• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My Case 580C Rehab.

JDT4430

I recently purchased a Case 580C (unsure of year model due to the serial plate appearing to have rusted away but Im thinking its a newer model as all of the cylinders have single pistons in them and it is a power shuttle). We got it for $1000 and after checking all fluids and topping off the hydraulic oil and the shuttle oil was able to but a good battery in it and fire it up fold up and lock the backhoe up while it was pouring oil out of one of the boom cylinders and drive it onto a trailer and haul it home. I purchased a seal kit that had seals for all of the cylinders minus the two steering cylinders but I also ordered them as well. I repacked both boom cylinders and all four cylinders on the loader, replaced one of the long metal lines that runs down the loader frame and brazed up a pin hole in one of the curl cylinder lines. This got me to the point that I am at now which allowed me to at least dig a hole to bury two dead cows. There are still a few small leaks that need attention and most of those will be taken care of by rebuilding the remainder of the cylinders. Also the ranch hand at the ranch we bought it from said the motor had been rebuilt sometime in the last ten years and did not have very many hours on it.

With all of that being said while digging the hole it seemed to lack digging power. If only using one function it seemed to be decent but not great and if you tried to move say the boom and the dipper together it would just stop unless it was a very small cut, It also was very slow to pick up a full bucket of wet material from the bottom of the hole. The bucket curl by it self seemed to have plenty of power. I have not had a chance to use the front end loader yet so I can not say how well it is working.

I have clicked through almost every page in the backhoe forum and tried to read through every thread that appeared to have to do with 580C's and some that didn't. With that being said the first thing that I am going to check is the pressure on the discharge line form the pump as a starting point and go from there(found a thread from 2013 that explained how to do this). My question for now is were else do I need to check pressures at and what other things should I check to figure out were the issue may be.

Just as a back ground/reason we bought the backhoe I work full time and run cows on the side with my dad an there have been plenty of times on the ranch were we really could have used a backhoe and when I came across this one it was to cheap to pass up. We have 500 acres and run about 120 head of cows and that keeps us busy enough so be patient with me as I do not get the chance to go work on the backhoe every day.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
At that price your ahead of the game already,,!!

Good luck with it..... and you gotta love being able to "work with my Dad"....

Delmer

I don't know where you'd find the spec, but for cycle speed you typically get the backhoe up to working temperature, curl the backhoe all the way up, boom up, stick back, bucket curled all the way, then extend it all the way out, boom, stick and bucket extended straight out, then pull it all back in fully curled and time the total out and back in. That will give you a cycle speed to compare. A real rough test would be to do that cold and then after operating it for an hour, if it's significantly faster cold, then the pump is worn and leaking oil more as the oil gets thinner/warmer.

Otherwise, it's typical to not be able to operate two functions without feathering them to get them both to operate a little, just the nature of the hydraulic system, crude.

Delmer

Check the old one for debris, youtube has a couple methods if you're not familiar with the procedure, the vice method or the solvent method.

JDT4430

Well I got a chance to get a few more things knocked out this weekend. I got new battery cable ends soldered on and got both of the steering cylinders rebuilt. I also pulled the grill out and removed the lower cover on the front and noticed that the suction hose there appears to be seeping oil so I am sure it is sucking air while running so I am going to go ahead and replace all suction hoses and then follow the steps in the manual to flush the entire system. Did not have the proper fitting to adapt to test the main pump discharge pressure and will likely wait till I get the suction hoses replaced before testing now so that it will be as accurate as possible.

JDT4430

Here is a picture of what I am working with. It had what looked like a frame for glass attached to the ROPS that was pretty well rotten and has been cut off of the ROPs. And the paint job they did to it was pretty well worthless and probably did more harm than good. Painted over all decals and appears that there was very little surface prep. Maybe one day it will get a proper coat of paint but thats years away at this point.

Attachments

• D55D2E58-C6AD-4994-9814-C15D410EFD07.jpeg
    D55D2E58-C6AD-4994-9814-C15D410EFD07.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 82

franklin2

I see you have a wide bucket on it. The guy I got my 480c off of had a wide bucket like that and said it didn't dig very well at all. When he sold it to me he gave me the wide bucket and it had a narrow 12 inch bucket on it. It's a digging machine with that narrow bucket.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Low mileage, one owner creampuff..But looks like the guy got drunk and found a case of rattle cans..not even the right color yella for cripe sakes! Can't get nothin' good for $1000 bucks these days..:rolleyes:

JDT4430

Low mileage, one owner creampuff..But looks like the guy got drunk and found a case of rattle cans..not even the right color yella for cripe sakes! Can't get nothin' good for $1000 bucks these days..:rolleyes:

One thing is for sure and that is that it is not a cream puff. And yes the wrong color yellow is the thing that bothers the me the most. I can wrench on pretty much anything and I really dont mind painting but I really hate prep work.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Just like chrome don't get ya home, paint doesn't help ya dig...Fix all the mechanicals first then get another case of rattle cans of the right color and go to town..At this point you really can't screw up that paint job..

JDT4430

AFD6886C-39CE-42D3-B5D2-2A54967BF85D.jpeg
Just like chrome don't get ya home, paint doesn't help ya dig...Fix all the mechanicals first then get another case of rattle cans of the right color and go to town..At this point you really can't screw up that paint job..

Paint will be the very last thing I worry about if it ever gets it. After repainting our 4430 John Deere I have had enough for quite some time.

Last edited:

JDT4430

Parade only tractor JDT ?

No it still carries its full weight on the ranch. Drag pasture, shred, make hay, disk you name it does it, just at a farther distance from the trees! We also have a 3020 that my grandpa bought new that I hope to redo eventually and a 6615. The 4430 actually gets used more now than before since its a lot more comfortable to run now that it has air ride seat and it actually has a cab interior kit.

JDT4430

Update/More Questions. So I finally got around to getting some more work done on the BH. I decided that that the most important thing to do was to get a few gauges working so I ordered a set of gauges for water temp, motor oil pressure, and volt meter. After getting this installed it was obvious the alt. was not charging so I swapped it out with a spare I had on the shelf and the belt was so worn and stretched that I did not have enough adjustment to take out all the slack so decided to go ahead and drain all the hydraulic fluid so that I could pull the pump and replace all the suction hoses all at the same time while I was in there replacing the belt also going to replace the rubber bushing on the coupler. The oil that came out looked pretty bad and obviously had water contamination so once everything is back together I am going to try and do the full purge of the lines and cylinders as described in the manual. I have also drained all of the old diesel out of the tank which was nearly full and have it pulled out to try and get most of the rust out of the tank. My plan is to dump some gravel or small bolts in the tank and add several gallons of apple cider vinegar and strap it in the bed of my truck and drive around a few days then rotate and repeat until all sides have had a chance to get cleaned up then rinse with diesel and reinstall. If any one has a better ideal I'm open to hear them.

Now for my questions. On a power shuttle can the rear out put shaft seal be replaced on the machine or do you have to pull the rear bearing retainer housing to do it. Looks like it should be able to be done in place but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Also has anyone ever replaced the seals on the top side of the steering valve. I have not tore into this yet but it appears these seals are leaking as I have fluid coming out of the steering shaft jacket.