ hours of hammering is a lot of work for any hammer.