1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

NCCCO recertification testing

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by skyking1, Oct 11, 2021.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I checked into recertifying my NCCCO card. Operating Engineers 302 is offering paper and pencil tests on November 13th.
    they're doing refresher courses as follows:
    Tower Thursday November 4th, 6:00 p.m.
    Load charts Friday November 5th, 6:00 p.m.
    Core Saturday November 6th 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    I am not renewing the tower, I have never used it. I figured it is $180 down the drain.

2. Natman

Natman Senior Member

What is it, 5 years duration?

3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

yes, I am due in December I ran right up to the end :)
    Part of me wants to keep the tower card, but the odds are really low that it will matter. I really prefer a job where I am up and down off the crane and busy.

4. Natman

Natman Senior Member

I did ask my instructor, first thing/first day: if there was an age limit? He laughed and said he has had a few "student" over 80, that's something to look forward too! 8 more years.....

5. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

we talk about firsts. Now I am talking about lasts. I suspect this will be my last crane cert, and in June I will get the last medical. In December I will renew the CDL for probably the last time too.
    I like this stuff but I like other stuff more better. I need to get some boat certs :)

Steve Favia likes this.
  6. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Someone else can have that tower cert. I like having my "seat" on the ground.

bccat, John Griffin, hvy 1ton and 2 others like this.
  7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I see that hook hanging and know the tower is just not for me.
    I thought it was cool, OK freakin cold in Ellensburg in February, to get it.
    The tower had no landings, just a 100' death ladder with a follower cable for your harness.
    IMG_20170208_124441.jpg

There was a little grove doing christmas trees under me with Ironworker apprentices. Fun stuff.
    IMG_20170213_154240.jpg
    The test was OK.
    Then I was Meh, and then a couple of years later I got up in a 240' tower with 240' of boom on a slack day with my boss. It kicked my arse. Having the cert did not equal me being cut out for it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021 at 3:45 AM