• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My 580B Resurrection......

Cbait580b

Got the garage cleaned out today. Power washing the beast tomorrow b4 she gets pushed in. Thinking of spreading some visqueen down and then cardboard over that. The floor still has that new concrete color....LOL. Getting the other trans and rear end Weds, he's bringing it to me.. Awesome.... My trailer still holds the hoe unit. Gotta get a couple of pair of heavier jackstands from work and build an adjustable roller stand to support the bellhousing, prob just block the motor under the pan. One pair of stands under the front axle, the other under the loader frame in front if the rear axle. It looks like I can use my "a" frame to support the steering column and strap up the tank to the loader cross support. Yeah I know wedge the rad support to the axle. Anything I'm missing???

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Sounds like a typical restoration some good some not so good but all in all it'll work. The transaxle will work on the mechanical shuttle housing with no problems. Two things to remember though, there are shims that are on the transaxle main shaft that go between the shuttle and the transaxle front cover, it depends on the cover clearance of how many there are. The other thing is the gasket that goes between the two housing DO NOT use any silicone or sealer on the gasket. For one the silicone will come off and get in the torque tube and could cause problems and the gasket can leak. The axles are splined into the bull gears in the transaxle housing and retained with nuts and cotter pins to lock the nuts. There is a seal in the axle housing to prevent oil from getting into that housing, it faces toward the bull gear.

Cbait580b

Thought is was time to posts some photos of the beast.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Norms phone 149.jpg
    Norms phone 149.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 133
  • Norms phone 151.jpg
    Norms phone 151.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 140
  • Norms phone 2 001.jpg
    Norms phone 2 001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 136

Cbait580b

The PO had started fixing it when he quit. The hoe, fenders, mounts and orops are here. I got the shuttle trans yesterday, getting ready to power wash it.

Cbait580b

It's been a few days since I posted. My friend finally got a chance to come over and look at things. He is going to take the shuttle and and duel range units home to check them over. I going to order some snap rings(found a broken 1) seals, bearings and cups, thrust washers etc.....hopefully from TractorStuff. Meanwhile, I will split the tractor at trans and the torque tube. Then use something like a tranny jack to pull the torque tube to replace the clutch. Oh..and I have a 7 day cruise in less than 2 weeks.. Sounds like this is going to be a longer time frame than I wanted... LOL

Cbait580b

I called Tractor Stuff last Fri and ordered a bunch of parts to go thru the trans with. Dale is getting them put together and will ship soon as possible. Meanwhile life has kept me away from the old "B", when we get back from vacation I will be more than ready to tear into the repairs.
Dale is a wonderful source of knowledge, he gave me many tips, we will have to swap the trans main shaft from the power shuttle to the mechanical shuttle.
Anyway... On my next post look closely, hopefully I'll be sporting a nice tan....lol

Cbait580b

Search this site for 580b trans. You can also go to the Case parts website, they have very good parts views with part number listings or ask someone to email it to you

Cbait580b

Back from vacation and the weather is cold.....brrrrr. Tractor stuff sent my parts and I'm ready to fix this thing. I don't have a lot of room so I plan to split the rear end from the torque tube, then drop the torque tube to replace the clutch. Does anyone have a good idea for some sort of trany jack to use on the torque tube. I do have a fairly heavy caster wheel unit that I can build a jack unit on.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
If you are going to replace the clutch at engine then it would be easier to split it at the engine. That's the way I always did it when I worked on them.

Cbait580b

Wow...how time gets away from a person...Update.. My 580b is still in the garage ready to split. Think I have most all my parts except for the brakes. My question is.. At work we r discontinuing our 80w140 in 5 gal buckets. I know 80w90 is the correct weight.but this stuff is priced cheap.. Would it work ok??

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Wow...how time gets away from a person...Update.. My 580b is still in the garage ready to split. Think I have most all my parts except for the brakes. My question is.. At work we r discontinuing our 80w140 in 5 gal buckets. I know 80w90 is the correct weight.but this stuff is priced cheap.. Would it work ok??
That will work just fine for your transaxle.

Cbait580b

I finally have a couple of days to work on the B. I split it from the torque tube and rolled the rear end back, pretty easy. I have been work in on splitting the 580ck rear end and torque apart from the parts tractor. It's a torque converter trans, I have all the covers off and nut and bolts between the diff and trans out. It separates about an inch and then won't move any more. I noticed the clutch pack trying to separate when I gently tried to pry the 2 housings apart. Where does this type trans come apart?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Adjust your height on either the rear or the front one or the other is off a bit. Try putting a pry bar between housing and rear clutch pack housing sometimes the splines stick.

Cbait580b

Ok. I have the rear on blocks but it is downhill some. I'll level it out. Have an engine hoist on the torque tube with a leveling adjuster. It does separate behind the clutch pack?? Thanks Coy

Cbait580b

Another question... I have to raise the steering column and fuel tank to clear the front right steering mounting stud. The space between the top of the fuel tank and the loader cross support pipe looks smaller than the height I have to raise the column to pull the torque tube section. Ideas??