• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My Perkins Sometimes has Run on Disease

Framer

Sometimes when I turn the engine off on my forklift, a 2007 manitou with a 4.4 Perkins the engine doesn't stop and instead it slows down and starts to sound like it's choking. It usually turns of in about ten to twenty seconds after. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks in advance.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If it has the little fuel solenoid that screws into the body of the injection pump, could be rubber seat of fuel solenoid pin is deteriorated/damaged, or a piece of debris lodged in seat preventing seating pin. Could be a restriction of fuel return line to tank. Could also be diode bad in alternator at switched terminal keeping a voltage signal on ignition terminal of ignition switch when key is shut off. I'd check the solenoid first. :)

emolloy

Been a manitou mechanic, your problem is a latch valve at the side of your inj pump. 16mm spanner remove valve and replace it and problem solved.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi There emolloy, Just what im looking for a manitou mechanic!!! Where you based at! Have you done much with the MLA628 LSU s?

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
My older 3208 cat motor has done that for about 35 years. It never bothered me much.

bobb

Occupation
Mechanic
Been a manitou mechanic, your problem is a latch valve at the side of your inj pump. 16mm spanner remove valve and replace it and problem solved.

you gotta be kidding. is that the one sticking out right there in front of your face when looking at it? sticks out about an inch?

barklee

what model Manitou do you have? Just curious, looking at a few of thier machines

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
what model Manitou do you have? Just curious, looking at a few of thier machines

barklee, we're running 2 manitou M50-4x4's in the fleet. Operators love them, mechanics hate them. One has about 6000 hours, the other 1500 hours. No major breakdowns, they eat steer tires (we run on pavement 80% of the time) a few little electrical bugs. Any problems we have had are centered around the Perkins engine and accessories, not really the manitou.

Owner Operator

Occupation
Owner / Operator I.U.O.E. 139
I own & operate a 2002 Manitou MLT -526 Turbo compact... 6000 lb. cap. 14,000 empty ..6'6'' wide....had it since new..now 1,400 hours total...its been a very good machine for me...hope to find other Manitou owners @ this site.