• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My scale work pics

iceberg210

I'm so glad there are people my age (18) and older who aren't ashamed (nor should they be) of working with machines that are on a smaller level. I still play/work with my Tonka's. I've built roads, towns, etc etc etc. I even built a ski resort in my back yard along with massive cut and fill projects that had to go into the project. Would I have rather been running larger equipment? Of course! But I'd if you can't do the big rigs, Tonka's are by far better then nothing, and certainly doing a huge project that you would need acres and acres of land to do is impossible for most of us on a full scale version so we might as well do it on a smaller level.

Its fun, and there's no harm in fun, especially when it teaches you stuff. the first time I got on a loader people were shocked how well I was able to do, and I believe that is in part due to the practice that I had had on a smaller level. I'd use (and still do) my loader for everything. Cutting, loading, even some rough grading, and I've been able to transfer some of that experience to the full scale models as well.

I firmly believe that experience with the smaller models help with the larger ones. You learn concepts like how to set up an effcient loading operation, slot dozing, how to load a truck properly, how to make cut and fills, the idea of little adjustments and small steps to accomplish large tasks, moving slowly to lessen mistakes that you have to fix latter, care of your equipment, etc etc etc. These and many more lessons can be learned with smaller scale machinery.

While I know there is no perfect substitute for the full scale machines I will leave with this real life example. I'm not trying to brag but for my age everyone always tells me I'm an incredible operator of all kinds of machinery. Even compared to other people who have the same amount of seat time I still fair better then most, and I'd have to think some of that goes back to my Tonka days. Even now when I'm trying to figure out how to stage a project I'll set up a model in Tonka and figure out the best way to do the job in miniature before taking the big rigs out. You'd be suprised in all the different places you can learn.

I'll have to get some pics up of my projects some time I think.

Thanks for the pics, great work you're doing!!!!:drinkup

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
please tell me you're 7-10 yrs old

no need to be smart, we all started in the sandbox until we had the opurtunity to get on the real thing. For me it was an old mustang skid loader and an old 580 case backhoe when i was 12. Now ive moved on to bigger machines, but it all started with the little toys. dayexomo: if you dont have any thing nice to say, dont take up space with your smart comments.:mad:

JD4020

no need to be smart, we all started in the sandbox until we had the opurtunity to get on the real thing. For me it was an old mustang skid loader and an old 580 case backhoe when i was 12. Now ive moved on to bigger machines, but it all started with the little toys. dayexomo: if you dont have any thing nice to say, dont take up space with your smart comments.:mad:

I think hes only jealous af my nice equipment. I bet he doesnt have as many nice Petes as I do!

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
i gotta ask....you guys REALLY play w/toys like this? my 5 yr old grandson is parking his toys...and wants to run the big stuff...these pics must all be in fun?

We don't have to pay for fuel!!! Well yes we do, but it is just a hotdog or 2. :p

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
And maybe the occasional greasing up with a cadbury Tempo or lunchbar. Ah, preventitive maintenance.

It like hardly rains here in Winter, so if I try any work, All I end up with is a mouth full of dust. Atleast the stuff doesn't stick, but then there is the problem of dust getting anywhere else. Plus I have dogs to contend with! oh the list never ends.

And just posing the machines would give my mom a heart attack! Well, some times she doesn't see what I do in the garden, so it might be safe to try?

I don't think so! with the 1:87 its easier, coz' they're not so detailed and less likely to get kicked away by a marauding pet.

Last edited: