• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My stress is off the chain..... I hit a fiber optic!!!

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Older areas here have combined sewer/storm water. The cities are separating the two systems as the storm water overwhelms the sanitary. New construction on the older combined system combines the storm and sanitary at the curb to facilitate the separation in the future. Cam

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Trying to have a sump discharge outside in -40 doesn't go too well so they came up with that. There is a valve inside house to switch for summer outside discharge and they threaten fines if it's not switched but it's about impossible to enforce.

Yea that would be nice not to deal with, too many times they like to sink utilities stupid deep for some reason. I wouldn't be too broken up if I didn't have to deal with services 12' deep or worse.
I have to think frost for you might go 6 or 7 feet deep in a very cold winter.
I'm surprised where I live how different one year is from another. Some snowy winters we see no frost in dirt. We can dig easily year round. A "open" (no snow) winter, it freezes very deep. Deepest I've seen is 7' deep.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Our old system pre 1995 was 2" galvanized pipe buried only 2 feet deep. 100 yards from my house was the end of the system. 100 years, there was a big spray blowing water 100 feet in the air, In winter a massive tower of ice formed probably 50 feet tall, 40 feet diameter. It kept the main line from freezing.
Drops for supply to individual houses tap the top of the main. Typically they were as little as 18" deep. Homes had to run a trickle through the winter to prevent freeze. Sometimes they froze anyway.
All the drop lines were also galvanized steel, a material that lends itself to being thawed with a welder.