• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My new 9N

Buickspec6231

I recently bought an old 1941 Ford 9N with a Dearborn plow on it. $1500 on auction. She's showing signs of her age, but it doesn't look molested. Still a 6 volt setup. Cold started yesterday after I got it home with no problem. 3pt hitch works smoothly, and all the grease fittings took grease. I'm just going to use it around my property to brush hog a few trails and pull some stones out of the woods using a car hood as a sled. I hope when I get to 77 years old I work a quarter as well as this tractor seems to. Now my "collection" is a 1985-ish MF 50H and this Ford 9N. Neither are pretty, but either am I. I'm looking for a nice little 4ft brush hog and a York rake. I'm going to put an overrun coupler on it for when I do brush hog. IMG_20180407_170102560.jpg IMG_20180407_170032040.jpg IMG_20180407_170052689.jpg IMG_20180407_165521187.jpg

td25c

Nice find !

Looks like she has been taken care of well . Handy item .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
A friend of mine has one just like that with the 3 bar radiator guard, been in his family since it was new. He has two huge John Deere track typ tractors for field work an a 30' flail mower, but the little Ford with a 5' mower does the fencelines and corners. His medium tractor is a Farmall Super M.

Buickspec6231

Messed around with it a little today. Determined that the generator doesn't seem to be charging properly. I'm not sure yet if it's a generator issue or voltage regulator issue. I've been going through some of the Ol' Man's Motor Manuals and cruising some other websites focused on the N-series tractors for info. If the generator is to blame, I'll be doing a 12 volt conversion and doing away with a generator and 6 volt positive ground. If I find a simple fix, we shall just leave it be. I ran out of motivation as the darkness and below freezing temperatures moved back in.

Buickspec6231

Well, I did some more testing. Everything was pointing towards the regulator. While full fielding the generator I was able to get the correct charge out of the it. Pulled the regulator off and found a wire melted inside and a set of the contacts burned up. I can't get my phone to cooperate to upload the pictures right now.

Mother Deuce

I recently bought an old 1941 Ford 9N with a Dearborn plow on it. $1500 on auction. She's showing signs of her age, but it doesn't look molested. Still a 6 volt setup. Cold started yesterday after I got it home with no problem. 3pt hitch works smoothly, and all the grease fittings took grease. I'm just going to use it around my property to brush hog a few trails and pull some stones out of the woods using a car hood as a sled. I hope when I get to 77 years old I work a quarter as well as this tractor seems to. Now my "collection" is a 1985-ish MF 50H and this Ford 9N. Neither are pretty, but either am I. I'm looking for a nice little 4ft brush hog and a York rake. I'm going to put an overrun coupler on it for when I do brush hog. View attachment 179685 View attachment 179686 View attachment 179687 View attachment 179688
Can we see the trucks out behind your boat? Please :)

Buickspec6231

Can we see the trucks out behind your boat? Please :)

Good eye there Mother Deuce.

I'll get some pictures of the trucks whenever Mother Nature stops being an insulting word. Both trucks are Mack BX's. One is a 1936 with a gas job, the other is a 1937 with a factory installed and original Cummins diesel (Very unique for the age). The trucks belong to my Dad. The diesel truck last ran about 4 years ago, he drove it to that spot where it sits now. Hasn't been run since because the low pressure pump took a crap and getting the pump repaired is proving to be an issue due to it being a single disc injection pump and not your standard PT pump. He has a few other trucks on the property that I'll post up in a thread soon too.