• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need advice with John Deere 310SE rear end problem

enginerd

Occupation
Civil Engineer, Highway Construction
The missing bevel gear showed up late this morning. So I made one last trip to the dealer and headed back to the shop to finish reassembling the rear end. I made good progress, and it's now all back together, filled with low-viscosity Hy-Gard, and ready to mount back on the backhoe. If all goes well, I should be able to get that done tomorrow. Afterward, I have to attend to a tie-rod before I put it through its paces...

enginerd

Occupation
Well, I got it all reassembled today. No issues at all. Everything's back up and running. Let the digging commence!

enginerd

Occupation
Well... I may have spoke a bit too soon. My diff lock isn't working (and I'm pretty sure it was working before). Is it possible that I just got some air in the hydraulic line when I had it apart? And, if so... how would I go about bleeding that air out? I had assumed that this system would 'gravity bleed' like the the brakes do. I can't find anything about it in the manual...

It's also possible that there's something wrong with the electrical system that I haven't found yet. The fuse tests good, and I temporarily bypassed the foot switch. Where does the power go after the switch? The wires disappear into a wire loom, so I don't even know where to look. Again... the manual isn't much help here.

enginerd

Occupation
OK. I've figured out where the hydraulic diff lock solenoid is, and I've confirmed that there's electrical power to it when I engage the foot switch. And that pretty much rules out any electrical issues, except maybe the solenoid itself. I assume that I should be able to hear/feel it engaging when I push the switch, but I don't. I figure I have to pull the solenoid and bench test it. Am I going to lose a bunch of fluid if I pull the solenoid?