• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My 580B can not even move!!!

airr

I am new as backhoe owner. I just bought this for my yard project. I feel it was very weak to move up on to a hill before. I had to push the fuel padle all the way down to drive it up. Yesterday, I tried to start it, it won't move either forward or backward no matter which gear. But the loader and hoe work fine though. I am trying to fix it myself, but no idea where goes wrong. Thanks for anyone who can help!

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
Simple thing to do is to check the transmission fluid in it. I'm not sure how its done on a Case 580 as we've owned Cat for the past 15 years.

airr

I checked it. It is yellow and quite thick fluid. what should I look about it?

tx_swordguy

Occupation
Retired fire fighter
not absolutely sure on the case, but it sounds like you have water in the oil. Most of the hyrdaulic/ transmission oil is clear and at least the JD303 equivilant is roughly about 20 weight +/- so it is not overly thick and pours pretty easily. You need to change the fluid (probably all the way around) and filters. If that doesn't help, than there are plenty of Case guys on here that will help you out as far as checking it out further. Most backhoes don't have much if any power in the upper gears. If you get it into the 1-2 gears and it still won't make it move than you have some problems.

Galute

Sounds like possible water in the fluid. I would drain it, flush it then fill it with the proper fluid.

airr

I found these two caps in the cab floor. took the pics and upload here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 4,282

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not real familiar with the B series, mostly worked on D's and up. The caps in the pic look like they're for the gearboxes, your describing a problem with the fwd/rev shuttle trans. Look in the engine compartment for a dipstick around the rear of the engine, like you would see on an older car. Or you could get under the machine and you'll see the shuttle trans bolted to the flywheel housing, the you should see where the dipstick tube goes to check it. It should have Dexron or maybe hyd oil in it. Ggraham and Goose are good Case guys, maybe they'll jump in here. ;)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah man, that's some nasty looking stuff! :eek: You need to drain your gearboxes and refill with Tractor/trans fluid. Might have to do it a couple of times to flush all that out. And you need to replace the boot on the gearbox shifter, that's a prime source of water ingress into the gearbox. :)

airr

I guess that the 1 is transmission fluid stick and the 2 is torque converter fluid stick. The fluid from 2 looks not as clear as TCS hydraulic fluid, might be something wrong there? I might need to service both of them? For diagnosis, please let me know, if you want to see more other pic's. Thanks.

airr

Hi, ATCOEQUIP, you are talking about replacing the transmission fluid in red circle spot 1 right? should I take care the fluid in spot 2?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi, ATCOEQUIP, you are talking about replacing the transmission fluid in red circle spot 1 right? should I take care the fluid in spot 2?

Yeah, you need to replace both. You've got water in your oil. But we still haven't got to your problem of not being able to move. Even with water in the oil, you should at least get some movement at cold start up. I'm at the Case website right now looking at diagrams, I see the B model is nothing like the D series and up, which is what I'm familiar with. From what I'm seeing on the parts pages, the B series offered a mechanical shuttle or a power shuttle. I don't know which you have, nor do I have any experience with the B series so there's not much tech help I can offer. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I wish someone with experience with the B would jump in here. This looks like what you might have on your mahcine. It shows the convertor and the fwd/rev clutch pack. You can see the dipstick that looks like the one you have just in front of the 4 speed shifter.

Attachments

• Case 580B 001.jpg
    Case 580B 001.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,815

100mileBob

I have Just bought a 580b and I have been fixing it up by changing all the fluids. My manual says that your No.1 dip stick is the transmission /trans-axle and it takes 80/90w gear oil. The No.2 is the power shuttle it take TCH or the equivalent universal tractor fluid. You should get a shop manual or operators manual from the net somewhere it would help a lots with all the right servicing issues

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's some good info right out of the book 100mileBob, the differential is using gear oil and the shuttle trans/4 speed is using TCH or tractor/trans. The oil is still secondary to me at this point, I'm more concerned with "not moving". When I look at the parts diagrams I see a pump that is driven by the torque convertor when the engine is running. When you select fwd or rev, the selector valve sends oil pressure to the clutch pack that you have selected, either fwd or rev. It's unlikely that both fwd and rev clutch packs have gone bad at the exact same time, so I tend to think they're not the problem. More likely there is a problem with pump, control valve, or linkage to control valve. I do agree with the first step, get that nasty oil out of there and get some fresh oil in it. Find the cheapest thing you can for now, because I'm certain your going to have to drain it at least one more time to flush that stuff out of there. ;)

airr

Hi 100mileBob, I notice that there are two number 2 plugs located on bottom as shown in the diagram ATCOEQUIP uploaded and both of them need to be unplugged in order to drain the transmission fluid out, right? Also, there is a third plug, the same number 2 part, but located on upper side, I don't know what that is used for? Thanks for help!