• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Help with ASV undercarriage

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Here is the deal. The nature of my business has changed. I am now totally on my own, in the business sense, although I still have a good network of local guys whom we share work and equipment with. My mentor and long time friend has sold off his 938 to his partner and I am often leaving money on the table with regard earthworks. In the truest sense I am hardscaping, but the spread is about 50/50 commercial and residential.

The plan is to downsize the Cat 248B to a RC50 sized track loader. We are constantly struggling in lots of loose sand and CTL/MTL's we have demoed leave the wheeled machines for dead. Down stream we want to look at an IT14 sized loader, or bigger to capitalise on the earthworks. At the moment we are trying to do a lot with an "all-rounder" and the 248B is not the best fine landscaping finishing machine.

Anyway, Cat dealer offered me $51K for the 248B on a trade for a new 247B with all the trimmings. This is good because the machine is 66" same as the 248 and all the attachments fit. This is bad because the 247 is 66" wide and we are trying to go narrower for tighter work....its also bad because the price of the 247B with cab is astonomical. The 247B is not an option.

This is available: http://westrac.cat.com/dsf/application/1,,7___1000000006,00.html

The machine is on the East Coast and has 900 hours. If I was to negotiate a deal on this machine they would effectively owe me money...and I would not be entirely happy with the undercarriage. So...this is where I need the help. I have never owned a CTL/MTL before. If I am getting the Cat dealer to overhaul the undercarriage as part of the deal what should I be asking/checking for in order to ensure I'm getting value for money and the job done properly. What items in particular will need attention at those hours. I don't want to run 300 hours and have the whole thing junked out on me.

Rocket

The link brings me to a page with a search field so I can't see what machine you are referring. That being said two things come to mind. First, what warranty are they offering on the used machine? Negotiate the best warranty you can get. The hours might be a concern especially if the machine were used like I see many machines being used around here. Second, the option of purchasing a new 247B might not be totally unrealistic. The spring is coming and CAT usually has some sort of financing "special". If they want to sell it they can make it happen. We've gotten quite creative with our purchases.

The 247B is a nice machine for landscape work and fits in very well especially if you are going to pick up the larger loader at a later time. It is lighter on its feet than the 257B and the response is generally quicker than the 257B (I traded a 247B in for a 257B for the height but the added weight seems to make it sluggish). I found the smaller ASVs left me frustrated trying to get work done especially coming from the small and mid sized 900 series CATs. I have been testing out some of the mini-skids (DitchWitch and Dingo) to fill that small gap between manual labor and the MTL. They seem to fit the bill nicely, as long as there is enough work to keep them running. Might be an option...

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Squizzy does the VTS system not appeal to you? They are expensive but you could keep the machine you have and have the flexability to run tires or tracks should you desire. Some CAT owners I have talked to favor the VTS over the dedicated CAT tracked machine. The can be had for about 13K US dollars, at least here they can.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Kaiser, we have looked very hard at the VTS. Its about 20K here. If we were going to stay with just one machine I'm pretty sure thats what we would be going with. However, I'd like to get down to 60" width or less for the CTL, which is why the 247 is not an option.

Rocket

Try this link. That what you are looking at? Looks decent. Definately worth a look. I'd have them do all the 500 hour and 1000 hour changes and check-ups, especially the sprocket sleeves (replace). As for the undercarraige: Inspect, adjust replace bogies and idlers, retaining rings and dust caps,

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
squizzy -- you may be right that the ASV is the best bet. Without rocks, the ASV UC should hold up all right; I'm not sure how the seals take sand, however. (Then again, even rigid-mounted UC have seals, so it might be a moot point.)

What about the Bobcat T140? It's less than 60" as well (55").

DILLIGAF

Occupation
buisness owner, excavation earthmoving and drainag
hey squizzy (Taylor I guess)
Did you end up buying the positrack?
I'm thinking of buying a 277c and just wondered how you went with the asv

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I ended up going down to the 226BII on the oversize Dunlops. It does heaps better in the sand. As an allrounder its doing very very well. Its often stuck with the forks on paving, bitumen, kerbs etc so running with the tyres is probably something we are always going to do. I'm keeping an eye on the C series tracked machines and the SR80 or PT80 as well. If I could get one more reliable honest operator I would be in the market proper....but I'm sick of losers and throwing good money after bad dopeheads.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
On another track:rolleyes: I basically went on a crusade to speak to the owner/operator of every track machine I've laid eyes on. It came down to:

How you drive it
Doing the U/C maintenance before it craps itself
How you drive it
and mainly
How you drive it

In a nutshell, and somewhat anecdotal, the difference between a careful operator and a rough nut was at least 500 hours in undercarriage life.

did I mention undercarriage life had a lot to do with how you drive it.......but (disclaimer:eek:) the guys I have been talking to only work in sandy conditions and its mainly just earthworks on open sites.....not screwing around in backyards and small areas. I know Italia and a few other tried track machines in the Quarrys and it was NOT pretty.

I know a guy out past your way...Roleystone I think, runs a Case 95XT and thinks its a main battle tank!. I reckon he could bust one of those tracked machines on the first day....Carl is his name, can't remember the business name but he is always in the rock and clay.