• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first backhoe - 580B

CaptDave

Occupation
Captain Toronto Fire Services
pics

Well lets see if this works. Maybe later, it was too big. Geez never heard that before.

Last edited:

tresslers

I got the brake parts and the service manual. Now just to get the time to put it all together. I will post again when it is completed.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Keep trying CaptDave. Does it look like this one? Phil:canada

Attachments

• 430.JPG
    430.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 698
  • 430 2.JPG
    430 2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 688

yasmar

I'll take this opportunity to make my first post. I recently purchased my first hoe also...also a 580BCK.

CaptDave

Occupation
Phil. That's the one, except yours has nicer tires. I spent 8 hours outside this week sraping 40 years worth of crap off it. Glad it stayed below freezing to keep the mud down.
I have a mobile powerwash coming to blast it before I take the head off. Sure would be nice if there was water in the barn though. Looking forward to it firing up.

CaptDave

Occupation
re-sizing pics

We have a photo buff guy at work, I will ask his help tonight. Have another 12 hours to go so might as well try. :Banghead

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums yasmar! :drinkup

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Welcome Yasmar to the forum:drinkup

CaptDave, I do not have good computer skills but my son showed me how to crop it in Paint, especially the width of the picture, and it works for me. Phil

yasmar

Thanks for the welcome! What a wealth of information you have here. I'm getting to the point that I don't buy anything until I look to see if there's a forum for it. :notworthy

tresslers

Can someone tell be the best and safest way to take a model 35 backhoe off of a 580b. I am trying to replace the cross bar on my 580b and the rod can not travel far enough to clear the bottom support for the backhoe. I see there is a bolt at the front of the support and looks like 2 or four at the axle.

I was thinking about dropping the hoe on the ground, stretching it out as far as i could and then jacking it up while i remove the right support.

Is this correct. I only need to remove one or will that cause problems.
let me know what you guys think
thanks

tresslers

I found the proper instructions fro removing the backhoe from the machine. I am going to take this route and then remove the support to get the brake rod out.
Removing the backhoe looks like it won't be too bad of a job.
I will let you know how it goes.

tresslers

I got the backhoe off the machine. It was pretty easy. I have to get the lower support bracket off to get the cross shaft off of the machine. I see how the frame bolts to the rear axle, and the lower support bolts to the rear axle with 4 bolts and one in the front. I can't get the top right bolt out of the housing, the one that goes in the ROPS, closest to the tire. I got the nut off but the bolt won't budge. i have the bottom two bolts out.

After I get the lower support off then I can get the brake cross shaft off and put the brake system together, the lower supports and then the backhoe.
then that project is done.

Then the list goes on from there.

Right now i am looking for a used tire and wheel also for the rear of the machine.

tresslers

I wanted to edit my last post but I can't find that for some reason.
Just a list to add

So right now the list to do is
Fix the seal and bushing in the starter got the parts
Fix the electrical system have most of the parts
Fix the intake heater got the parts
Fix the tachometer got the parts
Fix the brakes working on it
Fix the linkages, brakes and diff lock working on it
Replace the filters Oil, Air, Hydraulic, Transmission, P fuel, S fuel, Power steering Got most of the parts
Replace pins got most of the parts
Reroute hoses no progress
Replace rear tires Need rear 17.5l-24 tire and wheel
Replace lugs on the front tires done
Fix seals on two cylinders the dipper and the boom No progress

Just adding some color and updates on the progress. The red items are the ones that i haven't address yet.
Wengers has a wheel, but no tires.

Elast

Occupation
Heavy Equipment/Forestry Service Manager
I wanted to edit my last post but I can't find that for some reason.
Just a list to add

So right now the list to do is
Fix the seal and bushing in the starter got the parts
Fix the electrical system have most of the parts
Fix the intake heater got the parts
Fix the tachometer got the parts
Fix the brakes working on it
Fix the linkages, brakes and diff lock working on it
Replace the filters Oil, Air, Hydraulic, Transmission, P fuel, S fuel, Power steering Got most of the parts
Replace pins got most of the parts
Reroute hoses no progress
Replace rear tires Need rear 17.5l-24 tire and wheel
Replace lugs on the front tires done
Fix seals on two cylinders the dipper and the boom No progress

Just adding some color and updates on the progress. The red items are the ones that i haven't address yet.
Wengers has a wheel, but no tires.

Cool Post, I like what you are doing here. Let me know if you get stuck on anything.

Elast:)

tresslers

Thanks,
Phil has been a great help.
I had to take alot apart to replace the brake cross shaft. I can see why it was ever done before. I am going to replace the oil seals on both sides and also the seals and bushing on the center shaft for the differential lock on the right side. I really don't want brake problems in the future.

Elast

Occupation
Heavy Equipment/Forestry Service Manager
Thanks,
Phil has been a great help.
I had to take alot apart to replace the brake cross shaft. I can see why it was ever done before. I am going to replace the oil seals on both sides and also the seals and bushing on the center shaft for the differential lock on the right side. I really don't want brake problems in the future.

You need special tools to do as you are suggesting with the seals but........I have a little trick for you:

1: Remove the diffside plates to remove and install the new seals
2: Do one side at a time so the shaft is supported and the diff assy is not flopping around potentially damaging the new seals.
3: Once you have installed the new seals and are ready to put plate back on, wrap black electrical tape around splines and groove in side gear. This will stop seal lip from being caught and flipped out(resulting in oil on the brakes) Start wrapping the tape from the inside out, make sure it is wrapped tight and work your way out to fully cover the splines
4: Grease seal lip and tape
5: Carefully slide the side plate into position and install countersunk screw. Install 4 temporary bolts (or nuts and washers if applicable) where bolts for brake housing go to hold plate in position untill such time that the brakes are reinstalled.
6: Remove tape, plate is installed and seal is not damaged. I have used this trick many times without fail on the road.

The diff lock seals are a little trickier and can be installed using a 1/2 drive deep socket. If you have two(2) seals be carefull putting the second one in as you can install it too deep and damage the first one. If you take your time and use lots of heavy grease on the splines of carrier shaft you can install side gear onto shaft witout damaging seals. FYI, there is a shim between the diff side gear and the diff carrier. Do not lose or damage this. Make sure it is reinstalled upon assembly.

Hope this helps...........Elast:)