• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help in picking the right machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
I had a guy call me and ask how much it would cost to clear a driveway down to rock back into where he wants to build his house this driveway so he calls it is 1200ft long i consider that a little road lol. So now for the details in spots the soil might be as deep as 1ft and other places 3 inches. What machine do you think would be best for the job dozer or excavator the equipment i have are hitachi 300,D3,bobcat 337. The guy has not said what he wanted to do with all dirt removed, he has mentioned trucking up to where he is going to build the house. I was thinking maybe push it all into a row and load it with the hoe, but wanted to see what your guys thoughts are on this. There is the option of renting a larger dozer I dont really wanna go over a D-5 though cause you have to rent them for a month at a time. Lets here what you have to say. Thanks in advance and how would you guys price this job by the hour?
The width will be 15-16ft by 1200ft long.

Hendrik

Let's assume that the dirt will have to be trucked somewhere, I reckon use your excavator to load it straight into a truck or two. What sort of access is there? Plenty of room for trucks to turn around and park next to the excavation site? I should think a 30 tonne excavator can use a mud bucket to excavate the road. Why would you want to windrow it with a dozer and then load it with an ex into a truck?
Obviously the scraper crowd will jump up and down and demand you get a scraper but you sorta gotta think about the equipment that you have.
Far as pricing goes, work out exactly what the customer wants done, then work out the best way for you to do it and how much you will get done per hour. The problem is you don't know exactly how much material has to be shifted, if it averages out at 5 inches, that's a lot different to 9 inches. You may have to get a couple of sub-contractors with dump trucks to do the hauling but that is preferable to you doing it by yourself with one truck.
Working on the average of 8 inches, I have worked it out to 333 cubic meters, which is about 634 metric tonnes.

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Its a huge hay field so access is not a problem and I was thinking the ex would be the best but that means I'm in and out in about a day or so and i got a question what do you usaully charge for 30 ton machine I've been charging 125 my buddy gets 100 for his hitachi 200 I'm out in the counrty to. In the city I could get anywhere from 170-195 and hour which I never complained about thank god for goverement jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.