• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My TL150 is King Kong. Seriously, this machine is a tank.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
So, I went and got a used Tl150 with about 1600 hrs. I slapped on some new tracks and threw it to work. It basically hits any job that my wheeled case machine would be troubled by. This means if I am digging trees or stumps or its wet it goes to the site.

It absolutely sucks at dirt compaction, the case kills it at that. But for knocking down trees and moving dirt and running in mud this thing is worth it's weight in gold.

Here are some recent pics.20150321_175016.jpg20150206_173226.jpg20150204_091308.jpg

Last edited:

lumberjack

Fastdirt and I haven't had any trouble with soil compaction in cohesive soils. I achieved 95% on standard proctor on a large dirt job I did back in 2013. Heaped bucket shifts most of the weight to the front of the tracks, works well for me!

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
Fastdirt and I haven't had any trouble with soil compaction in cohesive soils. I achieved 95% on standard proctor on a large dirt job I did back in 2013. Heaped bucket shifts most of the weight to the front of the tracks, works well for me!
We've had similar results as well. They pack better than I thought they would. Not trying to pick on you G I , just making a statement :drinkup
Congrats on your purchase ! Very stout machines !

Georgia Iron

Occupation

To me, the wheeled machine seems to pack in the dirt tighter and faster than the tracked machine. The only method I use to check the compaction is a 1/2 piece of rebar probing the soil. The building inspectors here will not let a building go up on fill dirt with out piers and they can't inspect piers. The engineers we use only allow us to put in a concrete pier with a max depth of 6'.

The wheeled machines have some advantages vs the bigger tracked machines. If I could only have one for doing what I mostly do which is building slabs and light dirt work, I would lean towards having a wheeled machine. I attempt to not run around in mud, when doing those. For me it is all about speed.

Also for loading concrete and asphalt demo I like the tires better since I am normally turn on concrete to load.

Here is a few pics from yesterday.
20150410_145633.jpg

20150410_145711.jpg

That job I quoted 3 times as high as somebody else. I did not get the job. Who ever it was showed up did all the saw work and stacked all the asphalt in that nice pile. Then they realized that the rain and mud was a big problem and they made a mistake pricing the haul off and pulled a no show just as the apartment complex was needing it done yesterday. They had to call me back and I still charged the same price even though half the work was done for me! Should I feel guilty? I had left the tank on another job earlier and was running it moving mud so the case was all I had at the shop.

So far I still think the case 75xt is one of the best machines I have ever used. It has good power to fuel usage. It is nimble and quick. But it would be much better with 20 more horsepower. It runs about 70 hp at 7000 lbs.

The "tank" as I call the tl150, pushes 3 times as hard as the case. It will easily rip up good size stumps the case probably would never get out, just due to the weight of the stump. I can't believe for all these years I have gotten by without it. But at the same time I still use the case as my go to machine for general work.

Last edited:

Fastdirt

Congrats GI. That thing is a beast. Especially for the money of a used one. Those things have been around long before most it's competition and they have a great reputation. I'd put it up against any $110,000 Cat any day. I always think when I'm pushing with mine and it rolls dirt over the top of the 14" guard sticking up above the bucket that the tracks aren't meant to handle this much force... and why doesn't everybody have a guard extension and mostly why don't they sell buckets like that. Good for you on the low hour tank find. Good to see you busy too.

I really want one of those metal buildings you do. We should talk. I am out growing my place and don't think I'll be here much longer than a couple more years. I want a building I can take with me. I am willing to pour the slab and take a loss when I move but I just need a dang shop bad. 20x30... maybe 30x40. I don't know really. Every time I get fired up and call places they say "oh it'll be 3 to 4 weeks or more" I'm too spontaneous for that.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Congrats on the New Iron GI ! I really liked the TL150 machines too. Very powerful units but my God it would absolutely pound the living daylights out of an operator at the end of a days work in it. .I ran a TL12 yesterday afternoon for a few hours on a Demo and again a great machine but the ride difference between my 299XHP's and the TL12 is Like night and day. I felt like I stepped back in time 30 years in terms of pure operator comfort on the TL12...My 299XHP out muscled it as well, not by much though. The 299XHP is still the biggest and baddest CTL on the planet right now with a huge price tag to match..XHP stands for Xtra High Price !
TAK always has a great iron and a very competitive price point in my humble opinion that always keeps me coming back to Demo their latest offering. Just can't get past the horrible ride characteristics of the design, maybe the screws and metal rods in my lower back have a little something to do with my strong words on the ride or lack there of with the TAK..Good Luck with your new Iron GI.....it's a dandy by anyone's measure...

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Hey thanks. Look at a 24 x 40 or an 18 x 40 for value.

Congrats GI. That thing is a beast. Especially for the money of a used one. Those things have been around long before most it's competition and they have a great reputation. I'd put it up against any $110,000 Cat any day. I always think when I'm pushing with mine and it rolls dirt over the top of the 14" guard sticking up above the bucket that the tracks aren't meant to handle this much force... and why doesn't everybody have a guard extension and mostly why don't they sell buckets like that. Good for you on the low hour tank find. Good to see you busy too.

I really want one of those metal buildings you do. We should talk. I am out growing my place and don't think I'll be here much longer than a couple more years. I want a building I can take with me. I am willing to pour the slab and take a loss when I move but I just need a dang shop bad. 20x30... maybe 30x40. I don't know really. Every time I get fired up and call places they say "oh it'll be 3 to 4 weeks or more" I'm too spontaneous for that.

Fastdirt make sure you give me a shout when you get set for your building. I will cut you a deal on a high quality building. If you could take care of the concrete that would be great. I am 6 weeks behind now on concrete work and it is nothing but rain now. It typically takes about 3 weeks or so for a crew to show up to build the building from the time of order.

The best deal is an 18' wide unit they normally run around 4 to 5 k plus concrete. A nice 24 x 40 runs about 10 k and a 30 x 50 runs 16 to 18 k depending on options.

Put the tank on another move job today. My f550 in 4 wheel drive barely would move it, so the 8 k warn winch was used. First it snapped the cable then it burnt up the winch. That was yesterday. We had to drop 2K for another warn and left the building sitting. We got 25 years out of the warn, best winches made. If we could have found the receipt they would still warranty it. But that was long ago.

The rain set in and the yard turned to slop. Down hill in a low area. The tank didn't let me down and preformed once again.

Dang good machine. I got the straight bar grosser tracks on it and they pull. They will destroy grass in about one pass. They dug in and got this building to a concrete drive so it could be loaded.

20150417_183841.jpg

20150417_180247.jpg

Pafarmer you are right about the ride it is rough. I use my machines in the worst conditions and I specifically look for what I consider to be the strongest, meanest thing I can get. I hate computers and plastic and I want something I can put a simple wrench on it to fix it. The case electronics are all shot now and the safeties have been by passed. The tank seems to be running strong and has no issues yet. It will do just like fast dirt said, it will roll.dirt into the cab and it will spin the tracks. I normally use it throttled down just to help.from breaking wood on the buildings. I snapped 4 boards on this one.

The cat machine sounds nice, I love their heavier iron. I feel like there Skids and loaders are not designed to last like the tank was. Cat has the most money and should have made the baddest machine out there sooner. Instead they used plastic and fiber glass rollers and charge 5k to fix just one side of the under carriage. I have seen many rental tl150's with 5000 hrs plus still pounding the pavement.

Attachments

• 20150417_181818.jpg
    20150417_181818.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 759
Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Looks a little muddy GI....straight bar tracks are killer for pullin or pushin..looks like a fun .....

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Stuck truck. Tank pushes out truck and trailer.

So first thing this morning, I buried the f550 and trailer attempting to move the tank. The trailer went almost to the axles and I had to dig the dirt out from under the ramps in order to get them down, to unload the tl150. I figured the truck would be able to move once it was off, nope not even 1". The truck, welder, trailer and misc stuff weighs about 15k lbs. Being that I was alone I decided to push on the front bumper of the truck with the machine to see if it would move. The machine pushed the whole rig out without much effort. Pretty impressive.

20150418_072101.jpg

I silently wondered if this was a sign on how the day was to go. I have spent 3 1/2 days working on a job that should have taken 2 hours to do. I got called to move a building that none of the other shed movers in our area wanted to fool with.

I won't bore you with all the details but here are some pics of the job. I stuck the truck again at the drop off location. The owner had a full size Chevy truck and it looked like a drag strip out there with all the smoke from his tires smoking trying to move the rig. The building would not come off the trailer. The trailer deck is covered in rollers. 4 x 6's were bending like toothpicks and the f550 was stuck bad. After the Chevy melted about 1/2 his tires and moving the rig about 2 feet. I found a steel pole that was in the ground 30"s and in concrete. I was able to get the front 12k warn on it and it got me out. It was moving so slow that I was wondering if it was even moving since I could not see it or feel it pull.

20150418_090600.jpg

This building mashed the trailer and it flexed almost to the point the rear touched the ground.

20150418_100201.jpg

20150418_100232.jpg

20150418_100923.jpg

The last pic shows the tire burn marks and the winch hooked up. I have not had a building that I couldn't move yet but let's just say this job did not pay enough!

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Wow GI.....Looks like he really roached his tires ! Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed....nothing like a shiny new Warn winch and a 30 year old metal pole In the perfect spot to save the day...

AlldayRJ

How much does that shed move go for? To charge what you would need it seems you would be better off to knock it down and build another one

Georgia Iron

Occupation
To build that building it would cost around $4k. Depending on the move distance and troubles, the move will cost $400.00 to $1000.00. This job was done on the low end to help a young guy out. He got the bld for free and needed it to do some wood work in. The weather here made the job tuff, it is hard to move weight in mud. Rollers sink and most of the time I would not even bother going out in wet conditions. The job is scheduled for demo on Monday so we had a limited window to move it. Another company stood him up on the job twice and he found me at the last minute. You know how it goes..

Fastdirt

Yeah you got my respect just for doing that job. I know it's a mess out there right now. I had to push a dump truck out five times on Friday. This rain is unreal. Heck I had to lock my hubs two times this week just on my property. The forecast has been predicting daily rains quite often lately. We just go till it pours at this point. Some days it pours in the morning and then turns into a beautiful day and you pinch yourself for not giving it a shot. Luckily digging pools brings out the good dirt and the job appears dry. But doing grading and pads of any sort is tough right now with this rain. April showers bring May flowers... learned that in like the 3rd grade LOL. It'll be hot and dusty soon enough....but what a mess you dealt with. But the satisfaction of completing it on the drive home is a good feeling.

Glad you're loving the Tak. I've said it before but I too love it. Yes PA, it will rattle the heck out of you on hard pack. I've done several dirt shuttles down driveways to load dump trucks and it is one heck of a ride running back and forth up a concrete driveway. The good part is it will carry a massive amount of dirt for a "bobcat" and sure has great reach to get trucks loaded as quickly as possible. I love the cab interior space and roll up front door the most. Other skid steers have me feeling closed in and claustrophobic.

Like that 550 with winch, welder and trailer too GI. That rig is serious and there to get the job done.

I really appreciate the building offer. That is nice of you to offer. I just need to finish my current projects before taking on anything else or I will blow a head gasket at this point. I found a 20x50 metal building on CL in Roswell. It has 14' wall panels and about 16' to the top of the beams in the peak. It is in excellent condition. The thing is awesome. He said he'd sell it for $5k but it looks way over my head to disassemble and reassemble. If I was more motivated I would take it on but I need to finish my projects first.

If you weren't so busy It seems it would be a good investment for you. Asking 6500 but said he'd take 5000
Screenshot_2015-04-13-18-41-23.jpg

Screenshot_2015-04-13-18-41-31.jpg

Screenshot_2015-04-13-18-41-42.jpg

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Fast, that building seems like a fair price. I have almost had my fill of take downs and rebuilds. They never seem to go back up the same. At this point I charge to take them down and then charge again to rebuild it. I have been looking at making a fire proof building and one that is almost impossible to break into. So I really like poured concrete walls with rebar and I have been thinking of using 4 x 8 10 gauge welded plates as sort of like giant steel shingles. I plan to crash test the wall designs with my 953's. Concrete is here be back ltr.

Fastdirt

I hear ya on the take downs. I hate that kind of work too. That guy said his previous shop burned down. Also met another guy that had a shop burn down. You might be on to something if you make a fire proof shop and we know there are thieves out there too. Nice concrete shuttle there. Guess if yall are always 3 to 4 weeks out you're always working Saturdays. Ah the life of work.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
My tank does not swim!

Well, I am now a member of the club "TL150 sunk". Swampy ground. When you step on ground and you sink 3"s in, that is your free warning . Just don't do it. Once you jump on in and add about 10"s of dry dirt. It is not enough. And then when all rear movement stops while using the bucket too. Don't go forward and try it again. Don't think just stop.

I finally let go of the joy stick and knew I had problems when I could see water rising up around the tracks. Lucky I stopped, before trying to go back forward a second time. The hole went to about 4' deep real quick and water that was not there magically appeared and it was raining to top it off. One off those deals where you know if it sits over night, it's done. Like roasted.

What is amazing is how soft the ground can be and the machine can still go. Lucky me, I kept the cut wide enough to be able to follow with my truck. My 12,000 lb warn saved the day again, probably saved a swamped machine too.

Attachments

• 20150806_184553.jpg
    20150806_184553.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

lumberjack

A mini ex is nice when working in soft terrain! I got my TL250 stuck quite a few times on a house pad project. Got my SVL90-2 stuck 7 times in 2 hours mowing last year.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Warn to the rescue.

20150806_191201.jpg

Good thing I don't have a swing out door.

Last edited: