• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mustang mtl20 glow plugs

m1008

Doing some work on my mustang mtl20 getting it ready for spring for a few jobs I have lined up, changed fluids and filters, plus changed a sprocket and flipped the track. Last thing on my list is getting the glow plugs working, I have no power going to them, checked all fuses and followed wires from glow plugs as far as I could, where is the glow plug relay located on this machine? That's the next thing I plan on checking, I'm thinking somewhere in the rear, I have a service manual but I'm still unsure where it's at or what else to check, any help would be appreciated!!!IMG_20190317_175404843.jpgIMG_20190318_201521042.jpg

m1008

Lol I bought it that way, I would of changed it a LONG time ago. I think this machine had a hard life but it runs and drives great so I'm hoping I can get some use out of it

m1008

you can hook a test light to the positive on the batter and touch the spot on glow plug where the wire hooks if it doesn't light up it's bad

skata

you can hook a test light to the positive on the batter and touch the spot on glow plug where the wire hooks if it doesn't light up it's bad
ok thanks. when real cold out, the machine dont start as easy as it used to.

DIYDAVE

Or you can test the resistance on each plug, with an ohm meter...;)
Also, check the GP fuse, and read the owners manual, some GP's operate for just a few seconds, while some may operate for a minute or 2...

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
ok thanks. when real cold out, the machine dont start as easy as it used to.
You can all take the glow plugs
out .Connect the positive to a battery with a jumper .That use another jumper and ground it the body plug should start to glow a bit .But do not leave it on there or you burn stuff up.