• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My CAT 426 Project

jetranger

We have a 1988 Cat 426 out here in NV. It only had the right side door and both windows when we got it. We took all the glass out and I don't really have any use for the door or window frames. If you're interested. let me know.

edgephoto

Spent the day painting parts of the cab. I had primed the rusty areas last week and wanted to get color on the so it doesn't look like a spotted animal. I wanted to get more done but it was crazy hot and humid . I got what I needed done for when the glass goes in, hopefully this week. Next weekend I will finish the painting.

edgephoto

Thanks guys!. If I can spare some time this coming weekend I hope to get the front dash reassembled and the 2 floor plates templated.

Then I won't be able to work on it again until mid-December. Headed to my place in Florida soon

edgephoto

Impatient? Why?

Waiting for paint to dry so you can flip over and do the other side, then do the same for the color?

Yea, me too. This is a good weekend to do this because I won't have time to do much more on the 'hoe besides paint these.

orangeman

Edgephoto: Great work so far, what I am wondering about is why is the floorplate so oxidized, heck the floorplate is inside the cab where it would not be exposed to the condensing elements. Did Cat really use recycled metal for their floorplates when these units were new. Keep up the great work - this is an interesting thread. ~ Orangeman

edgephoto

@orangeman I think there are several reasons for the rot.

1. Seems all 426s of this vintage had rot here. I looked at buying a whole cab from AZ or somewhere dry and they had rot too.

2. The machine was a town owned machine so I am guessing the operator had salty boots. They probably used this machine to load the snowplow sanders with the sand/salt mix used in the winter.

3. When I got it someone had replaced the windshield with a poor fitting piece of plexiglass glass. I leaked like a sieve anytime it rained. There was like a 1/2" gap at the top where it stuck out and water just poured in. The doors did not seal when closed, adjustments were way out and weatherstrip was damaged.

It now does not leak when it rains. The rot was only on the cab. The machine's frame is excellent. I originally was just going to just deal with the floor. Once I got started I decided to just cut out all the rotted stuff and replaced it with new metal. I treated all the cavities with Waxoyl and painted everything with a rust encapsulating primer.