• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need some advice on t.loader/dozer

CavinJim

I've gone round and round enough that I'm dizzy, so I'd like to seek some advice. I have probably close to a thousand hours seat time on tracks, mostly on my little JD 350. But I think I've forgotten more than I know. Anywho, I want a machine that doesn't exist (the size of a JD 350 and the power and weight of a 955 or 977...!). We have a couple hundred acres here in the Ozarks where we grow rocks and cedar trees better than anything else. Except maybe for iris's (the flowers, not the eye-parts). I have multiple projects that need doing or am planning--and I can't seem to settle on the right machine (dozer, track loader) or size (D4, D6?). Maybe y'all could offer some insight from your experience.

The projects are (in order of importance, time-line) to build a road (and by that I mean a trail, not something pretty with ditches, but something I can drive my JD 5075 tractor down (and up) with a trailer); to clear about 10 acres of trees to convert to pasture for a variety of walking food; and to, eventually, build a pond (or two) and possibly repair/rebuild a couple that leak. The setting: the trail needs to go up and down several steep hills, at least one of which will need to be cut in. Hill.jpg The ground is rocky in places--but those rocks are generally loose (if they are just half exposed (like an ice berg), won't they just roll under a dozer blade?). rockslittle.jpg The road will avoid most larger trees (past the scrub there are fewer small trees and are mostly 24" to 36" diameter oaks), but some medium-sized oaks are not avoidable (though I can cut those and grind the stumps). My initial thought was that a dozer with a six-way would be best for this task, especially being able to side-cast material on cutting in on the slopes. But, I have doubts that a six-way would be up to the task, especially if I run into many rocks. I have some other finish grading to do around the house where a small six-way would be handy, but I can do that task with my 350 and tractors (albeit not as efficiently).

Second task: clearing. The areas to be cleared consist mostly of cedar (all measurements are in diameters, 2" to 12"), hickory and oak (2" to 18"). I'll keep the larger trees (anything above about 14") (except for cedar, they ALL must go!), but there are maybe just two per acre of the larger trees. The average tree and size is about an 8" oak. They are mostly blackjack and if not, they fork (like a trident) 10' off the ground, so are generally useless except for firewood. In these photos the largest trees are about 8". trees1.jpg treesmultiple.jpg

The biggest problem and what has me most befuddled is that second photo--about half of the trees here are third-growth out of a cutting and so you have multiple trunks (usually 2-3 but sometimes 4-5) growing out of the same root-wad. The photo shows three trees (6"-8") all connected at the base. How do you get this out without breaking off the trunks????

Third task is to build a pond or three and maybe fix some leaky dams (might rent an excavator to help with that task). But this is low on the priority list. Might get high on the list if the wife wants it more than walking meat!

So--first question, would it be more reasonable to get a six-way, do the trail, sell that and get a 4-in-1 to do the clearing? In my experience, I won't go back to a GP bucket! That 4-in-1 on the 555 was fun! But I do have a grapple on the tractor, just not as powerful. What do you think is the minimum machine to deal with clearing what I've described (give or take a little)? I'd prefer to go on the larger than barely useful size. I know I can do the trail-building with a TL and a 4-in-1, but that might not be the most efficient option, though would it deal with the rocks better? (we grow 'em good here!).

The biggest question, though, are those pesky multiple-trunk trees. I really don't know how to approach them. If I treat them as one tree, then it would be a 14" diameter oak (on average), and a 555 has a terrible time with those (been there, done that, blew a hose, not going there again). I almost think a good, large (JD 850) straight blade (with tilt) dozer would be the do-all in this case, any thoughts there?

Other limitations: Budget for a machine right now is about $15K, maybe higher for the right machine, but no more than $18K. I'd prefer less, of course, wouldn't we all? I don't mind older machines (as evidenced by my 350) and I have a top-notch mechanic friend who owes me some favors, so between us we can fix most anything (as long as the parts cost don't go through the roof).

I'd be very appreciative of any advice y'all have. I've read just about every "which machine" thread here and on other forums, but I'm still befuddled. Maybe I'll just hock the place, find a D10R and level the hills.....!

CavinJim

Oh, and here's my JD 350. Got her about 7 years ago and had to rebuild both sets of steering clutches and do some other repairs (the poor thing had sat for too many years!). Added an electronic ignition with a high-energy coil and she starts right up and runs like a top, no smoke, uses no oil, and 12xx on the meter (it was 0960 when I bought it). I don't doubt those are original hours--I'm the third owner, the second didn't use it, and the first was the Department of Conservation. She's as old as me, and I know how I feel after a hard days work, so I go easy on the gal. She ain't purty, but the paint's original and I've never found new paint to make a machine run better! (usually it's the opposite!) Woods2.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I would personally go for a D-4 or 6 at first, most of the trees you are looking at have shallow wide root systems in rocky soils. My Brother In Law has a place outside Salem MO, is similar where the clear cutting left the trees more brushlike. Neighbor had an OLD 1956 D6C natural aspirated with hydraulic blade, did fine in the stuff but was low on power and hard to keep functioning with worn out rails, broken something almost every week just decrepit when bought. A later unit would serve well initially then trade up to a larger TL but keep the 350 for later touch up work. Get the big stuff down and brush piled, brush hog the smaller stubbly sprouts, sew in some decent grasses to keep erosion low then use the track loader to do finish work. Check with Zimmerman in Versailles MO, he tends to have some oddities he has to bargain to sell.

I am trying to justify a bigger machine for my little farm, have two ponds to set up, lots of Honey locust to push out, rows of old cedar in older fence rows where the wire is almost all gone save the stems sticking out of trunks, just need a heavier machine to drive a bit harder faster.

CavinJim

DMiller, do you take 68 or 19 down to Salem? Our place is about 2 miles off 68 aways north of Salem. I want advice since I'm not familiar enough with clearing with a dozer. Seems to me that I can wrench a larger tree out with a similarly powered loader since there's more leverage. Would a JD 555 loader clear better than a 550 dozer? I'm thinking a D4 would be a tad small.

RustedHeroes

I'm somewhat biased but I would recommend a 977L, something that size would give you the weight and power to get through those clumps of trees.

It would also with a bit of luck fall within your budget.

And yes its heavy, difficult to move and hard on fuel but so worth it when you have that 3306 screaming and plenty trees ahead of you.... Nothing quite like a 50,000# track loader for clearing trees

Also great for pond digging! Happy wife happy life!

Last edited:

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I'm Thinking along the same lines as RustedHeroes . A 977L would easily do your work but would be a little overkill in my opinion. How about getting a 977 or a 955 with a blade and a bucket. Kind of the same idea as a 4 in 1 only better (in my opinion) only because the 4 in 1's that I have been around did not seem to be built heavy enough for the machine they were on and were either sprung or had some sort of issue.

RustedHeroes

CavinJim,

Spend some time on youtube, quite a few excellent videos on 955's and 977's in action. Might give you a good idea on what they are capable of and help you make a decision.

CavinJim

How about getting a 977 or a 955 with a blade and a bucket.

Where do you find a blade for a 955? I would go for that combo! Would be great fun on a 977....

Kicking myself nowadays--passed up on a 977 for $3k that was in great shape. Didn't need it then. It was sold for scrap.

CavinJim

RustedHeroes, I spend way to much time watching crawler videos on YouTube! Looked at anight International 250 last weekend. It had way too many issues so I passed on that. Would have been overkill, too.

CavinJim

Then I see things like this:

http://semo.craigslist.org/hvo/5907354958.html

I think that would do very nicely--but, take a close look at the chains. It looks like the bottom rollers are worn out and are riding on the pin bosses and the idler is at the end of travel on the frame. But maybe I'm being too picky? But I don't know the condition of the hydrostats on this machine (would have to check that carefully, of course).

RustedHeroes

My only experience so far has been with Cat machines, I must say that I have been really surprised with the amount of support that's still out there for the older machines. My first love was an early 955K and all the parts I ever needed were still available through Cat and or aftermarket.

In my humble opinion I would recommend you lean in the direction of a CAT branded unit just based on my experience with parts/support availability

Here's a pic of my old 955K, very capable machine and I sometimes regret replacing it with the 977L when I get into tight quarters.
IMG_0542.jpg

P.S

I checked out the specs on that International 250... What a sexy beast!! :jawdrop

RustedHeroes

Then I see things like this:

http://semo.craigslist.org/hvo/5907354958.html

I think that would do very nicely--but, take a close look at the chains. It looks like the bottom rollers are worn out and are riding on the pin bosses and the idler is at the end of travel on the frame. But maybe I'm being too picky? But I don't know the condition of the hydrostats on this machine (would have to check that carefully, of course).

Chains look to be in great shape, bottom rollers for this unit are probably fairly reasonable.

Hydrostatic transmission would give me pause... However it would definitely fit the bill for what you're looking for

CavinJim

Nice, beefy 955K, RustedHeroes. I like that cage. Yes, the 250 is a beast, it would take a mighty tree to slow it down! If I found the right Cat, I'd certainly jump on it, but I've also been impressed at the parts availability for my old 350 deere and we have a dealer close by.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If you are on 68 then you know where Mike Smith lives, he has the old Fiat Allis equipment south of Salem on 19. He once in awhile has a Cat or Deere, the dozers he had were getting a bit old sitting while price wasn't moving. Had two FD14C units and an 11B last time I was by. Our old place is actually near Gladden, down old county road south and west of there, dead end and nothing but hills trees rocks. Over four years with my 180D and a 8 foot bush hog I managed to clear just over fourteen acres of the 168. Got tired of fighting City Hall with Sis in Law so quit going down there. She could not understand why I would spend time fuel and money down there if I was not trying to steal it from them. Bad choice of words towards me.

CavinJim

I know how that goes, DMiller. Makes you not want to do anything for friends or family. I used to ogle those crawlers on 19 back when I drove down to map caves along the Current and Jack's Fork, but now that I'm closer I don't get down there very often! Gladden area is a lot like here so you really know what a mess it can be.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Where do you find a blade for a 955? I would go for that combo! Would be great fun on a 977....

Kicking myself nowadays--passed up on a 977 for $3k that was in great shape. Didn't need it then. It was sold for scrap.

I only have experience with 977's with blades. A lot of times guys take an old D7 straight blade and retrofit it or have it retrofitted to mount on a 977. I'm guessing a D5 straight blade or maybe an old D6 blade might be a good size for a 955.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Have you considered renting a machine for a week and rough in your roads and clearing as needed. Just looking at my 2015 rental guide from Cat. The rates go down on longer terms but you can accomplish a lot in a week with these new modern machines so i'm showing weekly rates. D6N LGP @ $3,150, D6K2 LGP @ 2,190, 953D track loader @ 2,900, 963D track loader @ 3,540. These are all near new machines and will work hard and fast. $3,000 for a week and get it done without breakdowns and delays might be the cheapest way to go. Our local dealer will cut some slack on delivery charges if one is flexable about delivery time to work with there schedule. Just a thought comng from someone whom only recently bought his first machine new enough to not have a pony motor. Good Luck.