• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first backhoe - 580B

CaptDave

Occupation
Captain Toronto Fire Services
Well I tried to put the cylinder head on yesterday, it keeps catching on the water jacket gasket. I sure don't want to remove the timing cover to get it on.
Replaced a bunch of hydraulic hose. Maybe later today the head will go on. I will take my daughter to help make sure I miss the gasket. It is hard to do standing on the frame with my ass in the air not being able to see.
Tressler it sounds like you are almost done.

tresslers

I just need to get the time to finish. My first job would be to rebuild the three cylinders on the backhoe. The two on the hoe and the one on the dipper.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
CaptDave, I had a 530 once and I remember that water jacket gasket. Seems to me I drove a couple of screwdrivers:eek: in between the block and that casting to spread it slightly. A few thou is enough, to slide that gasket in from the side and then use a small tapered punch to line up the holes. I did this after the head was sitting down on the dowels. If you use gasket sealer it adds a little drag. Phil:)

CaptDave

Occupation
Thanks Phil. I am going to try one more time. I have already used sealant to hold the gasket in place. Have to buy another one and give your way a shot.
Dave

crs36

Occupation
Machinist
Really interesting thread, new member, new old backhoe owner, learning alot. Look's like alot of support for question's. I'll keep lurking until I can post a thread with my question's. But learning a bit through these threads.

tresslers

Phil,
Is there some special type of coolant the these engines require? I heard something about there is an addititive that prevent cavitation on the cylinder walls. do you know what i am talking about?

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I've seen cavitation damage, worse on some engines that others. I believe it is caused by vibration of the liner, but electrolysis can cause it too I think. I'm not sure if the coolant type makes a difference. I use the green stuff, and find that usually the liner will live it's life out before the hole(s) get to it. Something like prostrate cancer:p. I recall that an oxygen scavenger( probably used in outdoor wood furnaces, or water boilers) helped this problem but I'm not sure.I copied this info from some saved text I have on the topic. Phil

" Best way to prevent it taking out wet sleeves: Make sure the engine is properly grounded to the frame. Regular maintenance of the coolant system, change the coolant around every 3 years, checking for ph, additives to maintain the protective coatings around the sleeves."

Last edited:

CaptDave

Occupation
Well I got the head on. While torqueing the last bolt would'nt you know it, it stripped the threads out of the block. After I was done cursing, almost crying, I had a couple beers put the tools away and went home. Damn I hate working in a field.
Found a product called FullTorque which is a fancier stronger HeliCoil that is supposed to work really well. The Ontario distributor is only 3 hours away so a road trip is in order this week.
I will keep you posted how this turns out.

rafasimoes

Occupation
Student...(Computers)
Hi...
Hello to all...this is my very first reply i just wana say:
1st sorry my bad english...:eek:
2nd great forum...
3rd great thread...

Great work... keep going...

and finnaly, tresslers good job.... can you post new pics of your brand new old "ride"...:notworthy

Thanks

Rafael

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums rafasimoes! :drinkup

RFrank

I just got my first hoe too, it's a 580b. I'll be interested in following your progress with yours. That's a real bummer with the head bolt. Something like that can just push you over the edge..just gotta walk away and come back later.

CaptDave

Occupation
Yes it sure does. I bought a kit called Full Torque but don't have the room to enlarge the hole. Bought some Devcon Titanium putty to try. My only setback now is it has rained everyday since. I don't want to uncover the old girl and let the rain was some of the rust off.
Son is getting married in two weeks so she has to wait her turn.

Blue05

This thread is perfect, i'm looking at a 76 580B Construction king right now, it is in really decent shape with 6000 hours on it. I'll post some pics of it later. Does anyone know the weight of the 580B?

tresslers

The weight of the machine depends on what it is equipped with. Gas or diesel? Shuttle or dry clutch or hydrostatic. Full cab or open rops.

CaptDave

Occupation
Phil
It was the centre rear one. Sorry I haven't been around for a bit, busy at work and my son got married. Had a great wedding in St. Marten MB about 3 hours north of Winnipeg in the middle of nowhere. If you miss the gas station the next on is 5 1/2 hours away. I won't be working on the machine for a bit. Bear hunting this week and off to cut my Uncles winter supply of firewood. He put his 45,000 litre tanker in the ditch and has a hard time moving around.
I will keep you posted on my progress. So much for having it done by June, good thing I didn't say what year.

Brenainn

Occupation
Bricklayer
Hey Folks, wanted to say Hi!

I'm looking at a Case 680 backhoe to work around the house and fix the driveway. It runs pretty good :drinkup It does not have very good brakes :Banghead and I live on a rocky hillside. The hoe drops down as well while running maybe an 1" every couple minutes. Its banged up and shows its age but looks like I could do some roadwork with her. I'll throw up a pic if possible.

I'd like to thank all the contributers to this thread as I feel ive learned something about Case in a short time here, thanks alot!