1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mustang ME3003

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by john146, Jan 10, 2020.

1. john146

john146 Active Member

I saw one that I could get for 10k (bargained down). Anyone know anything about these? Some searching suggests this is equivalent to a Gehl 303?

2. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    The machine is built for Gehl/Mustang by Wacker. They are solidly built, obviously it is old and used and subject to how it was maintained, but they are solid. Some of the ergonomics are a little odd if your used to a Japanese mini ex, but I wouldn't be scared of one.

john146 likes this.
  3. john146

john146 Active Member

Thank you. I went ahead and bought it. It seemed to be well maintained, I couldn't discern any leaks or such. Controls were a bit jerky, but I'm happy. Now for a skid loader.

4. john146

john146 Active Member

I now have it at home. This thing seems to work fine, but it started overheating after about an hour of use... Maybe something wrong with the radiator?

5. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I would check to see if the radiator isn't plugged with dirt. I have it happen with some of mine, especially when doing demo.

6. john146

john146 Active Member

I tried to ease on the throttle a bit, and haven't experienced overheating. Will need to figure out how to access the radiator though.

I'm not sure if the hour meter is accurate. At first it seemed it was 1400, but it looks like it's been reset, and it's actually 14hr + xx, which is obviously incorrect.

7. john146

john146 Active Member

Radiator seems clean, and I topped it off with coolant, but to no avail. Maybe I need to flush the old coolant?
    It's not really that much of a problem as I'm able to get quite a bit of runtime out of it before it overheats.

It's also missing a fuel cap. Where can I get it? In general, where's a good place to find parts for this? The fuel gauge also doesn't seem to be working.

Also, which buckets normally fit? I could take measurements but I'm unsure what to search for.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 2:33 PM
  8. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    You should be able to find some help with a Mustang dealer of course (good luck finding one of those), a Gehl dealer and a your best source would likely be a Wacker Neuson dealer. You would want to find the corresponding Gehl model number and WN for the machine you have. Once you have that, some of the used part resellers on the Net could help you as well at a cheaper price. Werk Brau can help you with buckets and thumb fittings, WB may also be an easy source to locate the sister machines from Gehl and WN.

9. john146

john146 Active Member

Thanks!

Looking for an oil filter now.. not fun. The 3003 (AKA Gehl 303) has different engines depending on the year. The specific engine that I have, I have no idea how to locate a filter for. I guess I can check what's already inside there, though.

10. john146

john146 Active Member

and the battery won't charge. lovely...

11. john146

john146 Active Member

Seems it's the tension on the belt, but the gehl 303 manual steps to adjust the tension don't seem to work well at all...

12. john146

john146 Active Member

ahh some WD-40 does the trick. Definitely needs a new belt though. So far it's been pretty good except for the belt (which would explain the overheating and battery charging issues. Belt not tight enough = fan not spinning fast enough, alternator not spinning fast enough).