• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My New Trailer

maxamillion67

Occupation
I am scruber attendant at a coal fired power plant
Hear is my new trailer (new to me), it is a 1998 Donahue 24 foot with pop-up dovetail and two 7000 pound axles. I am going to use it to haul hay and my skid steer. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• trailer picture 025.jpg
    trailer picture 025.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3,355
  • trailer picture 030.jpg
    trailer picture 030.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 3,374
  • trailer picture 027.jpg
    trailer picture 027.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,381

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Nice trailer but it looks like your 2 5/16 ball is on the wrong side of the rear axle. We usually set up our balls 4-6" in front of the axle to transfer weight to the front.

maxamillion67

Occupation
I have the reese goose hitch, which has the rails so you can take it out and put in a fifth wheel hitch to pull fifth wheel camper. On the short box pick-up they reconmend it to be two inches behind the rear axles. If you pull a camper you have the clearance, and do not take out the back window when backing and making sharp turns. If it was just a 2 5/16 ball you could mount it ahead futher.

maxamillion67

Occupation
Not sure what that dozer weighs but If I had to guess I would say 15000 pounds. The skid steer in the first photos weigh about 7500 pounds.

maxamillion67

Occupation
It cost $20.00 a year to license, $5.00 to transfer title and register it in my name and 5% taxes for the purchase price.

gunite

Ke it off.O Nice trailer. Just wondering is it ok to leave equipment stored on a trailer for any length of time. I'm thinking its better to a

Mike.580ck

i used to work at a Trailer Hitch manufacturer in Chanute Ks, it was called Pop Up , we built hitch adapters for short bed pickups they replaced the pipe going inside and it had an extension welded on it , we made different lengths i believe six and twelve inches , but i also always like the ball a few inches in front of the axle thats the way it is in my short bed , i always feel better about hauling more weight with a gooseneck than a bumper pull anyways, i have a half ton four wheel drive and i haul my 13'000 pound backhoe with it on a gooseneck of course lol. nice trailer you have

busy dad

Occupation
Transportation
Having the ball forward certainly helps keep the front axle loaded properly..I have often seen short box pick ups with not enough weight up front , despite having a gooseneck trailer.. Makes for a dangerous handling combination.