• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Help-- 1999 Yale GLP060 Forklift leaking Hydraulic Fluid Main Lift Cylinder Under Pressure

Steven Mena

Hey Everyone! My name is Steven. This is my first Post so if this is not the place to post this, please let me know!

I have a 1999 Yale GLP060 Forklift that we use for our new shop. Bought it used for a amazing price. Everything is great on it except one thing.

Recently (1 month or so), the main lift cylinder will start leaking under pressure. It's not a subtle leak either. Its more of a spray. Doesn't occur when I lift it without anything. Only when I lift things with the forks. I called a few forklift maintenance people in the area and they really weren't any help. All they said is that I need some sort of seal (didn't tell me which though)

All I need is to figure out
1- Can anyone provide me with a link where I can purchase the main lift cylinder seal for this forklift
2- What type of hydraulic fluid does this particular forklift takes. I added AW 32 oil from advanced auto parts after some investigation but I'm not 100% sure I'm right.

I also added some pictures. where my finger is is where it is leaking from. If you need any additional information please let me know!

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG-3673.jpg
    IMG-3673.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG-3672.jpg
    IMG-3672.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-3671.jpg
    IMG-3671.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

tractormech

You may or may not have piston packing that is blown and the pressure is blowing by the top seal and the wiper. Some cylinders have a piston packing and some don't. I don't know for certain what you have but if you do not have a piston packing you can take the chain and roller assembly off of the top of the rod, there's probably a snap ring holding it on, lay it out of the way,unscrew the nut at the top of the cylinder,remove it,leaving the rod in the cylinder and replace the packing and put it back together. If there's a piston packing you will have to pull the rod out of the tube and replace the seal there as well. Someone here may know for certain if you have a piston packing on a Yale or not. Any hydraulic shop can match the packing up for you.

Jeff14889

That’s the free-lift cylinder. Main lift cylinders are the two side ones. Don’t want you to order the wrong parts. You needs a rebuild kit, it’ll come with all seals for the cylinder, can be done without taking the cylinder out. Removed the chain and hoses, extend cylinder to almost all the way, then lower a little to get rid of pressure. Removed the cap, hammer and chisel or air hammer unless you have a large enough spinner. Removed paint on and cap and go from there.

bunkclimber

on a lot of the forklifts there are so many mast options you'll need the mast ID numbers(usually stamped in the main mast section,on the right side just above the tilt cyl mount) to give to the parts guy,as well as the machine serial and model number..many seal kit suppliers are out there, many are from good aftermarket suppliers for older machines..I just did a mast cyl repack on one of my lifts using an aftermarket kit,worked out great!! about $30 for the seal kit.