• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a lead on septic box manufacturer

muddauber

Howdy folks, first post in several years, hope everyone is doing well! If I am in the wrong sub-forum please move it mods.

I searched several terms trying to find previous posts about this but struck out, let me know if I missed one.

Does anyone know of any manufacturers on the east coast that makes a gravel/pipe box for installing pipe/gravel in a septic leach line? I used to have one but I sold it 20+ years ago when my work turned more towards commercial and development. Well fast forward to 2018 and I am starting to do more septics and general residential work again, I got tired of the insane level of regulation/permitting/oversight for development work that has taken over around here so I am switching gears, back to my roots :)

In case I was as clear as mud, I'm talking about the steel "box" on skid runners with the pull plate on a chain that you grab with the backhoe teeth and pull towards you as you grade the ditch, keep it filled with gravel and a 100' roll of perf pipe loaded in it and it beds the pipe in the gravel following the grade of the ditch, get to the end of the ditch and pull it out. Not a trench shoring box, and not a gravel bedding box. I bet some of the folks on here use one of these and knows what I'm talking about. Where did you get it?

I'm pretty sure I remember it well enough to make one if I have to, but like most folks these days, time is what I am short on. I found one company out in Oregon, but the freight will no doubt add up, that's why I'm looking for east coast or nearby.

wrc

Wow never heard of such a box, but I can envision such a tool I think! Sounds like an awesome timeshare. I would really like to see one in action.

muddauber

Well, different states, different specs I guess. Virginia allows corrugated hdpe, pvc, and even open joint terra cotta/v.c. in the absorption field for conventional gravity systems. Systems here are designed by the state, or a licensed designer. Installers are licensed.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can't offer any help but around here standards vary from county to county as to what is approved for septic or even water lines in a house.

Where I live anyone can wire up a house, just needs to have an inspector come out and sign off on it. But any plumbing has to be done by a licensed plumber. But septic system outside of the foundation can be done by anyone and then get inspected. It sure can get confusing at times!

muddauber

A follow-up to my original post. @wrc said he would like to see the box, and by accident I found a youtube video (not mine) that shows a very similar gravel sled - fast forward to about 4:45 to see how it works.

I found a gravel box that another local contractor owned, so I measured it and will build my own.