• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need advise hauling Cat D25C from Long Island to Lethbridge, AB

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Hi everyone. I purchased the machine last couple days ago and started checking into getting it hauled home to Lethbridge. Does anyone out there know the in's and out's of hauling a wide load off the Island. The machine is 10' 5" wide, 29' 2" length, 10' 5" high. It weighs around 43,500 lbs. I posted the load on a online dispatch sites to see what kind of interest is out there. Here is a picture of a similar unit that I looked at up in the Edmonton area last month. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4699 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4699 (1).jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 91

muzy

Gusse Long Island NY, have you called Mullen Trucking out of Aldersyde AB CA, for a quote?
I am sure they can help you out.

hosspuller

Long Island NY ??? Hope you got it cheap... I counted 9 states to transit the USA before Canada. Permits for every state ? Getting it past NYC is an interesting problem. Internet says 2400 miles.. :eek: Maybe a barge or ship to Duluth, Minnesota may be better than land.

Last edited:

James Sorochan

Occupation
Thanks Muzy, I found a page on their website and inputed the details. I guess the trick will be if they have a load headed east to make it economical for everyone. Hosspuller, I got the machine from what I can tell a fair price for what these things can do. They are not to small matching it with my 340 size excavator. They are all mechanical and parts are available from Cat. Have you noticed the price of new and used iron these days? I think they call that unjust gain in scripture. Everyone is getting greedy. Not good. I was bidding online on a couple D25C's up here in Alberta last month and the prices were were pushing past $40,000 for one and then $45,000 for the second. I didn't get the feeling the other person/persons I was bidding against were going to stop going higher. I bowed out. I couldn't get good info from the owners to justify bidding higher. With the unit in NY I was able to get info from owner ( by way of sales guy) and also talked to outside mechanic that recently worked on it and said he was surprised how good of condition it was in. I'm not a big fan of long distance transportation but in the long run I think the machine justifies the expense. I may be wrong, we'll see.

hosspuller

.... I guess the trick will be if they have a load headed east to make it economical for everyone.

I'm not a big fan of long distance transportation but in the long run I think the machine justifies the expense. I may be wrong, we'll see.

Thanks for getting back to the forum... I (and others) would like to follow along with your adventures. Please keep us updated as you get it home.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Sounds good, I'll keep everyone up to date. Right now I've been talking to my truck driver friend who has been helping me in finding someone that is willing to go and pick it up. I guess there will have to be at least one pilot truck, maybe two, maybe daytime move, maybe night time move, lots of construction to deal with also. Once transportation gets arranged I'll have to get the brokerage side figured out. That can have issues as well.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Just updating everyone on the rock truck. I found a driver out of southern Manitoba that is there on Long Island right now with it on the trailer waiting on permits to leave.

Attachments

• C9CE589C-D6E7-4A30-884E-C7F7F1A0CB15.jpeg
    C9CE589C-D6E7-4A30-884E-C7F7F1A0CB15.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 73CF0EC2-AEA8-4BB1-A1A7-38150C6EDCAE.jpeg
    73CF0EC2-AEA8-4BB1-A1A7-38150C6EDCAE.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 59

suladas

That's crazy it's that hard to move something of that size, I mean the only permit required in Alberta is the overwidth that is $15/year and something anyone who moves equipment already has, makes no sense why any other place would be so difficult.

James Sorochan

Occupation
The state of New York is it's own country. Lot's of paperwork to get anything done. But you do have to consider the infrastructure and population density of the place so I'm not surprised. The driver did some homework and decided to take the ferry across from Connecticut empty then pick up machine. Only have to drive over the bridges once with pilot car. I haven't heard from him since yesterday when he was waiting for the permit.

James Sorochan

Occupation
I think the truck and trailer would be in the range of 75 feet long. It would be $225.00 one way from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson. That was the short route for my driver coming from the north empty. He called me today to confirm that he should be crossing back into Manitoba Friday morning. He's going to unload the machine in Winkler and it will sit there until my friend with a truck from here hooks up my trailer and grabs it in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_4787.jpeg
    IMG_4787.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 42

James Sorochan

Occupation
My friend got back from the west coast this week and hooked up my trailer and headed for Winkler. He was deadheading until he got to Gull lake, Saskatchewan and got a call to haul a tractor from Medicine Hat, Alberta to Steinbach, Manitoba. He turned around and drove back 180 klm and grabbed it, dropping it off in Steinbach Thursday morning. His sister just happens to live there and he was planning to visit her all along. He was having a cup of coffee when I texted to see how things were going. He got to Winkler in the afternoon and got loaded up. He just got home tonight and will bring machine to the farm tomorrow. I guess everything is covered in salt from the roads so I will get the pressure washer out and give truck, trailer and machine a bath tomorrow.

Attachments

• A504FF18-5FA2-4701-B224-3390EABCC5D0.jpeg
    A504FF18-5FA2-4701-B224-3390EABCC5D0.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 32A695CE-6ECD-492E-A621-385CC2AE1ECD.jpeg
    32A695CE-6ECD-492E-A621-385CC2AE1ECD.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 48
  • EF38E0CC-F46A-497D-AB64-874BADD8C002.jpeg
    EF38E0CC-F46A-497D-AB64-874BADD8C002.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 48
  • C6580196-C564-4953-918F-57ACF8BF86FA.jpeg
    C6580196-C564-4953-918F-57ACF8BF86FA.jpeg