1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Need a grease gun and grease recommendation.

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by edgephoto, May 9, 2020.

1. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

We have a similar unit to fill our Milwaukee gun. Works well.

Tinkerer and CM1995 like this.
  2. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Our grease tubes are plastic and we refill them from our 80 lb air kegs from time to time. Works great with a Milwaukee 18V.

DB2 do you have a part # or a link on that piece?

3. cosmaar1

cosmaar1 Senior Member

I purchased a makita a few months back. I’ve put about 5-6 tubes through and I’m fairly happy. Every once in a while I lose a prime when switching a tube, but I’m sure that’s user error. I’m not used to the sound when empty yet.

4. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Does the Makita have a button to prime with?

The Milwaukee has an air release button on the side that lets the air out. Put a new tube in, hit the trigger and push the button on the side until the air comes out and a little grease pushes then it's good to go.

5. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

As far as getting grease everywhere I have my collection of stained shirts that I shouldn't have been wearing at the time but just 1/2 dozen or so..

Now this stuff will search me out on the jobsite and get somewhere on me that I cannot see until it has ruined my clothes and the truck seat. A bucket of this can be opened clear across a 100 acre site and I WILL have some on me before I go home..

Hydrocide.jpeg

I am certain that Satan himself created this vile concoction.

aighead and colson04 like this.
  6. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

We had open 5 gallon buckets of koprcote for doping connections on drill pipe. That stuff ends up on everything. One dab will cover a person if they aren't careful about getting it off. Coveralls, Jean's, shorts, office chairs, truck seats, etc all end up with their share after a short while

Sportsman762 likes this.
  7. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

DB2 do you have a part # or a link on that piece?[/QUOTE]

83DE3B68-C5BF-4A9A-AA9E-EFCBBDDE3AC3.png

I believe this is what we went with. I’ll ask my mechanic tomorrow to make sure.

CM1995 likes this.
  8. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

That's good to hear. I was thinking about getting the Makita.

cosmaar1 likes this.
  9. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

I like that Lucas oil mine grease. I'd be curious how the Mobil works out for you.

10. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

Looks like the Makita and Milwaukee are the same price on Amazon.

11. cosmaar1

cosmaar1 Senior Member

Yes it has a valve that you can spin to do what you mentioned. I just had a lot of air in it because I didn’t realize it was out.

DB2, CM1995 and doublewide like this.
  12. cosmaar1

cosmaar1 Senior Member

I bought mine from tractor supply around Christmas. They had the whole kit for 199. I couldn’t believe it. The kit has the gun, case, battery, and charger. It was cheaper than just buying the tool itself.

doublewide likes this.
  13. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

I have a buddy that runs Makita. He hates the grease gun, says Milwaukee is so much better it's no comparison.

I run 20 V Lincoln for greasing. I'm all Milwaukee tools, but will not own a grease gun. I have two guns, and four 3 amh batteries. The bigger batteries are key. Those little 1.5s that come with the gun are not the answer.

bam1968 likes this.
  14. aighead

aighead Senior Member

CM1995- I think your bucket that can get you from a hundred yards somehow manages to get me too! I can just look at my backhoe and somehow get greasy.

15. StumpyWally

StumpyWally Senior Member

PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
    Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
    My gun doesn't leak, but I do get some leakage sometimes around the fitting in the lock'n'lube. This can lead to some grease covering over time.

Otherwise, it sounds like many of you get just just as greasy as i do!!