• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need some advice on t.loader/dozer

CavinJim

old-iron-habit: Yes, I have considered renting, but my time is more limited than my budget (at least right now). Since I'll be chipping many of the smaller trees and branches and cutting the larger ones for firewood or lumber (I also have a sawmill), I won't be clearing all at one time. Same for cutting in the road--a few hours here and there, maybe a full day on a weekend. With my luck, I'd get a dozer dropped off then find a water leak in the house! Yikes!!! Just as I finished writing that I saw one of our water lines drip! (I'm no joking--a "T" is leaking and I don't have a replacement on hand...sigh.) Anyhow, I've had pretty good luck buying, using, and selling equipment. That always comes with a risk, but I'm willing to take that risk.

CavinJim

All the negative posts I see regarding hydrostats on the JD 7xx and larger machines has me spooked--but I'm wondering if that's an overreaction? I'm not going to be pushing a machine, especially something like a 750 or 850. I doubt I'd use a dozer or loader longer than a few hours at a time, and certainly not stressing it at that. All of this work is for myself, and I find that the more I get in a hurry to do something, the worse it gets. Keep it simple, go easy, and it'll be better in the end (and probably finished sooner, too!). I'd rather do something right than fast. Of course, right AND fast is better, but I've had to fix far too many problems where someone got in a hurry and took a short-cut and, well, you know the stories. So there's another question: if I find a JD 7xx or 8xx with the hydro drives and it fits the bill and they appear to be in good shape (no leaks, drives straight, etc.), then what is the real likelihood that I'll burn them up in another 250 to 500 hours of easy use? I know that's not predictable (and if I could predict that I'd have enough lottery winnings to buy a NEW machine! :) ).

Welder Dave

I think paying a Deere mechanic to check one out would be the wisest move. Oil samples and cutting the hydro filters apart would be a good idea too. I don't think people are trying to steer you away from them just making sure you know that if the hydro(s) go it is REALLY expensive to fix them.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
977.jpg977-3.jpg977-2.jpg
Here are a few pics of a 977L that I used to have. IIRC it was a 10' blade which was actually a little small for that machine but it worked pretty good. I apologize for not having any close-up's of the back of the blade where it mounts to the loader arms.

CavinJim

Looks useful, but does it tilt? Guess you could rig the bucket cylinders to do a tilt....

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Looks useful, but does it tilt? Guess you could rig the bucket cylinders to do a tilt....

There is no tilt. I missed not having tilt at first but it didn't take long and I didn't miss it at all. Personally, if I were to go back to a loader with a blade it would probably be a 963C just because they seem to be a lot 'lighter on there feet' than a 977.

CavinJim

That 977L is quite a bit out of my price range, I really need to stay below 15. My brother, a mechanic, is going to look at the 755 Deere and put it through it's paces. He's not a big iron mech, but knows his way around 'em. When I called him he was servicing an FL10B. He's tempted to see if the owner might want to sell that one. Thanks for the heads up, DMiller. I appreciate it! There's a nice looking FL10 on the southeast Kansas craigslist for 9k. Needs an exhaust gasket and track adjuster...

gwhammy

I got into several acres of second growth oaks a few years ago. It was bone dry also which didn't help. Everyone broke off right at the ground. I thought it might not work but the guy sprayed it the next summer when the next growth had started and killed everyone of them. I'm guessing you aren't going to work this ground up as rocky as it is so this might be a good option.

As far as equipment I favor a loader over a dozer, the 955 k's and l's are tough old machines with a lot of power. I take the teeth and pop out the smaller trees one by one. In that rocky soil they should come out fairly easy.

CavinJim

Hi gwhammy, I think I know that summer of which you speak--I was out building a shed in July and it was hot and dry. We lost a lot of trees to that drought! We're in a dry spell right now, too, and my in-law's pond (they live around the corner from us) is the lowest it's been since it was built over 30 years ago.

After a considerable amount of pondering over the issue, I've decided that my highest priority crawler work is to get the trails built--hopefully before spring fire season. I have 5 to 6 miles of trail to do, and I'll be avoiding larger trees so it's mostly just pushing aside scrub and a few side cuts here and there. So--that means my machine of choice is a smaller (70-100 HP) dozer with a six-way. I also need to regrade our yard. They goofed when they build the house 30 odd years ago and left the fill above the sill! The foundation tops out below ground level!! Fortunately, the house is stucco, but it still needs to daylight above g.l., so I'll need to relocate about 200 yards of fill to somewhere more appropriate. Of course, that means stripping, storing, and restoring the topsoil (what there is of it!).... a dozer with a six-way will help a great deal on that project. So the search turns more specifically to a dozer, and I'm going to crawl over to the dozer forum and seek some more specific make/model advice there.

CavinJim

So I've basically given up trying to find the "perfect machine" and settle for a small dozer with a 6-way, when a 955K with a 4-in-one shows up on Craigslist!

955k_2.jpg955k.jpg

The grousers look really good, but those tracks look awfully tight! I can't tell about the sprockets, they almost look pointy, makes me wonder if the tracks started slipping on the sprocket and they cranked the tension up to compensate. Asking price is $14, which seems reasonable. Can anyone tell if that's really a K version of a 955? tctractors? It looks like the decal on the left has been torn so is missing the "K", but it makes me wonder.... Looks like some cylinders/hoses aren't house-trained, but I'm not too worried about those. Not sure I can talk the missus into such an investment with house remodeling looming and some job uncertainty on my part (I work for a federal agency that does climate change research so you can imagine... :eek: ), but it would sure fit the bill for years to come!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It looks like a K in the picture. K's were not near as well liked as the L series. The K series had a reputation of throwing rods out thru the block on occasion. Not sure if that reputation was real or imagined but someone here will know. I think if the tracks were slipping the pointy ends would be rounded off. They sure look tight thou. Was it backed into its parking spot with the slack on the bottom.

CavinJim

Excellent point on the slack being on the bottom, old-iron! I'll bet that's exactly the case. I'm hoping to hear back from the seller so I can arrange a look-see before the weather here is more like yours!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
CavinJim old iron is correct, let it roll forward a tad when you go to look at it any slack rolled to the bottom when backing in will move back up top where you can see it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If you do buy it or really consider I would roll under and look at all the potential break points, truck cross frame, loader mounts etc. Not to scare but with full sweeps, a four in one, the bend in the grill I take this to either have been in logging or demolition. As soon as get it buy a coffee can for now then either a rain cap or side directed baloney tip exhaust.

gwhammy

At that price if it's in decent shape that ought to be about the bottom of the market price. Use it a few years and get almost all your money back out of it. It wouldn't take much custom work to pay for it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One other something something I just saw in the top photo. Three buckets of hydraulic or transmission oil. Check for leaks, CLOSELY! If the machine is leaking and they know where is best to find out now to save finding a major expense later.

CavinJim

I agree gwhammy. A 955 or similar sized machine with a 4-in-1 is what I'd moist like, but I'm finding they are typically out of my price range. I've had good experiences, for the most part, with equipment I've bought, used, and sold. At least I haven't lost anything!

Those buckets caught my eye, too, DMiller. It does have a couple cylinder leaks which are not a deal breaker, would definitely need to check for more leaks. Though I have at least 8 hydraulic fluid buckets in my machine shed and shop but haven't added any to my 350 in several years. It was the three tractors, jd 555, and backhoe that were thirsty!

Unfortunately, I might be postponing a purchase for a bit. Priorities, you know....

Cold here this morning (1 below) but I'm sure many other HEF folks are much colder. Our power blinked off and on most of the night and finally went all out at 6:30 this morning. :( Came back on at 10:30 just before I went to get the backup heater. :)

gwhammy

My old equipment leaks some or alot from time to time. Lots of buckets setting around. It seems loaders and dozers of age have this problem no matter what color. I've went threw up to 10 gallons a day on jobs that can't be stopped.

Yes it was cold this morning, had to go to Columbia to make sure the equipment and dump truck would start tomorrow after setting all weekend. Secondary roads hadn't been touched at all, solid ice. Poor mini excavator wouldn't go so I put a battery charger on it for the night hoping it will go in the morning. The old mechanical cummins in the dump truck fired right off with no help.

Last edited: