• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help identifying old grader

AKG1963

Gentlemen,
I have done some searching for a manual for this machine and I have found nothing. Can someone recommend a way of finding a manual for this guy?

Thanks

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Based on your location an Austin Western Pacer 100. What make of engine is in it.? I'm going to hazard a guess at it being a small Detroit.
If it was on our side of the Pond it would be an Aveling Barford 99H.

Nige, you are a deep well of knowledge. I really appreciate you being a part of this group. I've learned more technical information in regards to graders of all types from you than from anyone else I know. Thank you sincerely!!!!

Bruce O

Hello,
I am about as new as you can get to heavy equipment. I just inherited a road grader and I want to learn how to run it for maintaining a 1/2 mile drive way, and for snow removal. I cannot find any identifying markers on it. No brand name, no model. All I can tell you is that it's yellow and fairly old, probably 40-50 years old. I'd like to figure out what the model is so I can see about getting a manual to run it and maintain it.

I've attached a photo. If anyone has any clues about this, please let me know.

Thanks
AKG
That is an Austin-Western, Clark bought AW in the 1960s, discontinued AW graders about 1980. The mechanical front axle drive was the snow plow king 30 years before any other make. Good for V plow, and with rear steer, good wing steering, minimal tire chain use. Good for narrow roads, building logging trails, crab steering in ditches. AW graders were common in the snow belt Minnesota through New York, and in the mountains.

You can sit while watching the blade, no standing necessary.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The junior high school I went to was Vernon Barford. Wonder if the Barfords are related?
I doubt it. Aveling Barford was formed in 1934 by the merger of two steam traction engine companies. Aveling & Porter from Rochester in Kent, and Barford & Perkins of Peterborough. A family connection with the founders of Perkins engines maybe? The whole shebang was owned by diesel engine manufacturing company Ruston & Hornsby.
The newly-merged company then set up a factory in Grantham in Lincolshire, which is where I did my apprenticeship, and started producing road rollers, small dump trucks, etc. The tie-up with Austin-Western to produce motor graders came much later.
The mechanical front axle drive was the snow plow king 30 years before any other make.
The original AWD grader 30+ years before anyone else "invented" it. I remember that timing the u-joints on all those drive shafts up and over the front frame was a pain though.