1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Need advise hauling Cat D25C from Long Island to Lethbridge, AB

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by James Sorochan, Dec 8, 2021.

1. James Sorochan

James Sorochan Well-Known Member

x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
    Hi everyone. I purchased the machine last couple days ago and started checking into getting it hauled home to Lethbridge. Does anyone out there know the in's and out's of hauling a wide load off the Island. The machine is 10' 5" wide, 29' 2" length, 10' 5" high. It weighs around 43,500 lbs. I posted the load on a online dispatch sites to see what kind of interest is out there. Here is a picture of a similar unit that I looked at up in the Edmonton area last month. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. muzy

muzy Well-Known Member

Gusse Long Island NY, have you called Mullen Trucking out of Aldersyde AB CA, for a quote?
    I am sure they can help you out.

rondig and DB2 like this.
  3. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Long Island NY ??? Hope you got it cheap... I counted 9 states to transit the USA before Canada. Permits for every state ? Getting it past NYC is an interesting problem. Internet says 2400 miles.. :eek: Maybe a barge or ship to Duluth, Minnesota may be better than land.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  4. James Sorochan

Thanks Muzy, I found a page on their website and inputed the details. I guess the trick will be if they have a load headed east to make it economical for everyone. Hosspuller, I got the machine from what I can tell a fair price for what these things can do. They are not to small matching it with my 340 size excavator. They are all mechanical and parts are available from Cat. Have you noticed the price of new and used iron these days? I think they call that unjust gain in scripture. Everyone is getting greedy. Not good. I was bidding online on a couple D25C's up here in Alberta last month and the prices were were pushing past $40,000 for one and then $45,000 for the second. I didn't get the feeling the other person/persons I was bidding against were going to stop going higher. I bowed out. I couldn't get good info from the owners to justify bidding higher. With the unit in NY I was able to get info from owner ( by way of sales guy) and also talked to outside mechanic that recently worked on it and said he was surprised how good of condition it was in. I'm not a big fan of long distance transportation but in the long run I think the machine justifies the expense. I may be wrong, we'll see.

muzy and hosspuller like this.
  5. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Thanks for getting back to the forum... I (and others) would like to follow along with your adventures. Please keep us updated as you get it home.

59 North likes this.
  6. James Sorochan

Sounds good, I'll keep everyone up to date. Right now I've been talking to my truck driver friend who has been helping me in finding someone that is willing to go and pick it up. I guess there will have to be at least one pilot truck, maybe two, maybe daytime move, maybe night time move, lots of construction to deal with also. Once transportation gets arranged I'll have to get the brokerage side figured out. That can have issues as well.

7. James Sorochan

Just updating everyone on the rock truck. I found a driver out of southern Manitoba that is there on Long Island right now with it on the trailer waiting on permits to leave.

Attached Files:

8. suladas

suladas Senior Member

That's crazy it's that hard to move something of that size, I mean the only permit required in Alberta is the overwidth that is $15/year and something anyone who moves equipment already has, makes no sense why any other place would be so difficult.

9. James Sorochan

The state of New York is it's own country. Lot's of paperwork to get anything done. But you do have to consider the infrastructure and population density of the place so I'm not surprised. The driver did some homework and decided to take the ferry across from Connecticut empty then pick up machine. Only have to drive over the bridges once with pilot car. I haven't heard from him since yesterday when he was waiting for the permit.

10. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Must be a heck of a ferry to handle a lo-boy rig
    edit: Yes it is ... Cheap too ... $3.50 a foot. Truck over 90 feet possible A whole less hassle than driving through NYC. 35 years ago I traveled to Long Island from PA. It was terrible then...

https://www.longislandferry.com/Common/Help.aspx?page=fares

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  11. James Sorochan

I think the truck and trailer would be in the range of 75 feet long. It would be $225.00 one way from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson. That was the short route for my driver coming from the north empty. He called me today to confirm that he should be crossing back into Manitoba Friday morning. He's going to unload the machine in Winkler and it will sit there until my friend with a truck from here hooks up my trailer and grabs it in the spring.

Attached Files:

skyking1 likes this.