• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a starter..whats a good brand?

Hobbytime

well after almost 40 years the oem lucas 26395f starter bit the dust..I see this is a popular starter that is used in many brands of equipment..lucas brand seems unavailable to buy as a replacement..so whats a good made in china brand as there seems no " made in the USA with USA components are avail"...prices run from around $100.00 to several hundred...I heard Wilson brand starters are good quality and even called them , they stated they use quality made in china parts in their starters..so any feed back would be appreciated on what brands seem to be better than other brands...I dont mind paying for quality, im sure whatever I put in woont be lasting as long as the oem one, but ill probably not be here in 40 years , so it will be the next owners problem, but 20 years would be nice..thank you in advance for any info..

auen1

Maybe check around for a place that can rebuild your old one.
Sounds like it was a good starter.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Yeah, have a local alternator/starter/motor rebuilder shop, they specialize in low voltage stuff but will tackle bigger 120/240 motors if needed. I've never had anything they could not repair. Sometimes the small local guys are the way to go.

Hobbytime

thanx for the info, I will check out a few local re builders and some new online sales..

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It's sad that so many American made products are only assembled in America. My Kansas built Ford has a lot of off shore parts on it.

Hobbytime

It's sad that so many American made products are only assembled in America. My Kansas built Ford has a lot of off shore parts on it.
tell me about it!!! lol..I would gladly pay MORE for an all American made replacement..they just dont exist.. even the rebuilders have to use china made parts...the few rebuilders and new starter builders all use china parts but claim they are of better quality then the cheaper china stuff, I believe that is true, as china will build or make to your specifications , but all only come with a 1 year warranty, luckily they are cheap enough that it wont break the house if it dies after a year, but one would hope to get a reasonable time out of a new starter..

auen1

Be interesting to know what part failed on your starter.
Might just be a wire or something simple, not needing a complete rebuild, just a repair.
40 years on a starter is impressive.
I wouldn't toss it out or replace it until I knew what exactly failed.

Hobbytime

Be interesting to know what part failed on your starter.
Might just be a wire or something simple, not needing a complete rebuild, just a repair.
40 years on a starter is impressive.
I wouldn't toss it out or replace it until I knew what exactly failed.
I opened up the starter and a big pile of rust and black dust came out, it has a burned smell to it, im thinking the windings are shot, I will bring it in to a rebuilder for an estimate, but im sure its not gona be cheap, but you never know, im just looking at options and what will give a quality starter in the end..

Hobbytime

update, got the new starter from Romaine Electric, looks like an exact copy of the lucas, but no markings on the starter at all, I know its a china made unit, bench tested it and it spins like a SOB and almost twisted out of my hands, so lots of torque , I wont be able to install into the backhoe for a week as im out of town for a bit...looks like a nice unit, but only time will tell, and for $114.00 delivered to my door , ill take the chance on how long it stays together...im still going to see how much a rebuilder would want to fix the old lucas unit and keep it for a spare..ill check to see if it is the same starter for my JD track loader, that would be a bonus if it did..

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
$114 bucks wow! A reman starter for my 96 F150 is $146 bucks and I have to go get it.

dn29626

This is months old, but my .02
My 26395F went out recently and I paid ~$150 to rebuild it. Now will engage to flywheel, but will not turn engine over a complete revolution. Rebuilder insists it is right. I don't think so. Money wasted probably.
Hobbytime...how is your new starter doing?
Can you provide a link to the replacement you purchased?
I am looking at ebay for possible replacement too.

Delmer

DN, have you checked the voltage at the starter while it's trying to crank? use an aligator clip on the cable from the solenoid to the starter, and one on the starter body, run both to a voltmeter and see what you get while cranking. If that stays around 10 or higher, then check that the engine turns over easily by hand.

Let us know what you find, even if you just get a new starter...

Hobbytime

This is months old, but my .02
My 26395F went out recently and I paid ~$150 to rebuild it. Now will engage to flywheel, but will not turn engine over a complete revolution. Rebuilder insists it is right. I don't think so. Money wasted probably.
Hobbytime...how is your new starter doing?
Can you provide a link to the replacement you purchased?
I am looking at ebay for possible replacement too.
Hi, so far the starter is great, it fit right in like a glove and the wiring was the same...just do a search on ebay, I think they showed several electrical connections for the starter depending on your application... ill try and find the link to the one I bought.. heres the place I bought from http://stores.ebay.com/urqualitysolutions/

dn29626

...DN, check that the engine turns over easily by hand...
It turns over by hand.

If I get another starter I am considering going from a starter with a 4 bolt to a starter with a 2 bolt solenoid.

Last edited:

dn29626

...use an aligator clip on the cable from the solenoid to the starter, and one on the starter body...
Do I disconnect the small wire from the starter...
Connecting the tester...one clip to small wire...other clip to starter tab...try to crank?
Basically, have the power run through the tester?