• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

National 326a as a not for hire transport and welding rig.

wgh71dad

Hey all. So its a 326a thats a 2 stage with a swing stowed jib. Made in 1986. My plan is to fix it and run it to move things like machine shop sized machinery. Excavator buckets and such. And a welding fabrication rig i can pick and set off when I need to.
Ok so here's the question.
What kind of inspections or essential maintenance needs to be addressed before I put it into service? I am talking about the crane itself. The truck is an international dt466 manual trans pretty solid drive train. I have to do brakes and cosmetic stuff but .... so what ya think?

CraneMechanic73

Essential maintenance for the upper. Generally wire rope inspection and lube. Grease and check boom wear pads. Check hoses for damage that needs replacing. Turntable would need to be greased and checked for excessive play. Also check play at swing pinion gear….etc.

Before you attempt to put it to work you might think about a third party inspection. We all sometimes miss a potential problem.

wgh71dad

Hey all. So its a 326a thats a 2 stage with a swing stowed jib. Made in 1986. My plan is to fix it and run it to move things like machine shop sized machinery. Excavator buckets and such. And a welding fabrication rig i can pick and set off when I need to.
Ok so here's the question.
What kind of inspections or essential maintenance needs to be addressed before I put it into service? I am talking about the crane itself. The truck is an international dt466 manual trans pretty solid drive train. I have to do brakes and cosmetic stuff but .... so what ya think?
Essential maintenance for the upper. Generally wire rope inspection and lube. Grease and check boom wear pads. Check hoses for damage that needs replacing. Turntable would need to be greased and checked for excessive play. Also check play at swing pinion gear….etc.

Before you attempt to put it to work you might think about a third party inspection. We all sometimes miss a potential problem.
Thank you. So I have another question.
This unit has worked in the past i have used it before but it sat for some time before I got it. Now it won't spool down. Hyd sound like when a cylinder hits its limit now if I have a thousand pounds or so on it it will spool down but sounds terrible (found out pulling a truck bed only did it couple times been using as a boom truck otherwise.) It spools up smooth.
Would it be best to pull the spool or is it a hydraulic issue do you think? Obviously you can't diagnose from this but maybe a good place to start?

CraneMechanic73

Can’t say Ive worked on this particular model. However, I would be looking at the winch brake/brake valve given the symptom you describe. Reason why…the winch only releases the brake on a winch down function. Winch up basically works with a sprag clutch that allows winch up without having to release the brake. Your brake may be dragging on winch down. So the brake pack usually has a pressure seal or two along with a piston and clutch/friction discs. Could it be something else….yes. But given it’s a 1986 that’s been sitting and your wanting to put it back into safe working order. I would build the winch and see during disassembly if you find any damaged consumables like the pressure seals or frictions that might explain the symptom you’re seeing.
Also, a lot of boom trucks use Braden winches. Braden website has info on troubleshooting winch issues.