• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first backhoe - 580B

CaptDave

Occupation
Captain Toronto Fire Services
I finally got the head off. It doesnt' look to bad, no scoring on the cylinder walls. Sure glad my daughter came with me or it would still be on. Looking for a machine shop to test it. I took it to one and they wanted $700.00 to see if it was warped. No pics, was so happy to finally get the head off we came straight home after getting stuck in the mud, twice. Man I can't wait for all the frost to come out. Maybe I shouldn't have taken off the snow tires.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
If the head gasket shows no signs of leakage around the 'fire ring', then that's a good sign. Should be shiny all around where it contacts the liner flange, any black areas indicates leakage. Even a good straightedge can be used to check across the head for warping. Are you sure your 430 doesn't have the older injectors that use 2 nuts to hold them down? If it has the pencil injectors, the head may have been updated. $700 seems like a valve grind/magnaflux job and I would think that would include 8 new valves for that price. Phil:)

CaptDave

Occupation
Phil
The injectors are held in with two 9/16 nuts. My buddy is a fire dept mechanic and he is taking it to their machine shop. I was going to use a straight edge, Earl said the shop doesnt charge much for their personal stuff.
Now to find a local guy to check the injectors.
Sure wish I new more about diesels.

Phil

Occupation
Okay, I was thinking you had the pencil type which can be a real pain to get out. The older type are great, I had a set on my Ford and I got nozzles for about $15 each, screwed them on and they worked like new. I got one of those homemade bottle jack testers:p. How does your head gasket look? Is she getting a new thermostat? I've been using the Napa 33008S. Phil:)

CaptDave

Occupation
Hard to say about the head gasket, it came out in pieces. Yes a new thermostat from Case. Harper Detroit is checking the head for me, as a courtesy. Steve's Diesel in Bowmanville has the injectors.
What is a bottle jack testor? I am sure once this is back together I shouldn't have to take the injectors out. I am using the machine on some property I have. Putting in a culvert and raking the driveway must have been too small a job for the local guys as they never showed up.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Yep!

Thanks for the welcome! What a wealth of information you have here. I'm getting to the point that I don't buy anything until I look to see if there's a forum for it. :notworthy

I agree, good research helps for anything!

tresslers

Update on the list

Fix the seal and bushing in the starter got the parts
Fix the electrical system have most of the parts
Fix the intake heater got the parts
Fix the tachometer got the parts
Fix the brakes fixed
Fix the linkages, brakes and diff lock fixed
Replace the filters Oil, Hydraulic done
Replace the filters Air, Transmission, P fuel, S fuel, Power steering Got the parts
Replace pins got most of the parts
Reroute hoses no progress
Replace rear tires done
Replace lugs on the front tires done
Fix seals on two cylinders the dipper and the boom No progress

Most of the work is electrical and filters so that shouldn't be too bad it is just the time to get the work done,

I still have hydraulic work to do . I might take the cylinder to a hydraulic shop and have them repack it. Does this sound like a good idea?

bear

Occupation
Looking good!

Looks like you're bout on the home stretch there tresslers. Hope it goes well. I got an old for B/H I'm trying to get sorted out and it's a booger. Good luck hope to hear more.

CaptDave

Occupation
I got the cylinder head back yesterday. I have all the gaskets, now I need a few nice days to put it all together. I bought new hoses for the outriggers, took in an old one and said I needed 4 just like this one. It wasn't until I got home a few days later and realized one fitting on each of them is wrong. Always something.

bear

Occupation
I got the cylinder head back yesterday... I needed 4 just like this one. It wasn't until I got home a few days later and realized one fitting on each of them is wrong. Always something.

Glad it's coming together Captdave. I hate it when the parts guy does that seems like it happens more and more these days. Thanks for the update, I enjoy seeing and reading about your progress.

cow_rancher

580b

You'll love your 580B, I bought one 15 years ago, just bought a 555 dozer, leaking gas tank, needs pin in blade, already bought for less than $200, thing cost 4,500

Rancher

tresslers

I got around to working on the starter this last weekend. I found out why it leaked oil. The starter that is currently on the machine was put on from a dry clutch machine. It does not have the provisions for oil seals like the power shuttle one does.

So the best i could do was to clean it up and put it back on.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I got most of the electrical repaired, the tachometer, and the intake heater. So the next thing is for the hydraulic cylinder repair. I am going to drop them off at a hydraulic shop and tell them to call when finished.
That ony leaves the pins to fight with.

Seems like dry ice is the best way to install them.

ok I am out.

Phil

Occupation
A good starter shop should be able to install a seal for you. Not sure if your armature is compatible for that but I know they change the round plate and install one with a seal in it. Phil

highpockets

I have been reading this thread and I am sure that you guys can answer my questions.I am a member of a couple or car forums,but this is my first equipment forum.I tried to do the 3 post thing so as to start a new post and not sidetrack this one.I will be making a new post when I am permitted.I can work on cars,but I don't know alot about how some of the things work on equipment.I just don't have any experience with it.I can do the work whenever you guys that have worked on these things and know all the ins and outs get me lined out.Thanks in advance for all the questions I am going to have.

Phil

Occupation
Welcome to the forum highpockets:). 580B's are pretty popular here; we will try and answer your questions. Phil:canada

tresslers

Update on the list, It's been a little while since my last post and I have gotten a few things accomplished since then.

Fix the seal and bushing in the starter can't fix It's the wrong starter for the machine, not going to be a simple fix. I need to get a wet starter.

Fix the electrical system done
Fix the intake heater done
Fix the tachometer done
Fix the brakes done
Fix the linkages, brakes and diff lock done
Replace the filters Oil, Hydraulic done
Replace the filters Air, Transmission, P fuel, S fuel, Power steering done
Replace pins / bushings got all of the parts
Reroute hoses started
Replace rear tires done
Replace lugs on the front tires done
Fix seals on two cylinders the dipper and the boom got the tools I need to get them apart to see what type of a kit I need.