• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Help Identifying Portable Water Pump (ITT Marlow)

Josh James

Hello, I'm new to the forum and not sure if this is the right place to ask but I recently inherited a large portable water pump. I know nothing about this kind of equipment. I was curious if anyone had any information about it. Not sure when the pump was run last. I'm looking to get rid of it and was wondering how much something like this would be worth? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9581.jpg
    IMG_9581.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9585.jpg
    IMG_9585.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9589.jpg
    IMG_9589.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9591.jpg
    IMG_9591.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Looks very close to one we had at the quarry years back.

One suggestion, if crank starting pull up on crank don't push down! Both dad and myself learned that the hard way. If it kicks back you end up wearing the end of the crank handle between the eyes!

Price depends on if it runs and if someone needs one that big!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's a trash pump made for pumping dirty water. They are rated by the size of the suction piping. I can't tell from the photo but yours looks like a four inch suction. I haven't seen one with a Wisconsin engine for a bunch of years. Those are a fairly reliable engine but I had problems with the magnetos all the time. They don't like water. The engines do like to drink lots of fuel and when pumping are always at max load. I've heard the ones with the distributor systems worked a lot better. hshansen is absolutely correct about starting them. Dislocated or broken thumbs happened from time to time as well.

Welder Dave

I'd guess it's a 3 inch with the 30 HP engine. I bought a 4 inch Monarch trash pump for the M/C club and it had the 37 HP Wisconsin engine. It looks new enough it could have an electric starter.

Josh James

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate it. With the info provided I know a lot more about it now. It is quite the piece of equipment. I guess now the challenge is trying to find someone who would want to buy it. I'm assuming it runs but have no means of testing it. I don't really work with pumps as you can tell.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's a teflon ring riding on a carbon ring mechanical seal. It should be wet but just removing the pipe plug in the top and putting a bucket a water in there first to see if the seal is any good in the first place should be good enough.

Welder Dave

I see you have it listed in the for sale section but there's no way to respond there. I would suggest you contact ITT Marlow and find out more specific info about the pump and measure the ports to be sure what size it is. I don't know that specific pump only what the engine is. I'm only guessing on the GPM based on other pumps with a similar engine. Also you should be the one getting it running. You don't even know if it runs and pumps properly. Are there any suction and/or discharge hoses for it? It might be worth a $1000 but not if someone comes to look at it and has to do all the work that you should have done. The more info you have on it, the easier it will be to sell.

Josh James

I see you have it listed in the for sale section but there's no way to respond there. I would suggest you contact ITT Marlow and find out more specific info about the pump and measure the ports to be sure what size it is. I don't know that specific pump only what the engine is. I'm only guessing on the GPM based on other pumps with a similar engine. Also you should be the one getting it running. You don't even know if it runs and pumps properly. Are there any suction and/or discharge hoses for it? It might be worth a $1000 but not if someone comes to look at it and has to do all the work that you should have done. The more info you have on it, the easier it will be to sell.

Hopefully ITT Marlow gets back to me. I contacted them on Tuesday via their website and provided information/pictures of the pump. Apparently they are based out of The Netherlands so maybe it'll take a while for them to get back but so far no word. I'd like to get exact specs as you're saying. Working on getting on the pump checked out and running in the meantime though. It'd be easier to sell and wouldn't want somebody to do all the work. I don't have any hoses for it which is going to make it difficult to actually test it... wish I did. I did find an old auction listing for the same pump model but on a different rig which confirmed some of the info we had assumed about it.