• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My new old tool

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If that is one of those that worked on a piece of tape, I'd say it wasn't worth carrying it in the truck. They worked nice the first time and maybe the second. About the third time the readings were all over and the tape was gone from the balancer cause it wouldn't stick. Got where we would just take a file, scrape some paint and brighten up the metal with some file marks. I went to the injector line unit by Standyne and it worked real well until the Japanese engines got here. Then the pickups wouldn't work on the injector lines. I still have that thing somewhere. Monitor panels and software made all those things obsolete.

Tyler d4c

If that is one of those that worked on a piece of tape, I'd say it wasn't worth carrying it in the truck. They worked nice the first time and maybe the second. About the third time the readings were all over and the tape was gone from the balancer cause it wouldn't stick. Got where we would just take a file, scrape some paint and brighten up the metal with some file marks. I went to the injector line unit by Standyne and it worked real well until the Japanese engines got here. Then the pickups wouldn't work on the injector lines. I still have that thing somewhere. Monitor panels and software made all those things obsolete.
It is as long as it works one time every couple years all will be good if not it will be history.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
We had a different make of one of those that worked pretty good and the tape that came with it stuck good if you washed the balancer with starting fluid first. Went back a year or so latter and once cleaned off it worked.

We also had one of the Cat heat sensing guns. Forget the price but seems like it was several hundred dollars. Now I think the one I bought for use around the house was something like $25.00 or maybe less.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
John,
That old Stanadyne inductive Tech-Tach in working order is highly desirable to the DB26.2/6.5/6.9/7.3 idi fan bois who like to squeeze an extra 1.7 horsepower from their rattling treasures. First time the clamp gets dropped, it’s done for.

I’m not aware of a modern equivalent. Does anyone know?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I can see the ad that Tyler spotted now. "For sale, Cat 1U6602 Photo-Tach unit. As new, in original box. Only used once" (for good reason) LOL

John C.

Occupation
The Stanadyne worked great on old Cat engines. Was pretty poor on Isuzu, Komatsu and Mitsubishi. I still have the tool and it works great on gas engines with a distributor.

JD955SC

Modern phototachs work well and I semi frequently use one. Still a few procedures in the book and applications where it gets used despite the modern technology.

never saw a Cat stand-alone one, we have some multitach IIs in the toolroom that are junk basically.

John C.

Occupation
The ultimate unit that I used when I was in the military was a strobe with a calibrated dial that changed the frequency of the light flash. Make a mark of the rotating thing, start it turning at what ever speed and then turn on the strobe, adjust the dial so that the mark would appear to stop in one place and that was it.

It was military so probably pretty expensive, but it always worked.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I tried a cell phone app that did the flash in time to stop a shaft and get RPM. It worked OK at slow speeds, but you had to pay for the real version. Not sure if the phone could have done it for real or not.

JD955SC

I tried a cell phone app that did the flash in time to stop a shaft and get RPM. It worked OK at slow speeds, but you had to pay for the real version. Not sure if the phone could have done it for real or not.

you have to Match the exact speed to work and it’s not really feasible at the high speeds.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
EA28871B-D5A8-4252-9233-84C39A2C3D66.jpeg Talk about old school tachometer. I was sitting through a Chrysler Dealer Tech course on locating vibrations and rattles and the Instructor handed these out.
This is a Sinometer. Have you guys seen these?

I played around with it a little and it’s fairly accurate 150+or- rpm. With a little practice, probably could improve accuracy. What a cool gadget.