• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My Michigan 125B

Ryan151

That is around the same consumption as our 950H. An L90 runs about 2.2, that's quite a bit less a year for a larger machine than a 55, especially running 6 or 7 of them. Unless they give fuel away where you buy it. I'm not dissing the quality of older machines, and while I am obviously a big fan of Volvo, I do believe I said I am pretty disenchanted with the latest production run, and I also stated quality of workmanship in all machines is at an all time low. However, I don't care how well a machine is built, they all cost money because they wear. I am sad to see Volvo's difficulty with the Regen systems as we have not spent as much on repairs on 6 L90Fs as we have on 2 950 cats. I believe when repair costs start to build, get rid of machine or truck or whatever.
A lot of factors play into fuel consumtion. I promise you I run my 55b harder than most people run a loader. I'm feeding my screen plant with it and literally non stop foot on the floor

Ryan151

I'm interested in buying your machine Ryan but there are a couple of matters that worry me: 1) I'm currently low on cash at the time being, and 2) Shipping it overseas might be a risk, unless I want to transport it to Canada. This is why... however we can exchange our contact numbers so that when things get sorted out and if I'm the lucky owner, I'll buy it. How does that sound?
That sounds good. Have you got a Facebook? I'm on the clark Michigan group on there.

Rolitto

I used to have an account on Facebook long time ago but I'm not much into social networking so I shut it down. But we could contact each others by phone (438)228-0465 and e-mail (rolitto@live.com).

Rolitto

When I was a kid, I didn't recognize what were the models or series on the Michigan tractor shovels. But I do remember hearing pretty well that buzzing sound on SOME Michigan tractor shovels (not all), so does anyone know what exactly is it?

Note: I know the engine is a Detroit Diesel 6V-71N and my Michigan 125B has the same engine but doesn't emit that buzzing sound (like electricity).

Ryan151

When I was a kid, I didn't recognize what were the models or series on the Michigan tractor shovels. But I do remember hearing pretty well that buzzing sound on SOME Michigan tractor shovels (not all), so does anyone know what exactly is it?

Note: I know the engine is a Detroit Diesel 6V-71N and my Michigan 125B has the same engine but doesn't emit that buzzing sound (like electricity).

That sounds like air getting released.

Rolitto

Ryan, I'd like to get your contact numbers please. If you'd like, you can send them privately to my cell phone. ;)

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Last years snow pushers at work had a big Michigan, twin chrome stacks and v8 detroit, sounded awesome!

I think that 'buzzing' sound is that the air compressor is stuck on and its the relief valve on the air tank blowing off some pressure.

Last edited:

Ryan151

Last years snow pushers at work had a big Michigan, twin chrome stacks and v8 detroit, sounded awesome!

I think that 'buzzing' sound is that the air compressor is stuck on and its the relief valve on the air tank blowing off some pressure.
Thats what I was thinking too

Rolitto

You may think I'm crazy but I actually like that buzzing sound idea and was thinking if there was a way to make my machine emit it because I don't know how lol.

Thinking of it twice, I asked myself: if that relief valve is blowing off the excess of compressed air, then by repeatedly doing it MANY TIMES, doesn't it end up fully emptying the air compressor tank?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You may think I'm crazy but I actually like that buzzing sound idea and was thinking if there was a way to make my machine emit it because I don't know how lol.

Thinking of it twice, I asked myself: if that relief valve is blowing off the excess of compressed air, then by repeatedly doing it MANY TIMES, doesn't it end up fully emptying the air compressor tank?
Not sure about this buzzing, is it in the video of the loader running? I did not hear it.

But to answer the question about emptying the air tank, no it would not or at least not until the valve was worn out from over use! It is a simple valve that opens when pressure exceeds a set point and when pressure drops back down the spring can overcome the air pressure and force the valve closed. But as this valve is not designed to operate full time the seat or the spring will soon wear out and then you will loose all pressure.

So if in fact it was the safety relief valve making this noise you really need to check the air governor and unloader valves in the compressor!

Ryan151

Yes not only that but it's really hard on your air compressor because it's likely getting up to around 200 psi lol

Rolitto

Yes Kshansen, it's in the video if you watch it. There are also other Michigans on YouTube that had that sound too.