• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need advice on what equipment to buy

Ray450

Occupation
Police Officer and offroad race promoter
New member, but I've actually followed several threads and hope ya'll can help, I know Eddie should have some good advice.

Little background, I own 144 acres near Greenville Texas and hope to grow it to around 200 in the next couple years. I currently have a hay guy that comes in and cuts close to 100 acres of it. I lease to hunters during deer season and I put on about one offroad motorcycle race a year. This year I'm promoting a TCCRA race on June 14th, I'll lay out about 8 miles of track, a one mile Peewee track and I have a private 1 mile M/X track. I've raced M/Cs for about 35 years. I'm hoping to retire in about 5 years, will move to this land and might try my hand at ranching then.

I really want to add some more earth moving ability. There isn't one piece of equipment that is the best for everything. Some of the things I want to do are, build/maintain more M/X sections, build a metal building pad for a shop this year (40'x75') with perimeter/interior beams (several hundred feet of 1' to 1'6" trenches), work on my creek crossings and install a few more culverts, dig a over 1000' water line, septic system, eventually clear out about 100 of the damn thorny locust trees in my biggest field, prepare a pad for a house in a couple years, rock my 900' drive, clear a little more single track trail in the woods, fill in some of the front pond that doesn't hold water anyway to make the approach to my barn/house/metal building wider, eventually clear a couple miles of fence line for new fencing, creek fencing and cross fencing (about 1/2 of the two miles of perimeter fencing is down), and just general ranch/farm/track stuff in the future.

Right now I have a 60 hp M/F 2 wheel drive tractor with a loader (and the 3pt usual stuff, hay spears, 15ft batwing mower, boxblade, adjustable blade and post hole digger). The tractor is very useful. However, a lot of my land is low flood area, and it only comes out in good weather, as it will get stuck in wet grass and is very limited in what it can do with earthmoving. I'd like to only spend between $15k-25k.

Options I'm considering,
1) replacing my tractor with a 70-100 hp 4x4 tractor. (my tractor struggles with the 15' batwing, but since I have a hay guy I rarely need to mow and should probably just get a smaller mower).

2) buy a 4x4 backhoe, preferably with a 4n1 bucket

3) buy a tracked skidsteer in the 70-100 hp range (I know they have attachments for everything, but those attachments are very expensive)

4) buy a dozer in the 70-100 hp range (also have a neighbor with a 4x4 backhoe that wants to trade his backhoe time for dozer time if I get one).

5) continue renting or subcontracting whatever is best suited for the job that my tractor can't do, pretty much what I'll do anyway for things like trenching the water line. I spent $3k last year on 3 days of dozer work to build the M/X track, that needs more and will need to be cleaned up again for this years race.

I go back and forth on all 5 options with all of them being my #1 option at times. All have Pros and cons.

Advice?

Mjrdude1

How close is a dealer or rental yard to your spread? A compact track loader is an awesome machine for small work, and if your rent the attachments that you don't need often, it will save money.

Ray450

Occupation
I'm within 30 minutes of several large rental companies, I'm actually just outide the DFW metroplex. Yes, I have thought about a track loader with rippers as well. I kinda put it in the dozer category, but I tend to think a 6 way blade might be a better addition than the loader, simply because I have a loader on a tractor that could move loose material once dug up fairly well. I don't really see a need to ever move a lot, mainly just pushing a lot around. Which is one reason I keep thinking the skidsteer isn't giving me a lot more than my tractor loader, other than it certainly can dig better and much better in low traction situations. I used a friends large JD tracked skidsteer (unk model, he said it weighed 1,100# though) at my land two years ago before my first race. It was very good at digging and installing two creek crossings with culverts and clearing vines/debris on single track in the woods. Around the creek it dug great, but didn't dig well in my clay field areas. I also had a large saw blade attachment (wasn't a big fan, honestly I thought my chainsaw/on foot was quicker, and I didn't have to spend an hour trying to cut out a bunch of barbed wire that got caught up in it), it also had a toothed bucket (what I used the most) and a grapple bucket (I didn't think it was a lot better than my tractor/chains/loader to create a large burn pile of trees and limbs, but it might have just been the fact I sucked at operating it and have a good system down with my tractor). There have been several times I was leaning towards a skid steer, as a matter of fact, I was out bid by just $500 on one at a auction last year. Currently, I think I'm leaning more towards a backhoe. I get the hoe for trenching, tree removal, digging in muck, and I was hoping a 4x4 backhoe with a 4n1 bucket would dig/push/haul close to what a skidsteer would do, but could run around the property faster. That was one issue I had with the track skidsteer, it seemed like it took an awful long time just to drive it from the barn area, to the creek (1/4 mile maybe) to work on that crossing, then back to the barn.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Ray450.

I reckon you are spot on with your reasoning. I have never had or even driven one but I believe for your application a 4x4 backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket would be about the most versatile machine you could get . . . combined with a dump truck (provided time is not an issue) you can take on some pretty major earthworks.

I am in a similar situation but wanting to run a slasher (brush hog?) I have opted for a basic 65hp 4x4 wheel tractor with loader frame and 4in1. I have the option of a backhoe attachment that, although not as robust as a dedicated digger will do all I need to do in our lighter sandy country.

Such decisions are truly a 'horses for courses' issue.

Cheers.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
If there ever was a "one machine that can do everything"it would be a rubber tired backhoe.It can dig,grade,load material,carry hardware,clean up the job site and pavement,travel over the road,whatever you can think of practically a backhoe can do it.Without a doubt the most versatile piece of equipment there is if you could have only one piece of equipment.If you can get it with front wheel drive they are mind boggling in their capabilities.I would buy the brand with the best dealer network but but all else being equal the John Deere wins hands down.Case also makes a very robust line of equipment and their backhoe is among the best.Contrary to what many might think the Caterpillar line of backhoes has not impressed me but maybe I have not run enough of them in the past 60 years.Ron G

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Not sure if they even make a four wheel drive tractor/hoe with a fairly robust quick tach hoe any more. That would give you the best of both worlds to be able to drop the hoe and use your other attachments.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey Ray not sure of your mechanical experience but if I was in your position I would try an older backhoe and a older 6 way blade dozer. Dozer will shine on the mx track, pad building, and drive install and maintenance. And a backhoe would do the rest. Or maybe get a dozer and trade with neighbour or rent a backhoe/ excavtor. Sure would be nice to have both :) good luck.

Ray450

Occupation
Went to the auction today in Wills Point Texas, didn't get anything. Stopped on my way home and looked at Tractor Ranch and this dozer from a Craigs list ad, http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/4865159214.html . It is a 2005. I really liked it. The 4x4 backhoes seem to be crazy expensive compared to the 2wd ones. I think I would have the most use out of a dozer, but I can rent one for a month for about $3k, so I'm leaning towards just renting what I need, whether it's a trencher, backhoe, dozer, skidsteer, telehandler (prob need to rent all of these this year). I sure would like to get the 450h, any thoughts on it?

Ray450

Occupation
If it was within a couple hundred miles, I'd go look at it, no way I'm going all the way to Georgia though, and the shipping would be very high. I thought I was going to be most interested in a Cat D3c that was in the auction, until I saw it. It was too rough for me. I fell in love with a JD 650h at the auction that sold for $45k. Way too much for me to spend right now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If it was within a couple hundred miles, I'd go look at it, no way I'm going all the way to Georgia though, and the shipping would be very high.

I hear ya' Ray.;) Damn I would like to have that little loader though.:D

mudober

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
Hello Ray, I worked on Cooper Lake north of Sulfur Springs. Anyway, If I were you I would get a backhoe with 4x4 and extend-a-hoe. For a new operator i would suggest pilot controls that will be the easiest for you to get used to. You can skip on the four in one bucket on front its really not needed and adds a lot of extra weight on front. You will get a better deal from an private owner. Auctions are risky if you don't have a very good knowledge of equipment and tools to work on them.Dealers make there money on used equipment and repairs. If you can find someone retiring they may have a good machine for sale. Take your neighbor to look at them with you if you guys are buddies.If you get a hoe you will find yourself on it all the time doing something. Good luck,Mudober

CatToy

I do not have land like yours but I have done a lot of clearing and dirtwork including building a pond on my small farm. I started with a small tractor and wheeled skidsteer which worked fine to clear land but was real slow. I hired out some work but never seemed to get it done the way I wanted. Picked up a backhoe, all around more useful such that I sold the skidsteer and finally picked up a track loader which now allows me to clear bigger trees and move more dirt. I would like to get a dozer but not absolutely needed with a backhoe and trackloader. I agree with others, if I were limited to one piece, I would own a JD 410k or something of similar size. I rented one when I was shopping for a backhoe, never could find a good used one and new is ouch!

Last edited:

Ray450

Occupation
Still have not gotten anything, mostly because I go back and forth on what I should get. I had to cancel my dozer rental because it's been so wet and my race was postponed to August. I'm on a waiting list to get a JD 450 brought out for a week in the next couple weeks. I'm debating if I need it for longer now. I'm going to re-work my M/X track, build some new jumps and prepare 2 building sites. A 50x75x18 steel building is going up in September, and I'll just somewhat do some dirt prep for the house that isn't going to be built for several more years. This is my plan for the metal building, which is the priority. It sits on a fairly level 8-10 acre hill-top with no trees, so it drains well and is my highest ground. I'm planning on scraping off the grass (2"-4"?) in an area 5' bigger in all directions, then leveling, highest to lowest is probably no more than a 20" difference, most is within a foot. Then bringing in approx 100 CY of select fill, spreading, and compacting mostly with the dozer, then my 60 hp tractor. Then adding another 60 CY of sand. As best I can determine, this should be about 6" select fill, 4" of sand. This should give me a total of approx 12" above surrounding grade with the 5" slab. Sound reasonable? Backfill with the topsoil scraped off, and probably then bring in some top soil to finish that to within 5" of slab grade, sloping away from building (Prob have to do that much later with tractor/boxblade), and 4"-6" crushed concrete for one side that has a 75' lean-to.

jd1364

Occupation
Ranching, Retired
Ray 450, Be careful with the local equipment yards. Caught 2 of them running the hours back. Went to the auction in Wills Point to check out a JD 310 D backhoe but it had over 5000 hours on meter, few weeks later stopped in at a dealer outside of Tyler and spotted a JD 310 D on the yard for sale. Well looking at the tractor I noticed it still had the auction numbers on the machine so I got my note book to check the serial number and lo and behold it was the same machine from Wills Point auction with 5000 plus hours but now it only has 3000 hours on the meter. Be careful. If you want a good honest Equipment dealer check out Southwest Equipment in Tyler. Good honest dealer. I have a lot of neighbors that have purchase from them and all been happy with their dozers.

Ray450

Occupation
Thanks. I did end up renting a JD 450 from U-Rent It in Rockwall. Got the hang of it pretty quick. I built my building pad in a couple days, ended up with 120 cubic yards of select fill and 80 C/Y of sand brought in. Spent a couple days rebuilding my M/X track, adding several jumps and re-doing two creek crossings. I was able to get everything done, except a couple spots that were just too mushy. Dozer worked good, but it was hard to leave a smooth surface. I actually finished up with a disk and box blade on the tractor. That worked really well on the sand. In the back where I had a lot of wet clay, this dozer just didn't seem to really have enough H/P to get the job done, fortunately, most of my work was not in this area. I think I'll probably end up getting a backhoe or a big tracked skid steer later. Concentrating on my race in two weeks now, and then the metal building. Thanks for the advice on the auctions.

Ray450

Occupation
Old thread, but I did finally pull the trigger on a piece of equipment. Bought a 1997 Ford 555E Backhoe with a 4n1 bucket, 3,350 hours. Got the hang of the controls pretty quick, the shuttle shift tranny is easier to use than my Massey tractor. It's not the perfect machine for everything by any stretch, but I think it will do a pretty good job at a lot of things. Any advice?