• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NCCCO Test Questions

ichudov

I would like to try to pass a nccco test. I have some questions.

1. Do I have to be union
2. Will I have problems because I am not union (Chicago area)
3. I understand that I can bring my own crane. (Grove RT60S). Will I be allowed it?
4. Does the crane have to be certified?
5. How hard realistically is it to practice for it.
6. Is that somehow employer-limited, like only certain employers are allowed to sponsor an applicant?

Just a background, I was able to learn enough to pass a CDL test 2 years ago without going to a school.

crane operator

1. No
2. No, there's no laws against being non union. They union guys don't like non union guys, but that has nothing to do with NCCCO
3. All depends on where you are going for the "practical" portion of the test. Most testing centers have cranes already set up, to use your own crane they would have to send the practical examiner to your location, and your crane will have its own test grid, with dimensions determined by NCCCO, by the size of the crane. Most practical examiners want to use their crane, so they don't have to set up a whole different course, but that's up to each individual examiner. Some will come to your yard, some will only do it in their yard.

4. no- it should be safe though. I could see some examiners refusing if its got a bunch of screwed up cable or its puking oil everywhere.
5. You could set up a temporary course in your own yard and run through it a bunch just so you get a idea of what your doing. I just sent a operator a week or two ago to get his practical, swing and fixed cab. He had no trouble, but there was another guy there at the same time from a roofing company, and he practiced all day, and I don't think he passed.

Most of the union guys take their written and practical NCCCO at their training site. The union has their own examiner, they take the tests and practical portion all on the same site. You will have to go to a independent examiner, who probably tests both union and non union guys, but most union guys are going to take it at their training center, because it doesn't cost them much there.

Just so you know- the written portion of the test is available to be taken at a lot of community colleges and for profit testing centers. The list of available testing centers is on the NCCCO web site. You don't have to go to a week long $2,000 class.

The NCCCO website should also have a list of "practical" examiners in your area.

ichudov

Crane Op, thank you very much. If I practice with my Grove, should I expect another crane (at the test site) to operate generally the same?

crane operator

The course will be the same, just the dimensions change by how big the crane is. You have to put the ball in the barrel, run the barrel through the zig zag course. It just changes how far away it is by how large the crane is.

You could end up taking the practical swing cab on anything, whatever the tester offers. I took mine on a pilot joystick grove rt. My operator just took his on a terex rt 30 ton which is levers on the dash, but the boom is two pedals, one boom up one boom down.

In some respects its like driving a CDL truck, do they all shift the same? Yes, but theres a lot of difference inbetween a old 5 speed with a two speed rear, a 9 speed eaton, a super 10, 18 speed, or a quad range mack. Sure they are all trucks, but the shifting is different.

The more different cranes you've run, the easier it is to get used to something new. And it makes a difference if you do it everyday. When I had my first crane, and had only ever lifted our own stuff on our own jobsites, I would have had a hard time going and passing a timed practical on a crane I had never run. Today I wouldn't hesitate to go.

They will give you a some time to run the crane to get used to it, typically 15 minutes or so. If you want 3 hours of practice time on their rig- they are probably going to charge you extra for the crane practice time.

crane operator

I was also going to say, NCCCO is not the only place you can get a crane operator "certification". It is however, probably the best one, and the most recognized across the country.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
There are several certs they give based on crane.....small hydro, large hydro, lattice boom etc. Plus there’s a rigging certification. When we send guys they do all the cranes and some do rigging as well. It takes several days when they go do it all.

crane operator

I would just get the asme book, and then there is a free copy of the OSHA regs for cranes available on the internet. Everything you need to know will be in those two.

I think ichudov is only going to want his cert for his RT- so he needs swing cab. They don't do small and large hydro anymore, now its swing cab and fixed cab which equals the old large and small hydro.

Most insurance companies are requiring the operators to be certified. OSHA hasn't quite got its arms around the mandatory third party, they keep extending it.

I have my swing cab and fixed cab. I at one time had lattice truck and crawler written passed, but never found time to do a practical. I should get my riggers just for one more card, but haven't.