• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My CAT 426 Project

edgephoto

Thank you. Haven't touched it since I got the paint on. Thanksgiving, vacation for a couple weeks, then rain/snow on weekends. I have this week off and was planning on cleaning my garage to make room to bring home the doors and fix and paint them so I can get glass fitted. But it rained near everyday and my son came home on leave so been spending time with him.

I have some painting and fabricating of other stuff I want to do so I can get the cab back together, glass fitted and water tight.

edgephoto

Well it has been a while since I did anything worth posting about. The weather is finally better and I am making time to get back on this project. Over the last few weeks I repaired some small pieces. The lower parts were rotted so I cut off the rot and welded new metal on them. Those pieces are painted and ready to be bolted back in.

Last week I brought the right door home. It is the worst of the two doors. I took the glass out, which is cracked, to use as a template for when I reassemble and the other hardware was removed too.

I decided to start with the window frame. The outer skin was pretty rotted at the bottom so I cut a section off and made a new piece to weld in place. I ran out of time today to weld. I did get a coat of weld-thru primer on things. Next weekend I will get this piece welded in place and the frame primed. Then onto the big door piece.

A few pics of the door:

IMG_0370.jpeg IMG_0372.jpegIMG_0373.jpeg

Last edited:

edgephoto

Yesterday I finished welding on the window frame. Today I was able to get the second coat of MasterCoat primer on it. Later in the week I will paint it Cat Yellow and fill the hollow areas with Waxoyl to stop any unseen rust.

IMG_0410.jpeg IMG_0411.jpeg IMG_0414.jpeg

The brush marks flatten out as it dries. If not 100%, I could scuff it lightly but I kind of don't care. I am not showing this. I am fixing it to get years out of it and make it presentable.

Next up....the door.

edgephoto

Finally had some time to get back on my project. The right hand door was very rotted at the bottom. I cut off the outside "skin" just below the door handle and made a new panel. The reinforcements were pretty bad too but I was able to leave a small amount. My son was home on leave due to my father passing so he pitched in and it was nice having a helper for a change.

This is what it looked like when I started:

IMG_0370.jpeg IMG_0373.jpeg

edgephoto

Time gets away from us all. Over the last week we snuck some time in working. Finally got the door finished today. Now I need to drop it at the glass shop for new glass. I will hopefully start on the left door next weekend.

IMG_0582.jpeg

To try and prevent rust from coming back we drilled and injected Waxoyl cavity wax into the hollow spaces

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13

edgephoto

Been working on the left door. This one did not need much work. Mostly grinding the rusty spots and treating.

Here is what I started with:

IMG_0610.jpeg IMG_0613.jpeg

This door was less rusty but has had a rough life and poor repairs.

IMG_0621.jpeg IMG_0622.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Appeared someone left their pet Parrot in the weld shop for whomever did previous repairs. Bird Sh!t everywhere

Very nice repairs

edgephoto

Appeared someone left their pet Parrot in the weld shop for whomever did previous repairs. Bird Sh!t everywhere

Very nice repairs

You aren't kidding. The welds were awful and just piled up. I spend a fair amount if time grinding them and fixing the mess. I am no professional welder but my welds are better than that.

edgephoto

I got both doors back from the glass shop. My left door not only was a mess with piles of welds it was twisted. I did not realize the twin was not supposed to be there until after I painted it. I was able to twist it back into shape and get the glass put in.

Monday the glass shop came out to pattern the glass and next week they should be going to install it. That will get me an enclosed cabin finally. Then I can reinstall the interior and get her back to operating condition.

Getting excited to have her back in one piece.