• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My 580B Resurrection......

jerry D enright

Nothing wrong with synthetic oil except the price.

If you still have the drained kerosene, put a new gallon through the engine with the drain open, catch it in the same bucket as the first gallon, let it settle, siphon off 1 1/2 gallons and use that to pour through the engine again. IF you do it so it drains into a clean white bucket, you can tell when you don't get any more water or gunk out with each new rinse.

just wondering where you added the kerosene to the go thru the engine? will that take all the sludge out?

Cbait580b

Diesel would have probably done a little better.. The kerosene did get rid of more of the sludge. I bought some Rotella pretty cheap so doing some fairly quick oil changes.. I should have this thing back together in another week or 2. I'll run this oil an hr or 2 then drain and fill again with another new oil filter.

Cbait580b

So sorry.. I never answered ur question.. I poured the kerosene down the oil fill/ dipstick tube.

jerry D enright

cbait, I was just wondering... how are you doing with the restoration project? Mine is a little aggravating because trying to deal with lazy reps at case that say the part is no longer available instead of trying to locate it. Other than that meeting some very knowledgeable people with years of experience on tractors. thanks jerry

Cbait580b

Last few days it's going well.. Today I got the thing all bolted back together. Hooking all sorts of linkages back up and have to fabricate some new rubber bushings to bolt the steering column back down. Somewhere in the garage is 1 of the rubber pads for the fuel tank, it fell off the bracket and rolled or bounced to a nice hiding place. As for parts I have found Dale Weiss at Tractor Stuff to be indispensable. He knows these old tractors inside and out. I have used used parts, new aftermarket and oem. The trans and final drive had been pretty much overhauled.
This old machine will be used here on the farm for the occasional project, waterline, stump and pen cleaning. It's not going to be a show piece.

Cbait580b

I need a photo of the steering column mounting on a 580b diesel with the mechanical shuttle . I have looked at the parts exploded view many times. Someone has had this thing apart in the past and not put it together correctly. What I really need is a good photo of the G45343 bushing, I can't find 1 online. Thanks....

Cbait580b

Spent most of the day working on the "money pit" again. Getting close...today I got the steering column mounted with what I had to work with using rubber cushions from a sway bar link. Both shifter covers are on and the trans and shuttle filled fill their fluids. I got the new shut off cable installed with a little wrench I fabricated to loosen and tighten the cable stop on the pump...it worked pretty darn well. Brakes and clutch adjusted. Tomorrow is mounting the starter and bleeding the fuel system. Bolt the backhoe brackets on and look everything over before I crank the old thing up. The PO took the seat base apart and have to figure out how too collapse a 4ft long spring in about 15". Any ideas appreciated on that...

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I always hated messing with the seats, they were a pain in the butt. What I used to do is put the base in a bench vise and install the spring and the seat and use my body to compress the spring and have someone install snap ring.

Cbait580b

Guess I need to look at the parts view closer... I didn't see a snap ring.
Of course on my last day off for 6 days or so it's raining on startup day. At least we have daylight saving time now..lol

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Haha yeah raining here also. The ring is actually a spiral ring regular snap rings never would hold.

Cbait580b

I need some help.... Finally got a chance to fire the "Money Pit" up. The starter kicks out or doesn't engage the flywheel. The teeth on the starter ring are perfect. I didnt have any trouble a year ago when I first brought it home. I'm guessing the starter drive is bad. I took a chance and put a new soleniod on but no fix. Also I have a bad squeak while it does stay engaged long enough to spin the engine several revolutions. Sounds like from the bell housing area. The clutch disc was installed the correct way and the torque tube slid right to the engine. The number on the starter is 1107874 Delco....

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Remove starter and check travel of Bendix make sure it is going all the way out. Did you grease the throw out bearing when you installed it?

Cbait580b

I got a new starter drive today, got it installed this afternoon. The starter works like it should now. The squeak is coming from the new clutch. I had adjusted free play in the clutch pedal to the proper amount when I reassembled. The pedal only moved down about 2" after the free play amount. I thought that was odd but continued hooking everything backup. That was last week. With the starter now fixed I fired it up today, bad squeal.Ran it a few mins and shut it down. I took off the side cover for the clutch bearing and there was some smoke it there. I noticed that the pedal now had no free play. I took the adjustment linkage apart thinking it was set too tight somehow after it ran. Only thing I can think of is the throw out bearing is not facing to the release levers correctly. Anyway... It looks like she's coming back apart.... If it weren't for bad luck... I'd have no........

Cbait580b

It's now a few more weeks since I last posted on the progress on the "Money Pit"... I had to split it back apart to find the local clutch shop had not quite got me the right pressure plate. The end of the throw out bearing collar was rubbing against the splined hub rivited in the p plate. I called Mr. Dale at TStuff and found that That center hub could be removed. Took the plate back to the shop and he performed the needed corrections. I put the "Pit" all back together and as of last Friday night it backed out from the garage under it own power. Hooray!!!!!! A quick trip up and down my long drive trying all the gears and new brakes. I spent Sun and Mon studying my manual and the rest of the pile of parts I had brought home 1 1/2 years ago. Front floorboards, fenders rear hoe brackets and rops are bolted back on. Now I'm making a new list of repairs the "Pit" still needs.. Leaks...water pump..alternator...steering tie rods.. Hoping to finally have decent internet in a few days to post some pics.

Cbait580b

I have the front end torn down now for a new water pump, hoses and ordered a new radiator. The old one looked pretty narly and questionable...lol. I soaked the coupler shaft and wire brushed it hoping this Mon(next day off) that it will slide back for a new belt. Why didn't someone tell me there would be about 30 lbs of grease, oil, mud and crap in the front casting? LOL.... I had to take a drill with a spade bit from underneath to loosen the stuff up so i could vacuum it out.. Currently it's sitting backed up to the garage with the front end tarped up waiting for Monday..

Cbait580b

Work had kept me busy during all this virus mess and rain on what days I do have off. I have the new thermostat, water pump, hoses and radiator installed. The rain held off long enough to pour in the A/F this morn. Got the system full and noticed A/F running down the water pump coming from the upper mounting bolt that has 2 holes in the pump casting... WTF???? The old pump and gasket also has these 2 holes. I don't like using rtv to heavily so I just ran a smear on both sides of the gasket. I guess I'll have to remove the fan and WP and make a new gasket w/o the other hole. Someday next week maybe the rain will stop so I can take it back apart again.....

Cbait580b

Finally got some time a few days ago to take the "Money Pit" back apart. I didn't look close enough to what type of washer is used under the leaking bolt. A copper sealing washer. I picked 1 up from work and replaced the lock washer I had used. The cheap aftermarket radiator I got what I paid for I guess. Had to do some modifications but it's back in. Refilled the cooling system and at this point no leaks. The 1 wire alt is mounted and charging. After running it quite awhile I installed all the sheetmetal. I even replaced the missing headlight and they are working now.
The weather again this spring like most parts of the country is too darn wet. Going to be next week before I can hopefully(rain permitting) I'll get a wrecker out here to lift the backhoe unit off my trailer. Then to figure out how to get it to stand back up. The control station is parallel to the ground and the boom is swung full to the right. I still have a few hydraulic leaks in fittings and lines to fix.