• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My OWN Fault

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
In Alabama 65 and older is exempt from paying property taxes. Any other states the same?

In California, the rate you are valued on property tax cannot increase over a certain amount, so senior citizens don't get their property taxed away from them if the county assessor decides the property is worth more.

This does not change the fact that property taxes anywhere are basically everyone being forced to rent their property from the government, but that is a discussion for another day.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
How does that work on the valuation of the property? So when you turn a certain age whatever the gov't says your house is worth at that time stays that way?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
How does that work on the valuation of the property? So when you turn a certain age whatever the gov't says your house is worth at that time stays that way?

As far as I know, age is no factor, it just starts whenever you buy it. So it incentivizes people not to move around but stay in one place.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Up here the break is paying the school portion of the property tax. Basically seniors living at poverty income can apply for relief from that portion of the payment. The property is still valued the same way as all the rest.
I believe in California that the values are only changed when they are sold. If you paid fifty thousand for your house in 1969 and it is now worth five hundred thousand, you only pay on fifty thousand. The purchaser will be assessed at the purchase price they paid.

John C.

Occupation
Mine was around $800 in 1987 and now it is over $5,000 and they upped the assessment this year by $75,000.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Man you all are taking a beating where here a 1800sf bungalow with a 1400sf workshop on 9a(Financed) is under $3500 Real Estate tax

John C.

Occupation
Sounds like Mo. might be a place to retire to. I wonder if it would be as nice a Costa Rico. Maybe not as many poisonous snakes and bugs?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
ANOTHER Bad Day. Started off Rain at 1 am, not just sprinkles, thunder showers, started work at 1/4 to 6 clay haul Again. Get to stockpile and as expected a Mud Mire, load up first load and head out, ended up with 20t on wet and stick to the bed sides stuff, shoveled out excess stickage. Second load better as the rain moved off and the earlier rain was not as deep with the platform doing somewhat well, then the boss added the New Kid, we did 19t and 22.5 t each that load, third load I found a load of wet stuff, 23t, kid got 19.5 and we did the turn, just about to town ALL those damned alarms yet again. DPF loaded AGAIN, tech tried a regen, not good, next up extended regen(4Hr) and I clocked out 1:30pm, left new kid to make one more load then pack the crawler up for the weekend.

Phone rang off the wall for the boss while we awaited the first regen, Monday aligned with sand to Concrete co and brown rock screenings back to a local client, both me and the newbie. Needs 8-10 loads where may get 4 first day.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Rain again today, work has slowed SIGNIFICANTLY. Been hauling sand to Concrete suppliers from his brother's Sand Plant along the MO River. Less than $2/ton is what it goes for, we move around 150-200t a day among the trucks and tractor trailers. Costs more to haul than actual cost, the Concrete plants used to haul their own but worker shortage has locked that down for us. Cement companies are slowing or stopping Clay orders, plants need repairs and to do so need to shut down a period of time. Full Tub or frame style trailer drivers get paid by mile, will knock the hell out of their pay a week or two. Grain hauls begin around second week of November as contracts are let by the major elevator companies and farms. Just a month to go.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
$2 a ton? That's almost impossible to dig and load it at that price.

Just priced concrete sand for backfill around an oil/water separator at a large truck stop and was quoted $14.50 a ton plus $4.00 a ton delivery which is the same cost as 1.5" minus (DGB) delivered. $18.50 a ton is pretty cheap here.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sand plant runs a dredge here and moves it to Jefferson City alternately to load the sand plant there. Takes about a week to bank set close to a couple thousand ton. Currently $2.10/t

The Sand Plant at Old Monroe has been there seemingly forever, large river deposit initially mined as a scraped hole until ground water filled then converted to water jet dredges. Bank seines and sieves to separate to grades a wash plant to remove dirt. Can bank a million tons a month easily.
Some of the equipment dates back fifty years or more. Common Sand is $2.35/t
Companies drive as far as sixty miles for the Clean Sand as MO river sand has Lignite coal remnants in it. $3.55/t for washed high grade.
Capital sand at Washington MO has a screen and wash system close to fifty years old for mason grade sand and ‘Special’ grade MO river concrete sand they sell wholesale at $3.80/t

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The less than $2 ton is for those using greater than 200t a week. Discount for volume. One redi mix shop is still using some 200-400t sand per day on big days and 100t a day as a general rule.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Old contact of mine, now in his mid 70s called last night a little miffed and in search of help, told me took several calls to get a phone number to get hold of me wondering if I could help or knew of anyone else. He has used a service for servicing their trucks and HE for the last couple Decades ran by a one time 'Friend' of mine and the guy has gone to receivership. The 'Friend' stole a idea I was working up as to a general service tech company , oil changes, lubes, repair minor lighting or leaks, up to adjusting clutches or brakes, check tire pressures and for flats(Referred to someone else), make recommend lists for actual Repair technicians to perform, stay OUT of deep parts investment/tools investment/dedicated long time in one spot jobs. He never really gained profitability, had a dozen trucks on routes where his overhead was a steadily advancing target just ahead of his profit line margin. In the long run he had failed to Listen in my idea bouncing ramblings of pitfalls and could not lay hands on the notes I made, watched him make the mistakes I HAD noted down as problematic potentials he had not listened to as I had spoken of them.

Long Story Longer and MORE Boring, he set up even using the company name I had considered as to a On-Site Service, was in business less than three weeks of a late night run through of my last considered ideas where he quit to take this on 100% in 1989. Instead of buying a or a couple used Service oriented rigs at less than 1/4 the money he invested, he bought THREE right off the bat NEW trucks and had NEW service bodies with NEW Equipment under the covers. The term Go Big or Go Home came to my mind of that time, where he did Not spare a dime, bank loan and all. At first money was OK, he even called once to grind it in he had opened under the base idea I had come up with then we parted ways. My intent was to as noted, buy USED service equipment from fleet duty operations in HE service, a little TLC, upgrade and repairs that myself or a couple well defined mechanics I knew could take on as a side load to the service work, AVOID the Bank to as much as possible until had some cash flow then start expansion. I already had materials contacts to reduce expenses from buying under a new domain contract as he began with, already had a volume of tooling as had the guys I had considered as asking to join up on a percentage base system as sub-contractors (LOWER initial overhead) and then as opened new doors adding some financially expand consolation prize benefits to the original staff and present a draw for next hires. He missed those side bar notes, hired Low Ball could not be less value Newbies, a lot of Liability expenses in first years due to employee damage to missed details that dumped oils or filters were incorrect and failed, etc etc etc. He also missed my notes as to family strain where around the 10th or so year, his wife of some 15 years left him taking house, cars, loads of cash with her, she was HIS High Maintenance in the over all picture!!

Well his service is defunct, owes a balance sheet value about half again higher than his entire marketable inventory is worth, owes a recycling company a ton for waste fluids removal disposal, owes a dealership for trucks that have been repo'd and money to a body installer/outfitter he had laid a string to figuring on a Next Loan along with his own trucks tire and materials invoices unpaid, was so deep in hock will possibly not survive as a street urchin. Makes me reflect on Vetech's current employ option with a narrower view!! He was smart enough to open under a LLC, HOWEVER, in the last decade the idiot went to signature PERSONAL Notes to attempt crutching a already failing business, he has lost even his ass now per my old contact friend, where has disappeared from the radar, no one knows where he is currently.

Myself, I have NO INTENTION as this age and wear condition to EVEN Consider that type service as a option for retirement, leaving it to the Next gen people that think they will Rule The World. I had no options for the old contact to call, suggested he look to others in his contact files as to competition where they get their work performed, he already had where two are in same bed as he in using this guy's service and the three may be at that point is time to retire ALL of the chaos. Pretty Sad in the general jist of things today.